Justice Scalia LOR Help or Hurt?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dakatz

Re: Justice Scalia LOR Help or Hurt?

Postby dakatz » Mon May 23, 2011 3:03 pm

It doesn't matter if your letter comes from the president or the pope or anyone else. If they don't know you personally and can't speak to your character and ability, then it is an ineffective LOR. The signature at the bottom of the letter doesn't change that.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Mon May 23, 2011 3:14 pm

wait...... nobody has asked OP's numbers yet!?

Anyway, without meeting you, the letter would pretty much be your resume with Scalia's signature at the bottom.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon May 23, 2011 3:31 pm

dakatz wrote:It doesn't matter if your letter comes from the president or the pope or anyone else. If they don't know you personally and can't speak to your character and ability, then it is an ineffective LOR. The signature at the bottom of the letter doesn't change that.

No, this isn't true.

It's funny, b/c if you wrote the exact same post in a thread asking about an LoR by, say, the dean of OP's law school, then I'd agree with you and chalk the bolded words up to hyperbole.

But it's not hyperbole. This is Scalia, and law schools are going to (a) notice the letter is from Scalia, (b) think "hmm, I've never seen Scalia do this before," (c) talk amongst themselves, and wonder how much Scalia really wants the OP to get in, (d) decide that it's worth admitting the OP (one seat out of 200) to avert the slim chance that Scalia will never again come to deliver a presentation at the school, or, worse, deliver a snide comment about the school that will be published on ATL and the ABA magazine.
Last edited by flcath on Mon May 23, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Mon May 23, 2011 3:45 pm

flcath wrote:OP might just be a clueless 0L who doesn't realize how exceptional this would be.

This. I honestly just didn't realize how much pull someone like Scalia would have in the admissions process. Think the Great Bambino scene from Sandlot... :lol:

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon May 23, 2011 3:48 pm

flcath wrote: This is Scalia, and law schools are going to (a) notice the letter is from Scalia, (b) think "hmm, I've never seen Scalia do this before," (c) talk amongst themselves, and wonder how much Scalia really wants the OP to get in, (d) decide that it's worth admitting the OP (one seat out of 200) to avert the slim chance that Scalia will never again come to deliver a presentation at the school, or, worse, deliver a snide comment amount the school that will be published on ATL and the ABA magazine.

You're doing a lot of speculative psychoanalysis here (in above quote).

Everyone would agree that such a letter couldn't hurt, but I too am skeptical that Judge Scalia would write a letter for someone he doesn't know.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon May 23, 2011 4:41 pm

If they get together and play golf all the time, see if you can either play a round or get him your resume. Get him some personal information, and the LOR could be at least slightly useful.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon May 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
flcath wrote: This is Scalia, and law schools are going to (a) notice the letter is from Scalia, (b) think "hmm, I've never seen Scalia do this before," (c) talk amongst themselves, and wonder how much Scalia really wants the OP to get in, (d) decide that it's worth admitting the OP (one seat out of 200) to avert the slim chance that Scalia will never again come to deliver a presentation at the school, or, worse, deliver a snide comment amount the school that will be published on ATL and the ABA magazine.

You're doing a lot of speculative psychoanalysis here (in above quote).

Everyone would agree that such a letter couldn't hurt, but I too am skeptical that Judge Scalia would write a letter for someone he doesn't know.

Yeah, well, you're right to be. I'd give it a 0.0003% chance that OP actually gets such a letter.

But it'd definitely be meaningful. With all due respect (actually, this isn't a bad thing at all), I'd bet $$$ you're not in law school. There is remarkable concern for dumb shit like this in law school.

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Mon May 23, 2011 4:49 pm

coldshoulder wrote:If they get together and play golf all the time, see if you can either play a round or get him your resume. Get him some personal information, and the LOR could be at least slightly useful.

You must be a 0L. You really have no clue...

Scalia could write one sentence --(X is a great law school candidate and I personally recommend him)-- and that one line alone would be greater than any LOR you could obtain.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon May 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Can your uncle get him to write one for me? And if it wouldn't be too much, can Scalia have all of the SCOTUS judges sign it, you know, like a World Series baseball signed by the entire team.

k, thanks.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon May 23, 2011 4:52 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:I doubt Nino would even be willing to do this for someone he's never met, knowing what I know about him. He's a no nonsense kind of guy, he's not going to waste his time.

Please note that referring to Justice Scalia as "Nino" does not make you look cool.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon May 23, 2011 4:53 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Can your uncle get him to write one for me? And if it wouldn't be too much, can Scalia have all of the SCOTUS judges sign it, you know, like a World Series baseball signed by the entire team.

k, thanks.

OUTTED for not knowing any Con Law!

Everyone knows you can't get more than 5 members of the Court to sign anything these days.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon May 23, 2011 4:54 pm

see if you can get Rehnquist, instead. these things skyrocket in value after death.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Mon May 23, 2011 5:09 pm

coldshoulder wrote:If they get together and play golf all the time, see if you can either play a round or get him your resume. Get him some personal information, and the LOR could be at least slightly useful.

Actually just got off the phone with my uncle, he is going to try and set the four of us up on a golf outing sometime this summer, where hopefully I'd get a chance to explain to him why I want to go to law school, interests, etc. We'll see, not getting my hopes up.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon May 23, 2011 5:19 pm

OP is a buffoon

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon May 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Paraflam wrote:

Actually just got off the phone with my uncle, he is going to try and set the four of us up on a golf outing sometime this summer, where hopefully I'd get a chance to explain to him why I want to go to law school, interests, etc. We'll see, not getting my hopes up.

we're all incredibly excited for you. please update us daily.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Mon May 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Wow, I honestly didn't realize this topic would draw so many trolling suspicions. Anyway, thanks again for the responses.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon May 23, 2011 5:35 pm

Paraflam wrote:Wow, I honestly didn't realize this topic would draw so many trolling suspicions. Anyway, thanks again for the responses.

you're welcome. i hope you'll repay the favor when i start my next thread: "my 12 inch cock: pro or con?"

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon May 23, 2011 5:40 pm

fatduck wrote:
Paraflam wrote:Wow, I honestly didn't realize this topic would draw so many trolling suspicions. Anyway, thanks again for the responses.

you're welcome. i hope you'll repay the favor when i start my next thread: "my 12 inch cock: pro or con?"

lololol

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Mon May 23, 2011 5:41 pm

After reading about how getting a LOR from someone who doesn't really know you just because they are some kind of VIP is usually a bad idea, I thought it was a legitimate question as to whether this would apply in this case as well. I apologize if I came off as trying to "rub it in", I am pretty clueless when it comes to certain aspects of admissions, as someone else said.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 pm

flcath wrote:But it'd definitely be meaningful. With all due respect (actually, this isn't a bad thing at all), I'd bet $$$ you're not in law school. There is remarkable concern for dumb shit like this in law school.

Busted. I am a 0L. But in all fairness who the heck knows what law school admission departments really care about beside the LSAT? Regarding the selection process, there's not a whole lot of transparency or even consistency among top schools (outside of LSAT scores of course).

That's probably why there's no consensus on this thread as to how much such a letter could help.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon May 23, 2011 6:14 pm

It won't help, Breyer will send the school a dissenting LOR explaining why you're an asshole.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon May 23, 2011 11:00 pm

TheFactor wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:I doubt Nino would even be willing to do this for someone he's never met, knowing what I know about him. He's a no nonsense kind of guy, he's not going to waste his time.

Please note that referring to Justice Scalia as "Nino" does not make you look cool.

+1

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon May 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:It won't help, Breyer will send the school a dissenting LOR explaining why you're an asshole.

TITCR

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon May 23, 2011 11:09 pm

Do it. I bet Thomas will sign on to the letter too.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Mon May 23, 2011 11:19 pm

Maybe you should offer to carry his golf clubs.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”