Transfer Possibility

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
redlighter
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Transfer Possibility

Postby redlighter » Sun May 22, 2011 3:44 am

If you all remember me, I solicited my past issue concerning a 146 LSAT in Tampa, Florida coupled with a 3.32 UGPA and that I was being bombarded with rejections left and right. My first choice school was Stetson, since I live locally and attended USF, but obviously that fell through due to a low LSAT. Several members on this board advised me to take a year off and re-take the LSAT in a year after further study so I could see a substanial score appreciation. There already was an increase from 137 in December 2010 to 146 February 2011.

As it turns out, Barry in Orlando accepted me. I know such an explication invites flaming, but it could have been worse- Thomas Cooley, FAMU (which has had epidemic issues with its accreditation), or Ave Maria (which purges non-pious followers). At any rate, rather than allow a year in my education to lapse, I am going to attend Barry for the first year, try to secure strong grades, and make an attempt to transfer into Stetson second year. This seems like a smart risk, because competition for transfer at UF and FSU will be too vicious, and the idea of transferring from Barry to Stetson is simply one private school to another. Is there anything in particular I should know about the transfer process, and will this even be realizable? Due to living in Tampa, it's more economical to attend law school in St. Pete rather than making the commute anyway. If I can end up near the top of my first year class, will this be possible, and how will this affect law review at Stetson as well as moot court? I'm really not in the mood to be mocked in this thread; I'm only going with Barry for the first year because I don't test well at the LSAT and I feel 1L grades are a better way for me to show Stetson my aptitude. If anyone can offer any 1L advice concerning this or how to make sure I can end up at Stetson next fall, I'm all ears.

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Transfer Possibility

Postby TT09 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:36 am

redlighter wrote:If you all remember me, I solicited my past issue concerning a 146 LSAT in Tampa, Florida coupled with a 3.32 UGPA and that I was being bombarded with rejections left and right. My first choice school was Stetson, since I live locally and attended USF, but obviously that fell through due to a low LSAT. Several members on this board advised me to take a year off and re-take the LSAT in a year after further study so I could see a substanial score appreciation. There already was an increase from 137 in December 2010 to 146 February 2011.

As it turns out, Barry in Orlando accepted me. I know such an explication invites flaming, but it could have been worse- Thomas Cooley, FAMU (which has had epidemic issues with its accreditation), or Ave Maria (which purges non-pious followers). At any rate, rather than allow a year in my education to lapse, I am going to attend Barry for the first year, try to secure strong grades, and make an attempt to transfer into Stetson second year. This seems like a smart risk, because competition for transfer at UF and FSU will be too vicious, and the idea of transferring from Barry to Stetson is simply one private school to another. Is there anything in particular I should know about the transfer process, and will this even be realizable? Due to living in Tampa, it's more economical to attend law school in St. Pete rather than making the commute anyway. If I can end up near the top of my first year class, will this be possible, and how will this affect law review at Stetson as well as moot court? I'm really not in the mood to be mocked in this thread; I'm only going with Barry for the first year because I don't test well at the LSAT and I feel 1L grades are a better way for me to show Stetson my aptitude. If anyone can offer any 1L advice concerning this or how to make sure I can end up at Stetson next fall, I'm all ears.


You should know that it's damn near impossible. You better make sure your grades are top-notch.

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Transfer Possibility

Postby forty-two » Sun May 22, 2011 9:27 am

OP, you should really read this: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=124519

Going to school with the intent to transfer is a horrible idea. Everyone thinks they'll be at the top of the class and that they'll put in more work than everyone else to get there. However, everyone works hard, AND hard work alone won't necessarily get you good grades. I know a ton of very smart people who are below median at my school because they just aren't good at writing law school exams, and no one really knows if they have this skill before they get to law school. Further, even if you are good at this, just one bad grade can sink your GPA and rank (you could have an off day, be sick on the day of one of your exams, have a prof who writes a weird test...). Also, what is it about the LSAT that you aren't good at? I ask because most law school exams are worth 100% of your grade. So, the stress, time pressure, and the feeling that a lot is riding on just a few hours exists both for the LSAT and for ls exams. Also, if you transfer into Stetson I'm pretty sure you'll have to end up paying sticker, which would leave you with a lot of debt.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the best thing you can do for yourself is retake the LSAT. A higher LSAT score will give you a much better chance of getting into the school you want to go to, and instead of accruing debt, you can be making money to pay for school during your time off.

And btw, I was lucky enough to do well last semester and I'm working on transfer applications right now. I'm not just making stuff up, needlessly discouraging you, or simply repeating stuff I've read on here. The transfer process is very difficult and stressful, and I'm so glad I go to a school I love on a good scholarship. This way, even if I'm not successful in my transfer attempt, I'll be happy staying where I am.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Transfer Possibility

Postby txadv11 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:51 am

forty-two wrote:OP, you should really read this: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=124519

Going to school with the intent to transfer is a horrible idea. Everyone thinks they'll be at the top of the class and that they'll put in more work than everyone else to get there. However, everyone works hard, AND hard work alone won't necessarily get you good grades. I know a ton of very smart people who are below median at my school because they just aren't good at writing law school exams, and no one really knows if they have this skill before they get to law school. Further, even if you are good at this, just one bad grade can sink your GPA and rank (you could have an off day, be sick on the day of one of your exams, have a prof who writes a weird test...). Also, what is it about the LSAT that you aren't good at? I ask because most law school exams are worth 100% of your grade. So, the stress, time pressure, and the feeling that a lot is riding on just a few hours exists both for the LSAT and for ls exams. Also, if you transfer into Stetson I'm pretty sure you'll have to end up paying sticker, which would leave you with a lot of debt.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the best thing you can do for yourself is retake the LSAT. A higher LSAT score will give you a much better chance of getting into the school you want to go to, and instead of accruing debt, you can be making money to pay for school during your time off.

And btw, I was lucky enough to do well last semester and I'm working on transfer applications right now. I'm not just making stuff up, needlessly discouraging you, or simply repeating stuff I've read on here. The transfer process is very difficult and stressful, and I'm so glad I go to a school I love on a good scholarship. This way, even if I'm not successful in my transfer attempt, I'll be happy staying where I am.

Gideon Strumpet
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am

Re: Transfer Possibility

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 11:41 am

txadv11 wrote:Going to school with the intent to transfer is a horrible idea. Everyone thinks they'll be at the top of the class and that they'll put in more work than everyone else to get there. However, everyone works hard, AND hard work alone won't necessarily get you good grades. I know a ton of very smart people who are below median at my school because they just aren't good at writing law school exams, and no one really knows if they have this skill before they get to law school. Further, even if you are good at this, just one bad grade can sink your GPA and rank (you could have an off day, be sick on the day of one of your exams, have a prof who writes a weird test...).

That's about 1/4 the size that it should have been. I'm not kidding.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Transfer Possibility

Postby dr123 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Just retake the damn LSAT dude

redlighter
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Transfer Possibility

Postby redlighter » Sun May 22, 2011 12:52 pm

My issue with the LSAT is that it's "supposed" to gauge certain aspects of critical thinking and reading comprehension, but in the end, it's no more a test on what one has learned in college than if I asked a medical school graduate to name contemporary bands. I believe I would do better on law school exams because the subject matter tested will be what I have been exposed to during the course of the class coupled with a hypothetical fact pattern applying the principles of law. While the BAR is still a free-for-all, at least it bases many of its questions on what was actually learned in law school. I took an LSAT prep course with Blackstone, but I feel I've hit a wall in scoring, and I don't know what more I could gain from a third attempt. It harkens back to the problem of letting a year of education lapse. I feel I can adequately prepare for an exam where I know the materia the exam is going to be drawn from, while the LSAT is a crapshoot.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Transfer Possibility

Postby cinephile » Sun May 22, 2011 1:00 pm

You've improved from December to February, which is great. I'm sure if you took the time over the summer to really focus on the LSAT you could improve even more. Instead of thinking of this as a year off from your education, think of it as an investment in your future. Besides, taking a gap year can be a wonderful experience. Whether you do something you've always wanted to do (and won't be able to after you start a career path in law) or you just work and save for tuition, taking a year off is a good idea.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Transfer Possibility

Postby dr123 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:04 pm

redlighter wrote:My issue with the LSAT is that it's "supposed" to gauge certain aspects of critical thinking and reading comprehension, but in the end, it's no more a test on what one has learned in college than if I asked a medical school graduate to name contemporary bands. I believe I would do better on law school exams because the subject matter tested will be what I have been exposed to during the course of the class coupled with a hypothetical fact pattern applying the principles of law. While the BAR is still a free-for-all, at least it bases many of its questions on what was actually learned in law school. I took an LSAT prep course with Blackstone, but I feel I've hit a wall in scoring, and I don't know what more I could gain from a third attempt. It harkens back to the problem of letting a year of education lapse. I feel I can adequately prepare for an exam where I know the materia the exam is going to be drawn from, while the LSAT is a crapshoot.


Well no fuckin shit, thats the fuckin point of the LSAT. However the LSAT is a very learnable test in and of itself




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Baidu [Spider] and 7 guests