Schools that offer A+'s Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Teoeo

Silver

Re: Schools that offer A+'s

Post by Teoeo » Sun May 22, 2011 12:34 am

dr123 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
dr123 wrote:Eh, I have a hard time believing the difference between a 3.9 and 4.0 would make any sort of difference, even at hys
Well, that would be good news then. As an upper-middle class white male without any superb softs, I found that in my UG application experience I was only admitted to the schools where I was around the 75th percentile for both the GPA and SAT. I assumed those at or below the medians are typically minorities, athletes (obviously irrelevant for law school, though), and legacies (especially at my school). After that experience, I aimed to attempt to stay above the 75th percentiles of my target schools. I know that that fall from 4.0 to 3.9 would put me below that at Harvard, not sure about Y or S. Idk if anyone else feels this way, but like I said, at least for my own mindset, I think it is important to stay above the 75th percentiles, and if you fall below it is a bit of a crapshoot.
HYS rejects tons of 4.0s, you need something that separates you from the pack.

You're probably not going to get HYS just because you have a 4.0 and a 180
FTFY

Kimchi_smile

New

Post by Kimchi_smile » Sun May 22, 2011 12:36 am

Teoeo wrote:
dr123 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
dr123 wrote:Eh, I have a hard time believing the difference between a 3.9 and 4.0 would make any sort of difference, even at hys
Well, that would be good news then. As an upper-middle class white male without any superb softs, I found that in my UG application experience I was only admitted to the schools where I was around the 75th percentile for both the GPA and SAT. I assumed those at or below the medians are typically minorities, athletes (obviously irrelevant for law school, though), and legacies (especially at my school). After that experience, I aimed to attempt to stay above the 75th percentiles of my target schools. I know that that fall from 4.0 to 3.9 would put me below that at Harvard, not sure about Y or S. Idk if anyone else feels this way, but like I said, at least for my own mindset, I think it is important to stay above the 75th percentiles, and if you fall below it is a bit of a crapshoot.
HYS rejects tons of 4.0s, you need something that separates you from the pack.

You're probably not going to get HYS just because you have a 4.0 and a 180
FTFY
+1

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 12:47 am

Teoeo wrote:FTFY
?

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 12:48 am

dr123 wrote:HYS rejects tons of 4.0s, you need something that separates you from the pack.
Yep. Something like a 4.1.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun May 22, 2011 12:51 am

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
?
Fixed That For You

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 12:56 am

Dany wrote:
Gideon Strumpet wrote:
?
Fixed That For You
Ah. Thanks. Every guess I could come up with involved a lot more obscenities.

Kimchi_smile

New

Post by Kimchi_smile » Sun May 22, 2011 12:58 am

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
Dany wrote:
Gideon Strumpet wrote:
?
Fixed That For You
Ah. Thanks. Every guess I could come up with involved a lot more obscenities.
I guess you guessed, "For The Freaking Yale"?

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 1:04 am

Kimchi_smile wrote:I guess you guessed, "For The Freaking Yale"?
F**k That Fern, Yo.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:05 am

Fuck that fuck yay!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Sun May 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Rice University gives out A+s

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun May 22, 2011 3:32 pm

Both undergrads I attended gave out A+s, but few professors actually awarded them. Not sure it's useful to collect info on who gives out A+s since you'd have to be lucky enough to get the right teacher and get perfect scores worthy of an A+.

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Sun May 22, 2011 5:11 pm

cinephile wrote:Both undergrads I attended gave out A+s, but few professors actually awarded them. Not sure it's useful to collect info on who gives out A+s since you'd have to be lucky enough to get the right teacher and get perfect scores worthy of an A+.

This is what I was thinking. My undergrad offers A+'s, but it's up to the professors as to whether or not they offer them. Some of the ones that do make them nearly impossible to get, while others are a bit more lax.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sun May 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Makes sense, but does anyone maybe know of an online college that offers A+'s? Or specifically someone who has received an A+ online? That would probably be the most useful, since no matter of location anyone could register.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun May 22, 2011 6:43 pm

cinephile wrote:Both undergrads I attended gave out A+s, but few professors actually awarded them. Not sure it's useful to collect info on who gives out A+s since you'd have to be lucky enough to get the right teacher and get perfect scores worthy of an A+.
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:50 pm

The trick is finding colleges that give them regularly. My school gave them but nobody ever received them because they were only worth 4.0.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun May 22, 2011 6:54 pm

My undergrad gave them out a lot. Usually anything 97 and up was an A+ though one or two professors I had made it 100 and up.

Kimchi_smile

New

Post by Kimchi_smile » Sun May 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Dany wrote:My undergrad gave them out a lot. Usually anything 97 and up was an A+ though one or two professors I had made it 100 and up.
Mine is also 97 and up.

In Humanities it's probably next to impossible to get an A+, unless you're really brilliant. I came close to getting A+ in an undergraduate law class. I got 98 on the midterm and 97 on the final exam. But the prof ended up awarding me only an A...Maybe my class participation wasn't worthy of an A+.

But always aim for 100, OP!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:04 pm

University of Maryland started offering them but it doesn't count on your real gpa but it matters for the LSAC gpa.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sun May 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
Kimchi_smile wrote:I guess you guessed, "For The Freaking Yale"?
F**k That Fern, Yo.
TITCR

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am

The University of Memphis allows A+. It just depends on the department/instructor whether they actually do it.

PhilEconCS

New

Post by PhilEconCS » Mon May 23, 2011 11:16 am

University of Pittsburgh classes can award the A+ grade, but it depends on the class/professor. It's usually courses where the grade is very numerically determined (ie math, physics, other sciences) that can award the A+ but it's very hard to do so because these classes also tend to be weeder classes for the science majors.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:52 pm

the United States Military Academy gives out A+'s. i recommend enrolling there.

Ssushi

New

Post by Ssushi » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:15 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
phillaw wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:My school gives out A pluses but they count them as regular A's (4.0). LSAC counts them as 4.33. Result was that my GPA got a nice boost.
i thought this was a bogus thread, but is this for real? you can just take a random class at another undergrad school that offers A+'s and boost your LSAC gpa? Seems kind of unfair for LSAC to do that--kids who get perfect As at non-A+-giving schools are at a huge disadvantage!--that is, unless they game it like the OP wants to and take a summer class at a A+-giving school. i never knew this was possible. but of course, it might look weird if you graduate from, for example, Princeton with Bs but have 3 A+'s from Mercer County Community College. I think adcomm will just weigh your LSAT more heavily in that case.
No they would not be at a huge disadvantage because they would have a 4.0. Couple that with a great LSAT score and they could go to any school in the country. But I agree that it is unfair.
This. I know kids who somehow manage to pull almost all A- all the time. THey have like a 3.7 GPA now, but if the school only gave out A's with no +/- system they would be near a 4.0. I would much rather go to a school without + or - grading that go to one that gave out A+'s

Horchata

Bronze

Post by Horchata » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:16 am

UCSD and I think also UCLA. Bastards

PolarBear

New

Post by PolarBear » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:02 am

Arizona State University gives out A+'s. Unfortunately, as many others have stated, the professor is the authority on grades. From my experience, I had classes that only offered minus grades, no plus. I have had a few classes where an A+ was a 97 percent, and I've had a lot of classes where an A+ required a 100 percent.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”