Rigor of Individual Study and Law School Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
californiabeauar

Rigor of Individual Study and Law School Admissions

Postby californiabeauar » Sat May 21, 2011 1:38 am

Throughout college I've taken 13-15 units each semester. I'm going into my senior year and have just over a 4.0 (LSAC GPA) and work part-time while in school. My question is how will adcoms look at the number of units I've completed each semester (most semesters have 13 units completed) and factor that into the admissions process. Again, I work part-time, attend a relatively good school and am majoring in Psychology, if that helps any. Any advice/comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Gideon Strumpet

Re: Rigor of Individual Study and Law School Admissions

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Sat May 21, 2011 1:41 am

They don't report "credit hours taken per term in college" to US News. They do report your 4.0+ GPA.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat May 21, 2011 1:41 am

You're golden with that GPA, regardless of anything else. The other factors probably won't particularly hurt or help IMO (having worked through school could maybe help a little- give you a slight boost over someone with the same numbers. Also, perhaps the low credit hours could hurt a little, but I kind of doubt it).

It's all about the LSAT for you now. Hit high enough, and any door could open.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sat May 21, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat May 21, 2011 1:43 am

I did something similar. I had enough AP credits that I took 12 hours for all but 2 semesters, just enough to remain full time. I worked part time, 20-30 hours per week.

If you have an LSAT above median at the schools you're applying to, and it's not one of HYS, I don't think they'll care that your 4.0 was achieved while working and taking a minimal courseload. Don't think H will even.

All of that being said though, I've had a pretty objectively terrible cycle for my numbers, and I suppose it could be because of this. I think it has more to do with rolling admissions though.

californiabeauar

Postby californiabeauar » Sat May 21, 2011 2:04 am

Thanks for the responses; i've always been unfamiliar with the way in which adcom's look at the units (credit hours) completed per semester or quarter. Googling around doesn't seem to provide a reliable answer, either. Thanks, again

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat May 21, 2011 2:31 am

They will not notice or care.

californiabeauar

Postby californiabeauar » Sat May 21, 2011 3:31 am

Sorry for beating a dead horse, but does anyone have any other advice? Does completely the major within four years matter more than taking heavier course-loads?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat May 21, 2011 3:35 am

Dude, you have a 4.0.

GPA? Check. Done. Stop worrying about it. You need to focus on the LSAT if you haven't taken it yet. No adcomm is going to nitpick a 4.0.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:36 am

californiabeauar wrote:Sorry for beating a dead horse, but does anyone have any other advice? Does completely the major within four years matter more than taking heavier course-loads?

First of all OP, congrats on that GPA -- many law school applicants would kill for that GPA. Second, major or heavier course loads don't really matter. As of right now the LSAT will be the most important factor in your law school applications. Don't waste that immaculate GPA -- I would say don't apply with anything less than a 165.

californiabeauar

Postby californiabeauar » Sun May 22, 2011 3:55 am

thanks for the responses. I have a slightly new question: I plan on enrolling part-time in school next semester, but will still graduate on time. Will doing so influence admissions decisions at all? I expect not---given the answers above---but I have no idea.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sun May 22, 2011 10:44 am

Just for perspective, due to financial reasons, 102 of my credits came from a community college. 39 came from the degree-granting four-year university, and I cracked T14 w/ $$ (with a 3.6, not a URM). You're worrying about nothing. A part-time semester, or a semester off, isn't going to damage you, not even marginally. Take the extra time and focus on the LSAT, it will matter more than anything else in the end. You have a 4.0 GPA, the only thing that will matter now is your LSAT. For realz, bro.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”