GPA floors Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wade LeBosh

Bronze

GPA floors

Post by Wade LeBosh » Fri May 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Which top schools have known hard GPA floors and what are they? I've heard about a GPA floor at UVA, but I haven't seen a consistent number.

Kabuo

Silver

Re: GPA floors

Post by Kabuo » Fri May 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Floor at UVA is 3.0, which holds for most of the T14. I think it's more like 3.7 for H, 3.8ish for Y and S, and maybe 3.3 at CCN (although there are certainly exceptions to this, especially the CCN one).

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri May 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Kabuo wrote:Floor at UVA is 3.0, which holds for most of the T14. I think it's more like 3.7 for H, 3.8ish for Y and S, and maybe 3.3 at CCN (although there are certainly exceptions to this, especially the CCN one).
Stanford certainly doesn't have a "hard" floor at 3.8, it is more about your accomplishments once your GPA goes below median. Yale is probably similar, although I don't know as much since I didn't apply.

I generally agree with the rest.
Wade LeBosh wrote:Which top schools have known hard GPA floors and what are they? I've heard about a GPA floor at UVA, but I haven't seen a consistent number.
OP - to clarify your question, these "hard floors" are completely inapplicable for URMs. If you are majority or ORM then they will apply.

It's hard to define a floor for a URM candidate because there are by nature far fewer of them with competitive stats. In the T14 there have been reported URM acceptances below the 3.0 GPA floor

Flustercluck

Bronze

Post by Flustercluck » Fri May 20, 2011 6:58 pm

bdubs wrote:It's hard to define a floor for a URM candidate because there are by nature far fewer of them with competitive stats. In the T14 there have been reported URM acceptances below the 3.0 GPA floor
I think you may be overestimating the URM boost, or at least how it's applied. I'm a sub-3.0 URM splitter and from the research I've done on LSN the 3.0 floor applies to URMs in most of the T14 save for at Northwestern and in some circumstances Gtown.

URMs below 3.0 in past 3 cycles according to LSN

Mich - 1
VA - 3, 0 this year
Penn - 2 2.9s in 08-09, none in past two cycles
Duke - 1 in 08-09, no one below 3.3 in past two cycles
Cornell -4 in 08-09, none in past two cycles

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri May 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Texas has a pretty solid GPA floor around 3.5

http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats ... Cycle=1011

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Vandy has a fairly hard 3.3 unless you did engineering or a similarly less deflated major.

eli88

New

Post by eli88 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm particularly interested in GPA floor for CCN.

Can anyone else confirm that it's 3.3? Thanks

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Fri May 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Look at Lawschoolnumbers.com, that's where everyone else is going to get their data, you might as well look and analyze yourself.
eli88 wrote:I'm particularly interested in GPA floor for CCN.

Can anyone else confirm that it's 3.3? Thanks

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Fri May 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Short answer: as suggested, LSN.

Long answer: I doubt many of these schools have actual hard floors; it just looks that way. It's more that they stack the pile in descending order of admission index, work their way down, and stop when they run out of seats. In hindsight it may appear there was a "floor," but that just happens to be where they stopped; and where they stop goes up or down depending on overall volume, whether they're trying to shrink or grow the class, and stuff they can't control like grade inflation. Schools are also all over the place on how they handle diversity, legacy, ED, EA, early start, and other out of band admits, so that also makes it unlikely you can define anything that looks like a cutoff until after the season ends.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Fri May 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:Short answer: as suggested, LSN.

Long answer: I doubt many of these schools have actual hard floors; it just looks that way. It's more that they stack the pile in descending order of admission index, work their way down, and stop when they run out of seats. In hindsight it may appear there was a "floor," but that just happens to be where they stopped; and where they stop goes up or down depending on overall volume, whether they're trying to shrink or grow the class, and stuff they can't control like grade inflation. Schools are also all over the place on how they handle diversity, legacy, ED, EA, early start, and other out of band admits, so that also makes it unlikely you can define anything that looks like a cutoff until after the season ends.
So, effectively, it's a floor, but it's really not a floor?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri May 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Gideon Strumpet wrote:Short answer: as suggested, LSN.

So, effectively, it's a floor, but it's really not a floor?
lol. I was thinking the same thing.

Kimchi_smile

New

Post by Kimchi_smile » Sun May 22, 2011 12:42 am

If your GPA is at the floor level, I think you have to get an LSAT above the median for a certain T13 school to be given a serious consideration...

By the way, a 3.3 is too low for CCN. A 3.5 seems more reasonable.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 12:46 am

Kabuo wrote:So, effectively, it's a floor, but it's really not a floor?
Maybe this will make it easier: There is no floor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 am

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
Kabuo wrote:So, effectively, it's a floor, but it's really not a floor?
Maybe this will make it easier: There is no floor.
Nah, it was better before. Now it's just misleading.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 1:17 am

Kabuo wrote:Nah, it was better before. Now it's just misleading.
Yeah, truth is funny that way.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sun May 22, 2011 1:27 am

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Nah, it was better before. Now it's just misleading.
Yeah, truth is funny that way.
Explaining that the floor isn't really a "floor" because it comes about as an effect of their actual admissions policies, and not as some predetermined floor, does not in any way change the fact that, effectively, there are floors at these schools. Yes, some of them vary slightly from year to year, but all prospective applicants need to know is that there are floors. They don't need you to conjecture about why the floor exists. They just need to know it does.

I think you're just trying to be cute, but if your stance is that there are not floors, you're just wrong.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 2:08 am

Kabuo wrote:I think you're just trying to be cute, but if your stance is that there are not floors, you're just wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”