Take LSAT or not to take Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
blk418

New

Take LSAT or not to take

Post by blk418 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Hey guys I would appreciate some advice. So I am scheduled to take the LSAT on June 6th and do not feel well enough prepared in order to score 165+ which I would need in order to be considered for the schools I am applying to. I am asking you all how much postponing till October puts me behind other applicants, as well as how most law schools would take say a 155 and then 165 splitter. I also have a no show from last June because I decided to take a year off and work for a prominent M&A lawyer. With all this considered, what would you do if you were in my situation.

Thanks

sonervous88

Bronze

Re: Take LSAT or not to take

Post by sonervous88 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:21 pm

blk418 wrote:Hey guys I would appreciate some advice. So I am scheduled to take the LSAT on June 6th and do not feel well enough prepared in order to score 165+ which I would need in order to be considered for the schools I am applying to. I am asking you all how much postponing till October puts me behind other applicants, as well as how most law schools would take say a 155 and then 165 splitter. I also have a no show from last June because I decided to take a year off and work for a prominent M&A lawyer. With all this considered, what would you do if you were in my situation.

Thanks
Absolutely not if you're sure that u can hit that for October. Wait. Get aplications done before the score is released. If you have apps in by the end of October you'll be fine. :)

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Thu May 19, 2011 1:31 pm

I say go for October if you feel like you are not ready for that 165+

Also, as of this June, LSAC has a new policy where you can just withdraw your LSAT registration without getting a no-show or cancellation on your record. Sure, you lose the money but its better than having to explain two no-shows slash one no-show and a cancellation.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Sat May 21, 2011 3:09 pm

blk418 wrote:Hey guys I would appreciate some advice. So I am scheduled to take the LSAT on June 6th and do not feel well enough prepared in order to score 165+ which I would need in order to be considered for the schools I am applying to. I am asking you all how much postponing till October puts me behind other applicants, as well as how most law schools would take say a 155 and then 165 splitter. I also have a no show from last June because I decided to take a year off and work for a prominent M&A lawyer. With all this considered, what would you do if you were in my situation.

Thanks
You need a score that will get you into HYS. Otherwise, waste of time and money.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:12 pm

NoJob wrote: You need a score that will get you into HYS. Otherwise, waste of time and money.
This didn't make any sense at all.

OP, I suggest you take the Oct. test. Four months of good preparation can increase your score by 10 points and 10 points means a world of difference for law school admissions. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Sat May 21, 2011 3:15 pm

dpk711 wrote:
NoJob wrote: You need a score that will get you into HYS. Otherwise, waste of time and money.

OP, I suggest you take the Oct. test. Four months of good preparation can increase your score by 10 points and 10 points means a world of difference for law school admissions. Good luck.
The only way law school is worth the investment is (1) you go to HYS, (2) you have nepotism working for you, or (3) you go for free.

An LSAT that will get you into HYS will likely cover two of the three instances in which law school is worth the cost. Otherwise, it's a waste of OPs time and money.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:21 pm

NoJob wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

The only way law school is worth the investment is (1) you go to HYS, (2) you have nepotism working for you, or (3) you go for free.

An LSAT that will get you into HYS will likely cover two of the three instances in which law school is worth the cost. Otherwise, it's a waste of OPs time and money.
LOL. For many people who aren't heavily indebted, law school is worth the investment if (s)he got in the T6 or the T13 for that matter (in which case a 168+ would suffice assuming the applicant has a high GPA). Second, if the applicant wants to go to a good regional school and plans to live the rest of their lives in that region, for example Rutgers, a lower score would suffice. Saying that only getting a 173+ (a score that 1% of takers get) is worth taking the test is an asinine statement.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Sat May 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Your GPA would help answer this question, but I would definitely avoid taking the test unprepared. The test can be trained for (especially LGs) and you should go into it having done a good amount of preparation.

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Sat May 21, 2011 8:51 pm

When a student has multiple LSAT scores, most schools use the highest score for admissions decisions. Retaking the LSAT is essentially a one-way bet: if you do better, you use that score, and if you do worse, you still have your first one (unless you bomb). I would suggest taking the test in June and retaking in October regardless of the June score. Cancel your June score if you want to keep your average up, but the average is meaningless. However, nothing prepares you for the LSAT like actually taking the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kimchi_smile

New

Post by Kimchi_smile » Sun May 22, 2011 12:39 am

OP, I would do more practice tests until there are no more available practice tests. Make sure you do realize all the mistakes you've done on the PTs and then find a way to not repeat them for the real test! Then just bravely go into the LSAT test room.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Sun May 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Don't take the LSAT until you are ready and, at the same time, don't be afraid of retaking. Retaking is a one-way bet, one does worse, no biggie, but if one improves even by a few points, biggie.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon May 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Jumping on the "October" bandwagon.

PleaseHelpThanks

New

Post by PleaseHelpThanks » Mon May 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Take the October one! There is NO reason why taking the June one would help, unless you are trying to get into Berkeley, which even then, you would be better off with a better score. Good luck!

P.S. Even if you only bump your score one or two points with that extra time, it is well worth it! Trust me!
Last edited by PleaseHelpThanks on Mon May 23, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:25 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Take the October one! There is NO reason why taking the June one would help, unless you are trying to get into Berkeley, which even then, you would be better off with a better score. Good luck!
This really didn't make any sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”