Reapplying Help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dato

Reapplying Help

Postby Dato » Thu May 19, 2011 11:25 am

Okay so I work for a well known international aid organization. I applied this last cycle, and was planning on attending this fall. I was offered a full scholarship to one T10 school, as well as partial scholarships to one other T10, and partial scholarships to two T14s. I was rejected by HS. I did not apply to YCCV. Because of unforeseen political problems in the country that I am working, some projects that I am working on have been delayed. I decided that I am morally obligated to see these projects through, and this obviated any chance of me attending law school this fall. My full scholarship could not be deferred, so I withdrew all of my acceptances.

I will be reapplying this coming cycle. Of the two schools that rejected me, only S truly interests me, so I will be reapplying there. Beyond that, I will be reapplying to the same T14s that accepted me this cycle.

What I wanted to know, given that aside from S I will be reapplying to schools that accepted me this cycle, what (if any) changes should I make to my application?

I appreciate the help/support!

CanadianWolf

Re: Reapplying Help

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 19, 2011 11:37 am

Updates on your accomplishments during the most recent year.

Dato

Postby Dato » Thu May 19, 2011 11:48 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Updates on your accomplishments during the most recent year.

in what form? addenda?

do i need a new personal statement? do i need new recs?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 19, 2011 11:51 am

It's tough to say without seeing the entire application package. But you should, in my opinion, note that the reason for delaying entrance into law school was due to your devotion to a prior commitment.

Dato

Postby Dato » Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

also, my LSAT score is a 170. i took it one time. i studied pretty hard, PT averaged around 174. should i consider a retake? or would the chance of getting a lower score make that not worth it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Depends upon your readiness to achieve another score in the 170s. Most, not all, law schools consider the highest LSAT score. If you feel well prepared, then retake if you think that a higher LSAT score will increase your chances of admission to Stanford.

jdMission

Postby jdMission » Thu May 19, 2011 4:40 pm

Your commitment to working at an international aid organization at the expense of law school is definitely admirable. You should update your resume to show that you have completed the projects you described in your post. It might also be helpful to have someone from the organization write a recommendation that could attest to your passion and earnestness in fulfilling your commitments. I would include an addendum to your application to explain the positive reasons for your withdrawal. Lastly, your LSAT score is strong. You were able to secure a place in several schools and with scholarships. If you do choose to take the LSAT again, note that each school has a different policy as to whether it considers only your highest LSAT score or the average of all of your scores. Stanford happens to be one of those schools that is not explicit about its policy. They most likely look at all of your scores. Good luck to you!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Princeton University '91
Columbia Law School '95
Co-Founder jdMission

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Thu May 19, 2011 4:43 pm

jdMission wrote:Your commitment to working at an international aid organization at the expense of law school is definitely admirable. You should update your resume to show that you have completed the projects you described in your post. It might also be helpful to have someone from the organization write a recommendation that could attest to your passion and earnestness in fulfilling your commitments. I would include an addendum to your application to explain the positive reasons for your withdrawal. Lastly, your LSAT score is strong. You were able to secure a place in several schools and with scholarships. If you do choose to take the LSAT again, note that each school has a different policy as to whether it considers only your highest LSAT score or the average of all of your scores. Stanford happens to be one of those schools that is not explicit about its policy. They most likely look at all of your scores. Good luck to you!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Princeton University '91
Columbia Law School '95
Co-Founder jdMission

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat May 21, 2011 1:15 pm

When reapplying to a school that rejected you, it's important to update as much of your application as possible. You need to give them a serious reason to look at your application again as they'll compare you to your previous application as much as to the new class that you're 'competing with' for slots. If everything looks the same, they probably won't give you the consideration that you deserve.

As such, retaking and improving your LSAT score would be helpful. Make sure that you're prepared for the exam, though, and not just relying on previous prep work to get you through it.

Also, you should write a new PS, or at least update your old one. I'm assuming that you wrote the first one on your aid work - if that's the case, then update it to include the resolution of the projects on which you're currently working. That will serve to both explain why you withdrew this year and also talk about what you've accomplished since then.

Dato

Postby Dato » Sun May 22, 2011 5:46 pm

y'all are great. i appreciate the help.

i will decide whether or not i'll retake when september comes. at that time, if i feel confident in my ability to increase my score, i'll retake. if not, i'll reapply and perhaps retake in december. considering my success in achieving a full ride to a T10 with a 170, i'll only retake if i feel sure about my prospective chances of getting a 171+.

i will rewrite my personal statement, as well as get another recommendation confirming the moral foundation behind my reasoning to withdraw and reapply.

i'm not sure about whether or not i will write another diversity statement. my background is pretty unique, and i feel like i outlined it quite well in my diversity statement last year. if you all think that i should go about this by writing a new diversity statement too, i will consider it and act accordingly. if not, i'll follow my instinct and stick with the same one that i wrote last year.

gracias de nuevo.

i'm so thankful for the support i've had from the TLS community since day one. every day i feel more confident about my decision. we only live once, and a full ride (even if it's from a top 10 school) cannot be worth compromising my morality.

if anyone has more advice to help me in the reapplication process i would love to hear it. two minds are greater than one; four are greater than two, etc.

-Dato

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”