3.2 GPA in "hard" science 163 LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Genthree

3.2 GPA in "hard" science 163 LSAT

Postby Genthree » Tue May 17, 2011 8:45 pm

I have a 3.2 GPA graduating from a nationally ranked school in my particular chemistry-related field. How much will my GPA hurt me considering the fact that my degree is in a highly-technical field?

Also, any suggestions for what range of law school I'm looking at would be appreciated. I'm planning on retaking the LSAT in June. Hoping for upper 160s.

Thanks in advance.

PinkCow

Re: 3.2 GPA in "hard" science 163 LSAT

Postby PinkCow » Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Like many on here will tell you, major concentration is minimally important. It may serve as a tie-breaker all things being equal, but LSAT/GPA are what's important at pretty much every school (save, maybe Yale, Boalt, and others, but you're not in that range). You might have a shot at some of the lower 50, but really you're looking at Tier 2 (50-100) schools with that combo. Bump up the LSAT to around 167 or so and your looking more in the 20s (maybe WUSTL would be a reach/target).

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue May 17, 2011 8:53 pm

PinkCow beat me too it.... GPAs are weighted equally for LSAC purposes. As he mentioned, between you and someone with similar numbers it could help, but I think that's about it. Possibly it could give you a very slight general boost (hard major at strong undergrad), but I would guess it would be no more than about .1 GPA point.

Genthree

Postby Genthree » Tue May 17, 2011 8:59 pm

I ask because I keep encountering quotes like this one:

"If someone has a 3.2 in Electrical Engineering from a good school,” Pless states, “I still consider that a good GPA.”

But you say it's really only a tie-breaker at best?

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Tue May 17, 2011 9:22 pm

It's true that hard majors give you a boost. Don't let people tell you otherwise. At least it was true for me. But I think you need to have your LSAT at least at the school's median to have a shot. For example, I did electrical engineering, and my LSDAS GPA is 3.06. LSAT is 167. I was accepted with money to schools where I thought I would be an auto-reject (Emory, for example, offered $36k). I was also waitlisted at a bunch of schools but later got in. I think my major made a difference.

Had i majored in English and graduated with a 3.8, I probably would've got in to better schools. But it is what it is.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Tue May 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Apply all over T1 and the top of T2. Where do you want to live?

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Tue May 17, 2011 10:35 pm

If you can, study and retake.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Tue May 17, 2011 11:35 pm

Genthree wrote:I ask because I keep encountering quotes like this one:

"If someone has a 3.2 in Electrical Engineering from a good school,” Pless states, “I still consider that a good GPA.”

Such is the reality of a difficult undergraduate major. The good news is, the LSAT is a test that can be prepared for. How much work did you do to study before you got that 163? You need to order 50 practice tests, the logic game bible, and study for this thing like it's an OChem test. In my opinion 500 hours of preparation is not unreasonable and 800 hours is much better. The only advantage you have over some of your peers in easier majors is your ability to work long, persistent hours on difficult topics. Milk this for all it's worth when preping for your retake. Get a job, study for the LSAT and get 170, and in two years you'll be looking at NU or UVa ED, WUSTL, etc.

ebo

Postby ebo » Tue May 17, 2011 11:47 pm

hurldes wrote:It's true that hard majors give you a boost. Don't let people tell you otherwise. At least it was true for me. But I think you need to have your LSAT at least at the school's median to have a shot. For example, I did electrical engineering, and my LSDAS GPA is 3.06. LSAT is 167. I was accepted with money to schools where I thought I would be an auto-reject (Emory, for example, offered $36k). I was also waitlisted at a bunch of schools but later got in. I think my major made a difference.

Had i majored in English and graduated with a 3.8, I probably would've got in to better schools. But it is what it is.

36k per year or 36k total?

Genthree

Postby Genthree » Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Corwin wrote:

Such is the reality of a difficult undergraduate major. The good news is, the LSAT is a test that can be prepared for. How much work did you do to study before you got that 163? You need to order 50 practice tests, the logic game bible, and study for this thing like it's an OChem test. In my opinion 500 hours of preparation is not unreasonable and 800 hours is much better. The only advantage you have over some of your peers in easier majors is your ability to work long, persistent hours on difficult topics. Milk this for all it's worth when preping for your retake. Get a job, study for the LSAT and get 170, and in two years you'll be looking at NU or UVa ED, WUSTL, etc.

I studied for a couple hours in the afternoon for 3 weeks prior to the test. I had tons of practice tests but probably only worked through about 10 of them. I tend to do well on standardized tests and imagine I should be able to break 170 with a little more studying. My understanding is that most schools average multiple LSATs so I'll have to break 173 to bring my average to 168. I've been studying for about a month now and have 3 weeks till the June test.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue May 17, 2011 11:51 pm

PinkCow wrote:Like many on here will tell you, major concentration is minimally important. It may serve as a tie-breaker all things being equal, but LSAT/GPA are what's important at pretty much every school (save, maybe Yale, Boalt, and others, but you're not in that range). You might have a shot at some of the lower 50, but really you're looking at Tier 2 (50-100) schools with that combo. Bump up the LSAT to around 167 or so and your looking more in the 20s (maybe WUSTL would be a reach/target).

Just thought I would chime in! You are my numbers twin and I outperformed my #s. I got into a lot of T1 schools with $$, including Illinois (the highest ranked school I applied to). I'm ending up at UF because I live in Florida, but the point is that not ALL is lost with 3.2/163 :)

Genthree

Postby Genthree » Tue May 17, 2011 11:51 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:Apply all over T1 and the top of T2. Where do you want to live?

I like the Northeast, but I want to go into patent law, so I've been looking at U Illinois which has a dual JD/MS in Chemistry.

Genthree

Postby Genthree » Tue May 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Barbie wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Like many on here will tell you, major concentration is minimally important. It may serve as a tie-breaker all things being equal, but LSAT/GPA are what's important at pretty much every school (save, maybe Yale, Boalt, and others, but you're not in that range). You might have a shot at some of the lower 50, but really you're looking at Tier 2 (50-100) schools with that combo. Bump up the LSAT to around 167 or so and your looking more in the 20s (maybe WUSTL would be a reach/target).

Just thought I would chime in! You are my numbers twin and I outperformed my #s. I got into a lot of T1 schools with $$, including Illinois (the highest ranked school I applied to). I'm ending up at UF because I live in Florida, but the point is that not ALL is lost with 3.2/163 :)

Out of curiosity, what was your major? Also, did you feel like you made up ground in extracurriculars or personal statement?

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Tue May 17, 2011 11:55 pm

Genthree wrote:
Corwin wrote:

I studied for a couple hours in the afternoon for 3 weeks prior to the test. I had tons of practice tests but probably only worked through about 10 of them. I tend to do well on standardized tests and imagine I should be able to break 170 with a little more studying. My understanding is that most schools average multiple LSATs so I'll have to break 173 to bring my average to 168. I've been studying for about a month now and have 3 weeks till the June test.

The June test feels a little early to me. Can you delay until October? Remember that in the ranges we are talking about, one question is equal to one point. It takes an impressive amount of consistency to score in the 170+ range, so much so that you should probably be getting 174+ on your PTs. With the averaging thing, some schools only consider the highest score. For example, see this interview with the Assistant Dean of Admissions at NU.

Genthree

Postby Genthree » Tue May 17, 2011 11:56 pm

Corwin wrote:
Genthree wrote:
Corwin wrote:

The June test feels a little early to me. Can you delay until October? Remember that in the ranges we are talking about, one question is equal to one point. It takes an impressive amount of consistency to score in the 170+ range, so much so that you should probably be getting 174+ on your PTs. With the averaging thing, some schools only consider the highest score. For example, see [url=http://www.top-law-schools.com/johann-lee-interview.html]this interview] with the Assistant Dean of Admissions at NU.

I could delay, but I'm also trying to take advantage of rolling enrollment. With the score turnaround from the LSAC, I'd be cutting it close.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed May 18, 2011 12:01 am

Genthree wrote:I could delay, but I'm also trying to take advantage of rolling enrollment. With the score turnaround from the LSAC, I'd be cutting it close.

Gottcha. Well goodluck! Study your ass off for June :P As in, 3-5 hours per day. A single point different in this exam has a huge impact. :)

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Wed May 18, 2011 12:05 am

ebo wrote:
hurldes wrote:It's true that hard majors give you a boost. Don't let people tell you otherwise. At least it was true for me. But I think you need to have your LSAT at least at the school's median to have a shot. For example, I did electrical engineering, and my LSDAS GPA is 3.06. LSAT is 167. I was accepted with money to schools where I thought I would be an auto-reject (Emory, for example, offered $36k). I was also waitlisted at a bunch of schools but later got in. I think my major made a difference.

36k per year or 36k total?

naw.. it was just total. So not that great.. but still unexpected and nice.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed May 18, 2011 12:05 am

Genthree wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Out of curiosity, what was your major? Also, did you feel like you made up ground in extracurriculars or personal statement?

English & Philosophy!! But I do think I made up a little with extra curric & personal statement, in the same way you could make it up with major :)

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed May 18, 2011 9:51 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”