Wait list predicament

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
risktaker

Wait list predicament

Postby risktaker » Tue May 17, 2011 4:17 pm

So I need to apply for private loans by beginning of July. In other words, I can only wait till the first week of July for the schools I am wait listed at. Is there any way of politely letting the schools know that they need to tell me whether I am in/out by first week of July or will this not fly? Any responses would be appreciated.

risktaker

Re: Wait list predicament

Postby risktaker » Tue May 17, 2011 4:39 pm

Is just waiting till middle of June the right way to go here? If I hear nothing by then, then I should let them know that if I don't hear by first week of July, I will not be able to attend due to dilemma of private loan?

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue May 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Someone's gotta know what's TITCR in this situation. Also to clarify, I am taking out a private loan because I will not be eligible for federal loans till my 2nd year.

drs36

Postby drs36 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Keep sending LOCI's, call, visit, etc. Let them know your predicament. I don't think an e-mail explaining your situation and asking for clarification as to when a decision will be made will hurt you.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue May 17, 2011 5:09 pm

drs36 wrote:Keep sending LOCI's, call, visit, etc. Let them know your predicament. I don't think an e-mail explaining your situation and asking for clarification as to when a decision will be made will hurt you.

Thanks.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Some people are offered admission even after classes start. It is rare but it happens. The closer you get to the start of school the less likely you are to be admitted off the waitlist. So if you need a decision back by July and they can't accept you at that time then you will be off the waitlist even if they might be able to offer you a spot in August (which they won't necessarily know about in advance). Of course explaining it to them is the best way but there are some cases where they may be able to offer you admission later (though these, as noted above, are rare).

I don't really know anything about private loans but I'm assuming you have at least one acceptance that you are planning on going to right now. So why can't you take out the loans for that school and then if you get in off a waitlist just change schools you are going to and use the loans to pay for the new school? Why does the loan company need to know the exact school you are going to?

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue May 17, 2011 6:11 pm

bk1 wrote:Some people are offered admission even after classes start. It is rare but it happens. The closer you get to the start of school the less likely you are to be admitted off the waitlist. So if you need a decision back by July and they can't accept you at that time then you will be off the waitlist even if they might be able to offer you a spot in August (which they won't necessarily know about in advance). Of course explaining it to them is the best way but there are some cases where they may be able to offer you admission later (though these, as noted above, are rare).

I don't really know anything about private loans but I'm assuming you have at least one acceptance that you are planning on going to right now. So why can't you take out the loans for that school and then if you get in off a waitlist just change schools you are going to and use the loans to pay for the new school? Why does the loan company need to know the exact school you are going to?

Possibly has to do with drastically different COL/Tution amounts at the two universities? Though in that case he should just get approved for the maximum amount he plans to borrow and then possibly borrow less? I actually don't have a lot of familiarity with private student loans..

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue May 17, 2011 6:25 pm

The loan company needs to get the approval to disburse funds from the school I decide to go to. If I pick a school now and they get approval from them, the checks are sent directly to that school.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue May 17, 2011 6:38 pm

About all you can do then is contact them directly, possibly the admissions director, and explain the situation. Express interest, et c. et c.; possibly be prepared to defer a year? It's a big commitment, don't "settle" just to get into law school.

Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Tue May 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Retake.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue May 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Retake.

Is a mod going to place a ban hammer on this idiot. This definitely calls for it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 pm

sounds like the bank has placed a set end time for your WL train ride. Do everything you can to stay on the WL ( and understand that June first is the due date for seat deposit number 2 at most schools) and see how it goes. If by the middle of the first week in July you havent been offered a seat off the WL- then you can remove yourself from the list at the schools,m and rest assured that you are going to the school you deposited at in the spring.

I would send a heads up email after June first to let the schools know of your situtation. Best of luck

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Wed May 18, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks northwood.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed May 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Retake.

This hasn't been funny in ages. Cut it out.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed May 18, 2011 3:20 pm

risktaker wrote:Thanks northwood.

Have you contacted the FinAid office at any of the schools you're WL at? If not, ask them if loans can be arranged after the deadline you are currently presented with if you are admitted after that date.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”