internship vs volunteering

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ikm212

internship vs volunteering

Postby ikm212 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi everyone.

I understand that 'soft factors' factor very little into law school admissions. I have a choice between working as an intern at an international human rights organization and volunteering a couple of months as a tutor/mentor at a Catholic community center. Obviously the former is more prestigious... but will it make any difference at all in my law school admissions? I would slightly prefer the latter option (b/c of personal reasons...).

Also... are internships necessary at all? How much do they help (if at all)? Does it matter if you have no internship experience at all when you apply?

Thank you

8ballistic

Re: internship vs volunteering

Postby 8ballistic » Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 pm

even if it doesn't help you with law admissions, the human rights organization will help more with securing a summer job your 1L year

jdMission

Postby jdMission » Wed May 18, 2011 11:15 am

What a great question. As you consider your options for community involvement, be sure to choose an organization about which you can be passionate and commit yourself entirely. By dedicating yourself to an organization about which you are sincerely enthusiastic, you will naturally find yourself in situations that will lend themselves to quality essays and powerful recommendations. A detailed resume showcasing your community involvement can demonstrate to the admissions committee that you would add diversity to an entering class that would not be the same without someone like you. Basically, you can’t predict the value of the experience now, but you can set yourself up for the most powerful experience by choosing the one in which you will excel.

Sunitha Ramaiah
Co-Founder/Executive Vice President

ikm212

Postby ikm212 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:52 am

Thank you for the replies. I guess this is a hypothetical question - but putting all other considerations aside, would one be preferable to the other in terms of helping you get into law school initially? If so, would the difference be significant enough to make any real impact?

Thank you.

jdMission

Postby jdMission » Fri May 20, 2011 11:43 am

Without knowing anything about your background, I'll take a stab at the hypothetical question. Law schools like to see that they are the next logical step in your career progression. If you have an interest in human rights, and the issues of law associated with it, and would like to pursue that line of work after law school, it might make sense to work at the international aid organization. Just something to think about. Good luck!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Appalachian State '91
NYLS '95
Co-Founder jdMission

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”