Prepping for Next Cycle

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spek

Prepping for Next Cycle

Postby spek » Sat May 14, 2011 7:08 pm

So I'm anxiously awaiting the next cycle and since I don't have access to any applications right now I was wondering if there are any HYS specific documents I can start getting ready/have my school send to LSAC. I've read the timeline thread on here and that was very helpful but are there any other things (specific to HYS) that I can do before the summer? Thanks!

ahduth

Re: Prepping for Next Cycle

Postby ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 7:12 pm

spek wrote:So I'm anxiously awaiting the next cycle and since I don't have access to any applications right now I was wondering if there are any HYS specific documents I can start getting ready/have my school send to LSAC. I've read the timeline thread on here and that was very helpful but are there any other things (specific to HYS) that I can do before the summer? Thanks!

Stanford-specific LORs, Stanford Form B, Yale 250?

Sorry, my numbers weren't high enough to have a realistic shot at those schools, but I believe those are the items particular to them.

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Sat May 14, 2011 7:45 pm

I'd definitely get started on your personal statement and Yale 250 way ahead of time. I know the 250 in particular can cause some legit headaches.

spek

Postby spek » Sun May 15, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks for the replies!

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Sun May 15, 2011 1:02 am

I'm also anxious to get started on this sort of thing. I've been working on my resume, personal statement, and 250. I'm planning to send emails to the people I want letters from during the next week. I'm also going to have my undergrad transcripts sent to LSAC. Other than that stuff, I'm not sure what else there is to do.

spek

Postby spek » Sun May 15, 2011 1:31 am

kulshan wrote:I'm also anxious to get started on this sort of thing. I've been working on my resume, personal statement, and 250. I'm planning to send emails to the people I want letters from during the next week. I'm also going to have my undergrad transcripts sent to LSAC. Other than that stuff, I'm not sure what else there is to do.

I did a bit of research and all I found were the Stanford forms B and C (C is for targeted letters of rec.), other than the Yale 250 I don't think there's anything else school specific that we can do before applications come out...

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun May 15, 2011 5:20 am

Those are the major ones. Everything else becomes boiler plate responses. Have a great draft of your P.S. ready to go at different page lengths because some schools allow for more length (Berkeley). You could also make school specific personal statements with a small why X section. Otherwise you should probably just relax.

cucullu

Postby cucullu » Tue May 17, 2011 3:01 pm

ahduth wrote:Stanford-specific LORs, Stanford Form B, Yale 250

This. Plus...

Re: Stanford -- Stanford makes available an optional faculty evaluation form to submit in conjunction with Stanford-tailored LORs if you choose to have your recommenders write separate letters tailored to Stanford. Giving your recommenders an advance heads up about both of these requests is a good idea. By the time I was asking in early fall, I didn't feel comfortable asking for two letters and an extra form from people, but I prob would have in early summer.

Re: Yale -- I'd write your PS before your 250, so that you have a good idea of what you have already covered and can strategically use the 250 as a chance to highlight something different and new about yourself. Also, Yale also has a Dean's Cert that will hold up your app if it isn't in.

Good luck!

spek

Postby spek » Wed May 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks, these are really helpful! I found the Stanford forms on their website and I plan on getting Forms B and C into the respective people before I leave for the break; do you know if Yale's Deans Cert form is available before the applications come out?

spek

Postby spek » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Since there seemed to be a lot of trouble with getting Dean's Certs in on time last year does anyone know if I can have my Dean's office fill them out now and then send them to LSAC or something so I don't have to wait till next fall to deal with them?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:26 pm

spek wrote:Since there seemed to be a lot of trouble with getting Dean's Certs in on time last year does anyone know if I can have my Dean's office fill them out now and then send them to LSAC or something so I don't have to wait till next fall to deal with them?

My Dean's Certs were sent directly to the law school, so I couldn't send it in until I was accepted.

spek

Postby spek » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:47 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
spek wrote:Since there seemed to be a lot of trouble with getting Dean's Certs in on time last year does anyone know if I can have my Dean's office fill them out now and then send them to LSAC or something so I don't have to wait till next fall to deal with them?

My Dean's Certs were sent directly to the law school, so I couldn't send it in until I was accepted.

Until you were accepted? Don't the schools need to have them before your application is complete?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:48 pm

spek wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

Until you were accepted? Don't the schools need to have them before your application is complete?

Harvard doesn't want it until you're accepted.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Harvard:

None, but it'd be a good idea to get a targeted LOR if you can.

Yale:

Yale 250 - 250 word essay on any topic

Stanford:

Stanford-specific LOR form. Again, it'd be a good idea to get this (probably a bit more so than Harvard because Stanford offers the form)
Dean's certification (only school I know of that requires it before acceptance)

spek

Postby spek » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:55 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
spek wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

Harvard doesn't want it until you're accepted.

Oh okay. Did you apply to Stanford and Yale as well? I'm wondering how I can deal with those Dean's Certs ahead of time.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm

spek wrote:Oh okay. Did you apply to Stanford and Yale as well? I'm wondering how I can deal with those Dean's Certs ahead of time.

They aren't that big of a deal. It's a 1-2 page form you drop off at your Dean's or counselor's office with an envelope with postage. Usually the dean / counselor just glances over your transcript, stamps their approval, and mails it off.

spek

Postby spek » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:04 pm

bhan87 wrote:
spek wrote:Oh okay. Did you apply to Stanford and Yale as well? I'm wondering how I can deal with those Dean's Certs ahead of time.

They aren't that big of a deal. It's a 1-2 page form you drop off at your Dean's or counselor's office with an envelope with postage. Usually the dean / counselor just glances over your transcript, stamps their approval, and mails it off.

Thanks. Yeah I've printed them out and I realize it's really simple but from hanging around here last cycle it seemed like people were having issues with getting the Dean's Certs in to the law schools in a timely manner. I would like to get ahead of the rush if I can by getting these out of the way now. But if there's no way to do that then I'll just try to get the forms in as soon as the applications open up.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:17 pm

spek wrote:
Oh okay. Did you apply to Stanford and Yale as well? I'm wondering how I can deal with those Dean's Certs ahead of time.

Yes, I did. Stanford's is up all year round: http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/deg ... plication/
Yale's didn't go up till October 1st last year (they thought at first that they didn't want it...then changed their minds...)

Dean's Certs take a long time if *your* institution is slow. For most people, it's no big deal.

Also:

The FAQ:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=131727
Dean's Certification List:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14974

spek

Postby spek » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:22 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
spek wrote:

Yes, I did. Stanford's is up all year round: http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/deg ... plication/
Yale's didn't go up till October 1st last year (they thought at first that they didn't want it...then changed their minds...)

Dean's Certs take a long time if *your* institution is slow. For most people, it's no big deal.

Also:

The FAQ:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=131727
Dean's Certification List:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14974

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”