How much would this help me?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
djpar

How much would this help me?

Postby djpar » Fri May 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Edit.
Last edited by djpar on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Re: How much would this help me?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 13, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm sure that would be a decent soft. Not extraordinary, but it could make for a solid PS and would be a good thing to have on your resume.

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Fri May 13, 2011 8:15 pm

It's better than most people's softs--i.e. working PT, volunteering...etc

skw

Postby skw » Fri May 13, 2011 8:48 pm

I'd consider this a better than average soft, but not amazing like a Pulitzer Prize or something. That said I think it is fodder for one hell of a PS. You can easily differentiate yourself from hundreds of other applicants your age with zero real life work experience. Spin the management/business owner thing into a 'reason you want to be a lawyer', do well on the LSAT and try to raise your GPA just a smidge and you've got excellent prospects.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 13, 2011 9:52 pm

I'd rather own a successful ice cream business than go to law school right now.

djpar

Postby djpar » Sat May 14, 2011 3:03 am

skw wrote:I'd consider this a better than average soft, but not amazing like a Pulitzer Prize or something. That said I think it is fodder for one hell of a PS. You can easily differentiate yourself from hundreds of other applicants your age with zero real life work experience. Spin the management/business owner thing into a 'reason you want to be a lawyer', do well on the LSAT and try to raise your GPA just a smidge and you've got excellent prospects.

Thanks everyone for your input. Really appreciate it.

Yeah I definitely plan on writing about that in my personal statement. It really is why I want to go to law school, I want to be familiar with all aspects of owning a business, buying more land and opening up more stores. Being well rounded with all the laws will help a lot for all my business endeavors.

As for owning the ice cream business, yeah we had a slow year last year, but things are starting to pick up again. I love what I do, being my own boss and running a business. I believe that going to law school will open up so many more doors for me and I'm glad to know that this should hopefully give me an edge for adcoms.

Again, thanks! :mrgreen:

RareBreed

Postby RareBreed » Sat May 14, 2011 3:19 am

djpar wrote:
skw wrote:I'd consider this a better than average soft, but not amazing like a Pulitzer Prize or something. That said I think it is fodder for one hell of a PS. You can easily differentiate yourself from hundreds of other applicants your age with zero real life work experience. Spin the management/business owner thing into a 'reason you want to be a lawyer', do well on the LSAT and try to raise your GPA just a smidge and you've got excellent prospects.

Yeah I definitely plan on writing about that in my personal statement. It really is why I want to go to law school, I want to be familiar with all aspects of owning a business, buying more land and opening up more stores. Being well rounded with all the laws will help a lot for all my business endeavors.

As for owning the ice cream business, yeah we had a slow year last year, but things are starting to pick up again. I love what I do, being my own boss and running a business. I believe that going to law school will open up so many more doors for me and I'm glad to know that this should hopefully give me an edge for adcoms.

Just to clarify, you want to go to law school simply because you want to understand the laws relevant to running a small business? If this is the case, do yourself a favor don't go to law school. You'd be much better off taking an online or local course and saving yourself the crippling debt. A law degree isn't going to open ant doors for you in the corporate world, especially if you plan on sticking with the family business.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat May 14, 2011 3:20 am

rad law wrote:I'd rather own a successful ice cream business than go to law school right now.

+1

djpar

Postby djpar » Sat May 14, 2011 3:40 am

RareBreed wrote:
djpar wrote:

Just to clarify, you want to go to law school simply because you want to understand the laws relevant to running a small business? If this is the case, do yourself a favor don't go to law school. You'd be much better off taking an online or local course and saving yourself the crippling debt. A law degree isn't going to open ant doors for you in the corporate world, especially if you plan on sticking with the family business.

First off, I won't be accumulating any crippling debt. I have saved a lot of money to be able to attend law school without any assistance of loans. Of course I'm hoping to get some scholarship $$$ so I don't have to spend as much, but either way, I'll be fine.

Second off, I don't want to 'just' understand the laws relevant to running a small business. Although that is what interests me, I want to be well educated and well rounded in all aspects of the law. I would like to work in corporate law, while still having my businesses on the side.

I really was hoping someone wouldn't be a douche and have some sort of smart ass comment, but alas, what can you do? And YOU do yourself a favor and shut the fuck up. Thank you to everyone who answered my question.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Sat May 14, 2011 5:08 am

be nice,

and if you want to be "well rounded," eat ice cream.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat May 14, 2011 5:25 am

rad law wrote:I'd rather own a successful ice cream business than go to law school right now.

Take note of this, OP. Not a joke.

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Sat May 14, 2011 10:31 am

djpar wrote:
RareBreed wrote:
djpar wrote:

First off, I won't be accumulating any crippling debt. I have saved a lot of money to be able to attend law school without any assistance of loans. Of course I'm hoping to get some scholarship $$$ so I don't have to spend as much, but either way, I'll be fine.

Second off, I don't want to 'just' understand the laws relevant to running a small business. Although that is what interests me, I want to be well educated and well rounded in all aspects of the law. I would like to work in corporate law, while still having my businesses on the side.

I really was hoping someone wouldn't be a douche and have some sort of smart ass comment, but alas, what can you do? And YOU do yourself a favor and shut the fuck up. Thank you to everyone who answered my question.

lol? You weren't exactly clear with how a law degree would get you what you wanted, and this poster wasn't being a douche at all. He asked a legitimate question.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 10:56 am

stylishlaw wrote:
djpar wrote:First off, I won't be accumulating any crippling debt. I have saved a lot of money to be able to attend law school without any assistance of loans. Of course I'm hoping to get some scholarship $$$ so I don't have to spend as much, but either way, I'll be fine.

lol? You weren't exactly clear with how a law degree would get you what you wanted, and this poster wasn't being a douche at all. He asked a legitimate question.

Yep. Not exactly sure why you decided to lash out at this poster. Not only is this internet, but it's an internet forum filled with future lawyers. It's called thick skin. Grow some.

The broader point here is that you best be damn sure you actually want to be lawyer. The field isn't particularly conducive to entrepreneurial types, and only a very small minority of people make bank. If you have a deep love of corporate law, then by all means go for it. What people are suggesting here, however, is that your profile doesn't necessarily suggest that law is the optimal career path. Maybe we need more information, but I personally would be considering business school way before law school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat May 14, 2011 8:22 pm

djpar wrote:I want to be well educated and well rounded in all aspects of the law.

Too bad law school doesn't teach you a lot that's actually useful

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:43 pm

djpar wrote:
RareBreed wrote:
djpar wrote:

Suddenly you throwing tens of thousands of hard earned dollars down the drain smells like poetic justice to me.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 16, 2011 12:43 am

Drake014 wrote:
djpar wrote:First off, I won't be accumulating any crippling debt. I have saved a lot of money to be able to attend law school without any assistance of loans. Of course I'm hoping to get some scholarship $$$ so I don't have to spend as much, but either way, I'll be fine.

Suddenly you throwing tens of thousands of hard earned dollars down the drain smells like poetic justice to me.

+1. I was about to say something constructive until I saw paragraph three. Dude, what the fuck?

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:53 am

Smells like a flame to me. If not, say good bye to your business and make one of the worst mistakes of your life.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 16, 2011 1:01 am

EVeryone loves going to get ice cream. I dont know of a lot of people who feel the same way about going to see their local attorney.

If thats what you want to do- then go do it. If you want to run an ice cream store- do that. however you dont need the JD to run an ice cream store. You just need a good business plan, some common sense, fresh ingrediants, and some cash flow.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”