Withdrawals

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bmarce

Withdrawals

Postby Bmarce » Fri May 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Ok I realize that you guys probably see posts like this all time, but I would appreciate your opinions. My question is in regards to withdrawals. I have some W's on my transcript. Based on my reading of the LSAC guidelines they are nonpunitive and thus they shouldn't count. I presume them to be nonpunitive because they are simply normal "W's" and because they have no effect on my GPA. A search on this forum seems to confirm my assumption somewhat, although some have said that W's will count. I called the LSAC today; they told me normal W's are not counted in their gpa calculation. If this is the case, why the conflicting statements? Why do some people still believe that they will count?

Has anyone here had a normal "W" count against them?

Here is the link to the grading system for my University:
http://www.catalog.sdes.ucf.edu/academi ... fault.aspx

The part concerning W's and gpa's is as follow's ":GPA is computed by dividing the total number of grade points assigned by the total number of credit hours attempted, less hours resulting from NC, W, WP, and I grades."

So am I right? The W's should have no bearing on my LSAC GPA right?

Bildungsroman

Re: Withdrawals

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri May 13, 2011 5:05 pm

They shouldn't, but you'll find out either way when you submit your transcripts.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri May 13, 2011 7:25 pm

W's are punitive at some schools, so I think that leads to some confusion in threads, especially when people don't specify punitive vs. non-punitive. If your W's are non-punitive then they shouldn't count. But like Bils said, you'll know for sure when you submit your transcript to LSAC.

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Fri May 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Ok I think that I have found an answer, but my insecurity forces me to seek affirmation so.... :?

I found the LSAC Transcript key database. I found the one that my schools registrar sent to the LSAC:

http://www.lsac.org/Members/TranscriptK ... 129999.htm

If I am reading this correctly, then this is the key that the LSAC will use for conversion purposes.

W's are in the omitted catergory, so I should be alright.

What do you think?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri May 13, 2011 8:32 pm

You should be good.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:You should be good.

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Sat May 14, 2011 2:58 am

Actually I do have a second question. I hope I am not annoying you guys with repetitive questions. I did a search, and did not find one like this:

At my school when you do grade forgiveness, The original course is denoted with a T followed by a grade and the repeated course is denoted by an R followed by a grade. I was looking at the Transcript conversion Key that the LSAC uses for my university and I noticed something interesting. "T" is in the omitted category.

You can see the key here:

http://www.lsac.org/Members/TranscriptK ... 129999.htm

What is your interpretation? Do you suppose that the original grade might be excluded?

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sat May 14, 2011 1:17 pm

According to the definition of symbols, which I assume to be LSAC's, a T indicates a temporary grade. That your school uses a T to indicate the original course, is a coincidence and doesn't mean that it will be omitted. LSAC's policy is to count both the original course and the retake into your GPA. Sorry.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”