Life Decision....Too confused like a typical girl

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
robotclubmember

Re: Life Decision....Too confused like a typical girl

Postby robotclubmember » Wed May 18, 2011 6:32 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:OP you write like a retard, and coming from me that's huge insult.

OP is international. English might not be her first language.

OP, just remember to bring your personal statement back here, to the PS board, when you're ready to apply. Your English may not be perfect, but someone will be willing to review it for content and grammar so that it looks perfect when you submit it.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Wed May 18, 2011 6:33 pm

This thread is annoying.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Wed May 18, 2011 6:42 pm

ResolutePear wrote:This thread is annoying.

I like it when you post, but only because your avatar is a pear with a mouth.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed May 18, 2011 6:43 pm

gabby is that you?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed May 18, 2011 6:43 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:This thread is annoying.

I like it when you post, but only because your avatar is a pear with a mouth.

Your avatar, on the other hand, is creepy.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 18, 2011 7:00 pm

I would have said you have an outside shot at YHS, but not if you write like that.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed May 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Veyron wrote:I would have said you have an outside shot at YHS, but not if you write like that.

She can get other people to help her edit it.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 18, 2011 7:21 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Veyron wrote:I would have said you have an outside shot at YHS, but not if you write like that.

Still, assuming she gets in, she can't on her exams or during her SA.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed May 18, 2011 7:29 pm

Veyron wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

HYS are pass/fail, and there are tons of BigLaw SAs who can't write for beans and are stupid besides. I think she'll be all right.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 18, 2011 8:01 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Veyron wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

HYS are pass/fail, and there are tons of BigLaw SAs who can't write for beans and are stupid besides. I think she'll be all right.

I don't know whether to be frightened or optimistic.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu May 19, 2011 11:19 am

Veyron wrote:I don't know whether to be frightened or optimistic.

I go with optimism :mrgreen:

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 pm

josephine1 wrote:Hi everyone,

Howdy? Hope things are good for everyone.

I am a newbie at TLS. I was engineering major in college n thinking abt law school. I've mediocre GPA (3.55) nuclear eng and great LSAT (1st:absent 2nd:180). I am international student and i have heard that being international makes things a bit tricky.

I wish I could get into YHS, but it seems like the chances r super slim, am I correct?

I am very ambitious and would love to shoot for a biglaw. I took a law course in ugrad and liked it a lot and was part of mock trial. Sadly, I didn't hold any leadership position in college and mostly I was too confused about what to do with my life. I thought I would like Nuclear engineering,but later I ended up not liking it. My softs are average as I was one of those girls who partied very seldom and worked to support herself.

Also, job market is getting better gradually. But, I heard law firms r not to keen 2 hire internationals, unless they r very top of their class. I am gonna work very hard and stuff, but is it like be a topper or else go back to home country :(

I have a bf who is American and neither he nor I are rich. I love him, don't know if I would marry him and people say, marrying and getting green card makes employment easier..It is a cute idea, but I don't think I am that desperate to do it as my bf is not that mature and it may take years until I wanna get married. Oh yeah, i can get loans if i want to as some relative said, she will cosign and stuff.

wondering:
-what are my chances for T-10 for scholarship and admission (i love Harvard, who doesn't :p)
-what are employment prospects for internationals at T-10 who are on F-1 only (don't wanna get married for Green card, .
-finally, i wanna study corporate law,but my college adviser said, Patent law would go well w/ my boring n insipid engg. degree. I think he is kinda right coz I don't have anything to say about why corporate law in my PS except that I just wanna...but i can make something up in my personal statement about patent law being related to my ugrad major...

help me!..i am super confused..and nobody around me knows anything about law school.

P.S.: sorry for spelling, i am not usually a bad speller!

What languages do you speak? Fluency in certain languages can be a big plus with some firms.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:38 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:OP you write like a retard, and coming from me that's huge insult.

OP is international. English might not be her first language.

I'll allow the spelling, and awkward grammar. But lack of punctuation is just insulting to the reader.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Veyron wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

I'm sure she can on exams. People rush, and everyone sounds stupid. It's LWR she has to worry about.

sting_it

Postby sting_it » Fri May 20, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm in the similar boat. Aim for as high ranking school as possible if you can somehow get a loan,because label matter tonnes in terms of getting jobs. If scholarship money is from a closely ranked school and is substantial in amount, go for that. Again, depends on personal preference.

josephine1

Postby josephine1 » Sat May 21, 2011 8:15 pm

I am fluent in Spanish and English. My grammar isn't that bad, but now as it has been pointed out, I will make an effort to improve upon it day and day out.

I researched with a PhD student in my sophomore summer which didn't result in a publication,but I worked really hard on it. I asked him if he could write me a rec letter, he said he couldn't coz his english isn't good at all and he doesn't think it will matter much coming from a student. I tried to convince him otherwise,but to no avail.

I guess a lot of you guys can relate to this that I had many downs and very few ups financially while in college. In addition to the 20 hour on campus job, I did jobs from craigslist to support myself because otherwise, I would have starved. My hands were also tied for internships and research opportunities coz of my visa status as an overwhelming majority of the companies wanted someone whom they will hire post undergrad without doing anything more than that they have to do (like applying for H1B). Then again I was at a college ranked between 40-50

I am hoping something like this won't happen at a T-6 school if I do nothing else but study and try to network all the time.
Coz it is super scary to give your 3 years to something with massive debt,good grades and good LS reputation,but miss the cut coz of visa restrictions. I know toppers won't have to worry about this,but I believe that more realistic scenario for me would be to be in top 25% if I work really hard.

Do law school publish/disclose data about international students hired etc. or anything similar available elsewhere? That will help heaps.

Thanks all for the inputs.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”