What's the difference between HYS and CCN / Should I retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rayiner

Platinum

Re: What's the difference between HYS and CCN / Should I retake?

Post by rayiner » Sat May 14, 2011 8:46 pm

The difference is just prestige versus no prestige.

Retake.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat May 14, 2011 8:52 pm

rayiner wrote:The difference is just prestige versus no prestige.

Retake.
Haha. This.

Also, waiting a year not only gets you HYS, it gets you a year of WE (assuming you can find a job with your basket weaving degree). That's probably more important to your future than the difference between HYS and CCN is.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sat May 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Exactly how important is WE? Is it simply more important for HYS students because, due to the non-distinctive nature of their grading system, students who are often caught in the mass of mostly Ps need something to stand out and differentiate themselves?
Last edited by lawyerwannabe on Sat May 14, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 9:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
rayiner wrote:The difference is just prestige versus no prestige.

Retake.
Haha. This.

Also, waiting a year not only gets you HYS, it gets you a year of WE (assuming you can find a job with your basket weaving degree). That's probably more important to your future than the difference between HYS and CCN is.
No. If you're looking to impress your parents or your dates, then sure, taking a year off to attempt to get a higher LSAT score to attempt to get HYS is worth it. Prestige is awesome if you're trying to impress people who know nothing about law or people on the internet.

A year of WE is meaningless. People will look at that and say... this person was a peon somewhere for a year. That's helping our law firm how?

Perhaps I've been working in the corporate world too long. The OP does not have clearly stated goals that require him to turn down half money at CCN.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat May 14, 2011 9:20 pm

ahduth wrote:A year of WE is meaningless. People will look at that and say... this person was a peon somewhere for a year. That's helping our law firm how?
It's about more than how law firms will see it. People fresh out of UG have no concept of working a job. Law school is more like a job than it is like undergrad. Even a year of WE would likely give them some introduction to what it's like in the real world, increase their chances of doing well during 1L, etc. Plus, HLS is considering WE in admissions now; something like 75% of the entering class this fall will have at least 1 year of WE. Retake + 1 year WE = much better chances.

Even if employers don't care about your WE, it can still make a difference in other ways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 9:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
ahduth wrote:A year of WE is meaningless. People will look at that and say... this person was a peon somewhere for a year. That's helping our law firm how?
It's about more than how law firms will see it. People fresh out of UG have no concept of working a job. Law school is more like a job than it is like undergrad. Even a year of WE would likely give them some introduction to what it's like in the real world, increase their chances of doing well during 1L, etc. Plus, HLS is considering WE in admissions now; something like 75% of the entering class this fall will have at least 1 year of WE. Retake + 1 year WE = much better chances.

Even if employers don't care about your WE, it can still make a difference in other ways.
This person has declared money at a T6 school. You're going to recommend they pass to try their chances a year from now?

db616

New

Post by db616 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:42 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:If you REALLY want to try for HYS, you could sign up for the June LSAT and retake then while having a seat deposit at CCN. If you do significantly better, you could withdraw from CCN and reapply really early in the next cycle. If you don't do significantly better, you've still got a deposit in at CCN as a Damn good back up. Good luck!
+1

I don't really care though. I just wanted to quote you cause your 'tar is amazing.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat May 14, 2011 9:44 pm

ahduth wrote:This person has declared money at a T6 school. You're going to recommend they pass to try their chances a year from now?
1) They seem to not know what they want. Rushing in to a school because they have money is not the best option.

2) Their stats are good. If they got money now, they'll very likely get it again with the same/better LSAT and a year of WE. Don't act like they're throwing that money away forever, there will be scholarship offers (and potentially bigger ones) next year if they do improve their score.

3) I think time off between UG and LS makes a significant positive difference, and I recommend it to everyone. Here it fits with his apparent desire to shoot for HYS anyway, so why not recommend it to him?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 10:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
ahduth wrote:This person has declared money at a T6 school. You're going to recommend they pass to try their chances a year from now?
1) They seem to not know what they want. Rushing in to a school because they have money is not the best option.

2) Their stats are good. If they got money now, they'll very likely get it again with the same/better LSAT and a year of WE. Don't act like they're throwing that money away forever, there will be scholarship offers (and potentially bigger ones) next year if they do improve their score.

3) I think time off between UG and LS makes a significant positive difference, and I recommend it to everyone. Here it fits with his apparent desire to shoot for HYS anyway, so why not recommend it to him?
Bolded. Because they originally declared they majored in "basket weaving." They obviously don't have any major objectives beyond becoming a lawyer. HYS doesn't give them much more than CCN does in that regard.

Look, I'm not saying that waiting a year and retaking is going to ruin this person's life. I just don't think it's going to change it terribly much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat May 14, 2011 10:27 pm

ahduth wrote:Bolded. Because they originally declared they majored in "basket weaving." They obviously don't have any major objectives beyond becoming a lawyer.
All the more reason they need at least a year of reality before going to law school.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 10:48 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
ahduth wrote:Bolded. Because they originally declared they majored in "basket weaving." They obviously don't have any major objectives beyond becoming a lawyer.
All the more reason they need at least a year of reality before going to law school.
As long as this is* about us acknowledging them having the opportunity to realize that law is not for everyone, rather than the lunacy of turning down half money at a T6 school.

As an aside, I think I'm personally going to enjoy being a lawyer.

edit: Missing word. I do this constantly, every brief I write will need to be reviewed, I know.
Last edited by ahduth on Sat May 14, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sat May 14, 2011 10:58 pm

CCN at half tuition? Pshh, might as well go flip burgers.

zombi3

New

Post by zombi3 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:52 am

So I am seriously considering this -- are all of you that recommend a retake just messing with me?

Is there a way we could get a poll going?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun May 15, 2011 9:28 pm

zombi3 wrote:So I am seriously considering this -- are all of you that recommend a retake just messing with me?

Is there a way we could get a poll going?
No poll for you! Next!

Seriously, if I were you I wouldn't retake unless each element applied:

(1) You are fine not being in law school this upcoming year.
(2) You are very confident you will score high enough to get into HYS.
(3) You have a very good reason to want HYS over half tuition at CCN (pretty much meaning you are sure you'll want academia down the road, not that CCN is a bad place to be trying to get academia, but HYS (especially Y) is just insane in that department).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”