Lower-end academia: where did they go to LS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flcath

Silver

Lower-end academia: where did they go to LS?

Post by flcath » Fri May 13, 2011 2:23 am

I've obviously seen Leiter's proportional breakdown of where top-50 LS professors got their JDs (summary: there is the Yale camp and the All Other camp), but I was wondering if anyone had ever seen stats for profs all law schools, not just the top 50.

I don't expect the top of the list to be any different, but I would expect a little more roundness down the line. For example, at Florida State (barely outside the T50), I know there are almost no T6 JDs.

I just have a gut feeling that schools are reticent (all other things being equal) to hire faculty who graduated from a far less prestigious institution than the one at they're being hired. If there's any truth to that intuition, then going down the ranks opens up more possibilities right there.

YaSvoboden

Bronze

Re: Lower-end academia: where did they go to LS?

Post by YaSvoboden » Fri May 13, 2011 3:31 am

http://www.concurringopinions.com/archi ... iring.html

This is a little old, but includes lower schools. If you click on the links to the 07 and 08 entry level reports you can see which schools hired who quite easily.

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Fri May 13, 2011 3:34 am

Looks like Yale, Harvard, and then everyone else

also ouch Georgetown

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri May 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Cool. Ty bro!

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:36 pm

J
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Sun May 15, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat May 14, 2011 2:33 am

lawschoolstudent85 wrote:
flcath wrote:I've obviously seen Leiter's proportional breakdown of where top-50 LS professors got their JDs (summary: there is the Yale camp and the All Other camp), but I was wondering if anyone had ever seen stats for profs all law schools, not just the top 50.

I don't expect the top of the list to be any different, but I would expect a little more roundness down the line. For example, at Florida State (barely outside the T50), I know there are almost no T6 JDs.

I just have a gut feeling that schools are reticent (all other things being equal) to hire faculty who graduated from a far less prestigious institution than the one at they're being hired. If there's any truth to that intuition, then going down the ranks opens up more possibilities right there.
Say what?

Take a few moments and peruse: http://www.law.fsu.edu/faculty/profiles.html#CLINICAL
Clicked on 4 random profs: IU-B, Brooklyn, Vanderbilt, Penn.

And whatever, I'm sure there are Yalies there; that's not my point. I'm wondering if these schools would be more open to hiring GULC/Vandy level types as opposed to the usual HYSC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”