New guy - first post.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shoeshine

Re: New guy - first post.

Postby shoeshine » Thu May 12, 2011 11:51 pm

Veyron wrote:You will get into Cornell and Berk at sticker, but if you want to work in AZ, ASU or U of A for free is a better-looking prospect. Lawyers at large firms don't do much trial law so if you want that you are going to have to start at a low salary. No use carting around 200k in debt to do that.

Or retake and the world will be your oyster.

P.S. Berk gives no edge in Arizona over other T-14s. If anything, it places worse becasue of their stupid grading system. Whoever said it knows nada about the market.

P.P.S. T-6? T-20? AZ firms recognize two distinctions, T3 and T-14. They may occasionaly go a bit deeper into the class for assorted selected schools (based on partner's preferences). However, this can easily be outweighted by the connections you could make at ASU. The AZ market is, quite simply, more concerned with grades than school for the most part.

+1 to all of this, except for the misspelling of because

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:00 am

Even if the goal is U of A or ASU for free I'd retake. Why not? For perspective my cold diag was 160, 3 months later I got a 167, 3 months after that a 174. I might have ended up at the same school (but I'm not sure I would have gotten in) but I got a 75k scholarship I doubt I would have had otherwise and a ton more options I definitely would not have had...so, worth it for sure.

If what you really want is to practice in Arizona then your best bets are probably:

* HYS (probably never a bad bet and doable if a 175+ retake - yeah I know thats a big if but a 167 cold is very impressive- and your GPA and some luck)

* a full ride at an Arizona law school (possible even w/out the retake - your main obstacle may be to convince them you are serious about going to their school with those #s)

* with a good retake a full ride to lower T14 (if you get to mid 170s with that GPA its very possible)

if you are open to practicing elsewhere then your calculus is different but no matter what I'd say - study seriously for the LSAT and retake it

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri May 13, 2011 12:03 am

jtemp320 wrote:Even if the goal is U of A or ASU for free I'd retake. Why not? For perspective my cold diag was 160, 3 months later I got a 167, 3 months after that a 174. I might have ended up at the same school (but I'm not sure I would have gotten in) but I got a 75k scholarship I doubt I would have had otherwise and a ton more options I definitely would not have had...so, worth it for sure.

If what you really want is to practice in Arizona then your best bets are probably:

* HYS (probably never a bad bet and doable if a 175+ retake - yeah I know thats a big if but a 167 cold is very impressive- and your GPA and some luck)

* a full ride at an Arizona law school (possible even w/out the retake - your main obstacle may be to convince them you are serious about going to their school with those #s)

* with a good retake a full ride to lower T14 (if you get to mid 170s with that GPA its very possible)

if you are open to practicing elsewhere then your calculus is different but no matter what I'd say - study seriously for the LSAT and retake it

Ummmm, I don't think I would take it THAT far. Lets not get carried away here.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:12 am

Veyron wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:Even if the goal is U of A or ASU for free I'd retake. Why not? For perspective my cold diag was 160, 3 months later I got a 167, 3 months after that a 174. I might have ended up at the same school (but I'm not sure I would have gotten in) but I got a 75k scholarship I doubt I would have had otherwise and a ton more options I definitely would not have had...so, worth it for sure.

Haha true true - don't want to give the new guy false hope. But I mean IF he killed it on a retake (which seems quite possible given his impressive cold score) this is what I'd look...but yeah, thats very far from a given.

PS I agree OP would probably get Cornell at sticker but Berkeley is a crap shoot with those #s.

Either way I think you wisely noted that a T14 at sticker may not be the best move if he wants to practice in a small insular market like AZ.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri May 13, 2011 12:33 am

jtemp320 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Haha true true - don't want to give the new guy false hope. But I mean IF he killed it on a retake (which seems quite possible given his impressive cold score) this is what I'd look...but yeah, thats very far from a given.

PS I agree OP would probably get Cornell at sticker but Berkeley is a crap shoot with those #s.

Either way I think you wisely noted that a T14 at sticker may not be the best move if he wants to practice in a small insular market like AZ.

No, I noted that a full ride at ASU may be better than a T-14 a sticker for someone who wants to be a trial lawyer in AZ, that is something very different. AZ firms still have much lower cutoffs for the T-14 so all other things ($) being = you're better off at one.

Just generally, the AZ viewes school/grades very strangely, received wisdom of most sorts is worthless w/r/t that market.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Fri May 13, 2011 12:38 am

You add two or three points I am almost positive you will get a scholly to NU, or a full ride for the accelerated JD program.

Less speculatively, GI Bill or Vocational Rehab will pay for a LSAT class or the actual class. If you have any GI Bill left, remember that any state school (to include UVA or Mich) is totally free.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:00 am

Veyron wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

No, I noted that a full ride at ASU may be better than a T-14 a sticker for someone who wants to be a trial lawyer in AZ, that is something very different. AZ firms still have much lower cutoffs for the T-14 so all other things ($) being = you're better off at one.

Just generally, the AZ viewes school/grades very strangely, received wisdom of most sorts is worthless w/r/t that market.

Ah well okay I stand corrected - interesting

denbar

Postby denbar » Sat May 14, 2011 3:55 pm

SemperLegal wrote:You add two or three points I am almost positive you will get a scholly to NU, or a full ride for the accelerated JD program.

Could you please tell me bit more about "accelerated JD program"? A link perhaps?

***EDIT***

Holy shit! Now that seems like a great program. As an older guy, the thought of completing my JD in two years sounds phenomenal. Now the question is, how respected or prestigious is the program?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”