Does recommendation matter for HLS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mjitbswyd

Does recommendation matter for HLS?

Postby mjitbswyd » Thu May 12, 2011 5:24 am

I graduated from a T7 as a llm, and got 3 really good LOR (from seminar professors whom I got As from) from the law school. Does the LORs matter at all for HLS, or they just look at the numbers?

thx!

delusional

Re: Does recommendation matter for HLS?

Postby delusional » Thu May 12, 2011 8:43 am

mjitbswyd wrote:I graduated from a T7 as a llm, and got 3 really good LOR (from seminar professors whom I got As from) from the law school. Does the LORs matter at all for HLS, or they just look at the numbers?

thx!

Not sure I understand the question, but I'll try to answer. I got in with bland, poorly written LORs, and pretty competitive numbers. If your numbers are going to be at median, then your LORs might matter more.

Confused7

Re: Does recommendation matter for HLS?

Postby Confused7 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Numbers?

As someone with a not-so-competitive LSAT (170), I would say that the other components of your application should be in tip-top shape if your numbers are < 25%. I sent in 2 LORs from professors that didn't know me as well, plus 1 from a nonprofit, and later supplemented my file with another LOR from a professor that DID know me well. Not sure if it was my last LOR that did it or not, but in general I would say that "softs" do matter to an extent.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”