what schools should I apply to?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
butterfly

what schools should I apply to?

Postby butterfly » Thu May 12, 2011 12:20 am

Yes, i know ppl have asked "what are my chances?" questions. But I want to get a feel of schools to apply to with my stats so far. No I haven't taken the LSAT yet (so keep the "take the lsat" comments to a minimum). I plan to take it in October. If anyone can give me hypothetical ranges and the possible schools, I would appreciate it. (ie. get high 160s, apply to schools xyz, etc.) :D

Yes I know the adcoms will ask me why a career change, etc, etc.

GPA: 3.2 (undergrad)
Female (like that matters)
URM
Veteran
Volunteer/comm service (prob doesn't matter either)
Work experience: 13 yrs (medical field)
Doctorate degree (medical)

Thanks!
Last edited by butterfly on Thu May 12, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Re: what schools should I apply to?

Postby Knock » Thu May 12, 2011 12:23 am

butterfly wrote:Yes, i know ppl have asked "what are my chances?" questions. But I want to get a feel of schools to apply to with my stats so far. No I haven't taken the LSAT yet (so keep the "take the lsat" comments to a minimum). I plan to take it in October. If anyone can give me hypothetical ranges and the possible schools, I would appreciate it. (ie. get high 160s, apply to schools xyz, etc.) :D

URM
Veteran

Thanks!

Get a real LSAT score and then come back. Any school is possible as an URM veteran with strong work experience. What school you go to will be entirely determined by your LSAT score. What type of URM are you? What range are you scoring in on your practice LSATs?

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 am

Knock wrote:
butterfly wrote:Yes, i know ppl have asked "what are my chances?" questions. But I want to get a feel of schools to apply to with my stats so far. No I haven't taken the LSAT yet (so keep the "take the lsat" comments to a minimum). I plan to take it in October. If anyone can give me hypothetical ranges and the possible schools, I would appreciate it. (ie. get high 160s, apply to schools xyz, etc.) :D

URM
Veteran

Thanks!

Get a real LSAT score and then come back. Any school is possible as a URM veteran with strong work experience. What school you go to will be entirely determined by your LSAT score. What type of URM are you? What range are you scoring in on your practice LSATs?

Like I said, i just asked for a hypothetical range to know what schools to apply to. i know I need to take the LSAT. To answer your question, African American

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:26 am

you don't need us for this.

lawschoolnumbers.com and lawschoolpredictor.com will allow you to play around with numbers and look at what might be in the cards for you

If you had a real LSAT score we could give you more direction, as it is now the answers could be from harvard to retake

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 12, 2011 12:27 am

Yea, without an LSAT score, discussion is meaningless.

On a side note, I personally think you and that other guy who is like a nationally top-rated surgeon are friggin nuts to leave a successful medical career for a shot in a dying industry. If you wouldn't mind, please PM your reasoning. If you have a doctoral level degree in medicine (either PhD or MD), you are clearly no idiot. So why would you take such a risk with law? /rant

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu May 12, 2011 12:28 am

butterfly wrote:
Knock wrote:

URM
Veteran

Thanks!

Get a real LSAT score and then come back. Any school is possible as a URM veteran with strong work experience. What school you go to will be entirely determined by your LSAT score. What type of URM are you? What range are you scoring in on your practice LSATs?

Like I said, i just asked for a hypothetical range to know what schools to apply to. i know I need to take the LSAT. To answer your question, African American

What range are you scoring in on your practice LSATs?

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Thu May 12, 2011 12:30 am

Knock wrote:
butterfly wrote:
Knock wrote:

URM
Veteran

Thanks!

I just took a "cold" diagnostic--->150. But I didn't really look at anything prior. That is the only one I have taken. I haven't started studying just yet

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Thu May 12, 2011 12:34 am

Patriot1208 wrote:you don't need us for this.

lawschoolnumbers.com and lawschoolpredictor.com will allow you to play around with numbers and look at what might be in the cards for you

If you had a real LSAT score we could give you more direction, as it is now the answers could be from harvard to retake

thanks for the websites patroit1208!

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu May 12, 2011 12:35 am

butterfly wrote:
Knock wrote:
butterfly wrote:
Knock wrote:

I just took a "cold" diagnostic--->150

Your cycle is going to be fairly difficult to predict for several reasons: you're URM, a veteran, have another terminal degree, and have strong work experience (in addition to hopefully being a splitter). Because of this, you will want to apply very broadly. It will also be fairly difficult for people to tell you what schools you should apply to, so take the following with a grain of salt. Personally, I feel like you should always be applying to reaches, but especially so in your situation, as you are likely to significantly outperform your numbers.

It's hard to predict, but I think if you can break into the 160-165 range, which I'd imagine you can with a diagnostic of 150, you are going to get some T-14 acceptances, and would probably have some shot at HYS. In that case, i'd apply to the entire T-14, as well as some schools in the teens and twenties depending on your regional preferences. If you score 165+ I'd simply blanket the T14.

Here are the results of the 2010-2011 URM cycle, which may prove helpful to you: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=154356#p4350058. And here are the results for the 2009-2010 URM cycle: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=107129.

Sites like lawschoolpredictor are going to be pretty inaccurate for someone in your circumstances, so be careful about using that site to choose what schools to apply to. Lawschoolnumbers and admissionsdean are a bit better, but I would still only use them as rough tools to figure out what range of schools to apply to. Again, apply broadly and to reaches.

Best of luck.
Last edited by Knock on Thu May 12, 2011 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu May 12, 2011 12:43 am

Knock wrote:Your cycle is going to be fairly difficult to predict for several reasons: you're URM, a veteran, another terminal degree, and someone with strong work experience. Because of this, you will want to apply very broadly.

It's hard to predict, but I think if you can break into the 160-165, which I'd imagine you can with a diagnostic of 150, you are going to get some T-14 acceptances, and would probably have some shot at HYS. In that case, i'd apply to the entire T-14, as well as some schools in the teens and twenties depending on your regional preferences. If you score 165+ I'd simply blanket the T14.

Here are the results of the 2010-2011 URM cycle, which may prove helpful to you: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=154356#p4350058. And here are the results for the 2009-2010 URM cycle: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=107129.

+180

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 am

Thanks Knock for the threads! :D

Alyosha_Karamazov

Postby Alyosha_Karamazov » Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm thinking you might be a good candidate for NU's 2 year law program considering you've already proven your ability to suceed both academically and professionally. Of course your score would need to be there as well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”