Should I send another LOCI?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fingersxd

Should I send another LOCI?

Postby fingersxd » Wed May 11, 2011 9:34 am

SO I've been out of school for a few years and while I work have been taking part-time MBA classes (I won't finish the program -- giving it up for law school
). That said, I did have two mroe classes this semester and did great in bot. I know grad school grades are inflated like crazy and since I won't eevn have the degree in tiem for school in the fall it might not matter, but is it worth sending these along to schools were I am still on the waitlist? How much value would it be gained or would they just dismiss it as useless paper?

Also, I have some additional LOR's I could potentially send, but I'm reluctant to do so because I don't suspect they will be particularly good -- by which I mean it will be a positive recommendation, but I think it will just be sort of canned and formulaic (knowing the person I got it from) so I've had it sitting in my back pocket and haven't sent it...now that I'm still on the WL should I just go for broke? I don't want it to hurt me as lukewarm/boring LORs at this point might be the difference.

saito816

Re: Should I send another LOCI?

Postby saito816 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:09 am

I don't think sending in another LOCI at this point will really help or hurt at this point. Grad school grades seem, from what I've heard, to be a pretty irrelevant soft. As far as another LOR goes, it depends on how many you've already sent. Once waitlisted I sent in another one to several schools, for a total of 3. If you already have 3+ in at that school though, I'm not sure how much another will help.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 am

Yea, I sent 3 right away (I've been out of school for a few years so I had 2 work, 1 professor) -- that's why I'm not sure if any additional ones will ahve any real valuable (particularly if it isn't some sterling, glowing, original letter -- as much as they can be, at least).

same reason I'm hesitant on grad school grades. It's a weak soft, but there's not really much else new I have. I really want to get off the waitlist but somehow I don't think the periodic e-mails just to keep in touch are doing much, ha.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed May 11, 2011 1:05 pm

the extra LOCI isn't going to help you for the reasons you articulated. Sorry.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed May 11, 2011 2:41 pm

TTH wrote:the extra LOCI isn't going to help you for the reasons you articulated. Sorry.

Fair enough. But that being said, what CAN I do to improve my chances? The whole idea of sitting ony my hands and waiting is not appealing, and again, the periodic e-mails, phone calls, etc. just aren't going to do it, I don't think.

LawSuccess

Postby LawSuccess » Wed May 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Use what you have. The things you mentinoed may not help a whole lot, but they won't hurt either, and they'll demonstrate continued interest. Don't you want to know that you've done all you could and didn't hold anything back?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”