Remedial courses question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
b33eazy

Remedial courses question

Postby b33eazy » Tue May 10, 2011 9:46 pm

I took a remedial classes: Elementary Algebra 097 and Intermediate Algebra 099 at a community college. And I'm looking at my transcript and it does list the grade I got in the class and quality points. However, my college explained that it was a Learning Support class. Learning support classes have a "%" next to it indicating that it is that. I consider learning support and remedial interchangeable and it is a remedial course but it states that it is learning support and list the grade points next to it. It specifically states this:

"Grade Codes: % Learning Support (no degree credit)"

So would the learning support classes be counted?

EDIT: For example, if I got a C in the class, it says: "C%/4 Credit hours/8 points," However, like I said it states that it is learning support and states that it has "no degree credit."

rinkrat19

Re: Remedial courses question

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:20 pm

b33eazy wrote:I took a remedial classes: Elementary Algebra 097 and Intermediate Algebra 099 at a community college. And I'm looking at my transcript and it does list the grade I got in the class and quality points. However, my college explained that it was a Learning Support class. Learning support classes have a "%" next to it indicating that it is that. I consider learning support and remedial interchangeable and it is a remedial course but it states that it is learning support and list the grade points next to it. It specifically states this:

"Grade Codes: % Learning Support (no degree credit)"

So would the learning support classes be counted?

EDIT: For example, if I got a C in the class, it says: "C%/4 Credit hours/8 points," However, like I said it states that it is learning support and states that it has "no degree credit."

All classes taken for credit up until your first bachelors degree, whether or not they counted towards your degree, will be counted. You need have the community college transcript sent to LSAC. I'm pretty sure the math classes will count in your LSDAS GPA.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Wed May 11, 2011 12:07 am

Yeah, but isn't remedial classes excluded? And it is listed as a learning support class, which should be remedial, right? I just am confused because I was clearly told that it was a remedial class at that school. It is just listed as a learning support class, "not counted towards degree."
Last edited by b33eazy on Wed May 11, 2011 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:09 am

b33eazy wrote:Yeah, but isn't remedial classes excluded? And it is listed as a learning support class, which is remedial.

You can call LSAC and ask, but I don't think their answer is going to be different than mine. It doesn't count toward your degree, but it's still for credit.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Wed May 11, 2011 12:11 am

Okay... So what would they classify as a remedial class then? That's what kind of confuses me.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:16 am

And this is where I walk back what I said...

http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp

I had no idea that remedial courses didn't count. (Also, that's total bullshit. Why shouldn't they count? You shouldn't get a break for being behind.)

Sounds like you might be in luck. But call LSAC and ask, if you really want to know. You do still need to send the CC transcript and they'll either count the credits or not.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Wed May 11, 2011 10:45 am

rinkrat19 wrote:And this is where I walk back what I said...

I had no idea that remedial courses didn't count. (Also, that's total bullshit. Why shouldn't they count? You shouldn't get a break for being behind.)

Sounds like you might be in luck. But call LSAC and ask, if you really want to know. You do still need to send the CC transcript and they'll either count the credits or not.

The thinking is likely the opposite, why should one potentially get a 4.0 for a remedial class? I had to take 1 no credit math class in my 1st semester and it did not count for the LSAC or hurt my cycle.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:59 am

BrightLine wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:And this is where I walk back what I said...

The thinking is likely the opposite, why should one potentially get a 4.0 for a remedial class? I had to take 1 no credit math class in my 1st semester and it did not count for the LSAC or hurt my cycle.

If they really want to only count "hard" classes, they should just not let liberal arts majors in at all. Or at least not let them count anything below a 300-level class. :P

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Mon May 16, 2011 4:22 am

That's why you take these Pass/Fail :)

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon May 16, 2011 6:54 am

JDndMSW wrote:That's why you take these Pass/Fail :)

Ditto

I owe my crushingly awesome GPA to strategic CLEP and DANTES tests knocking out all the math and science courses I might have gotten less than an A in.

Other than this, I took 46 CLEP credits and got out of every Gen Ed class I didn't want to take; I never had to do a science lab; plus I graduated nearly 2 years early (and then wasted 3 years due to immaturity and stupidity, but that's a different story :D ). This is something to consider if law is your goal.

If law is your goal, you are consigning yourself to getting a second Bachelor's degree. Your first one is just a matter of getting a number and checking a box. Such is the waste and fraud of American higher ed. Plan accordingly.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”