Pre-Law Advisors...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
memphisbelle

Pre-Law Advisors...

Postby memphisbelle » Tue May 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi,

Has anyone worked with the pre-law advisors suggested by LSAC? I just had a particularly interesting exchange with mine...

I am completing a degree program online. I have previous brick and mortar schooling but chose this method because my major is not offered anywhere in my area and it closely relates to my current work experience. It is also convenient because I must work full time to support myself.

Here is what I asked:

1. Since I am in the global (online) program, I have very limited potential to receive strong academic letters of recommendation since I have never met any of my professors. I can obtain work related LOR's, but I'm not sure if the lack of academic references will hurt my chances at non work experience oriented schools.

(note: I submitted that idea in hopes that we could build an advisement relationship throughout my next year in UG so that she could become familiar with my work and write a letter. I guess I should have stated that more plainly, although given the response, I don't think I want one.)

Here is the response (yes, written in all caps):

YES, THEY WILL, AS WILL AN AVIATION DEGREE THAT IS NOT BOLSTERED UP BY COURSE WORK THAT IS DEMANDING IN THE READING AND WRITING AREAS. SO, RATHER THAN GRADUATING B/C YOU CAN, I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU TO STAY ENROLLED LONGER TO TAKE COURSES THAT BUILD SKILLS NOT DEMANDED AS MUCH IN AN AVIATION PROGRAM.

Wait, so now not only do I not get LOR's, but I can't read or write either....because I am an aviation major? It is a full four year degree program...

Next question:

I am concerned about the amount of debt that I will have to take on to complete law school. Given the possibility that I may not be accepted to any of the T14 schools and thus would lose the portability of the degree, I hesitate to spend such a large amount of money and then be confined by lowered job prospects outside of my school’s region. Do you think that it’s worth it?

LAW DEGREES ARE DESIGNED TO BE PORTABLE; A PERSON MOVES, AFTER LAW SCHOOL, TO THE STATE SHE WANTS TO WORK IN, TAKES A BAR REVIEW COURSE THERE THAT TEACHES STATE LAW (USUALLY WE STUDY FEDERAL LAW IN LAW SCHOOL) AND THEN TAKES THAT STATE'S BAR, IN ORDER TO PRACTICE IN THE STATE

Also, "Given the possibility that I may not be accepted to any of the T14"

(DON'T KNOW WHAT T14 IS) (Benefit of the doubt, it may just be TLS lingo but I'm pretty sure I have seen it in a few of the admissions books I've read)

Every lawyer/book/TLS post I've seen specifically states that unless you're HYS or top T14, you start becoming limited regionally with regards to job prospects. I realize that you can take the bar exam anywhere you want to....

Next question: Are you happy that you went to law school?

I DON'T EAT OFF OF LAW AND MY CLASSMATES WHO LIVE HERE WHO ARE TRYING TO DO THAT ARE HUSTLING AND IT IS SLOW TO PAY OFF; BUT IT WAS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE.

Not being able to make a living is a wonderful experience?

Am I nuts or is this ridiculous? Maybe I asked questions that were too open ended...

I was just trying to get an educated opinion on some things by someone who is employed to do exactly that. I think I'll stick with you guys from now on. :)

bmore

Re: Pre-Law Advisors...

Postby bmore » Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 pm

Good idea :D BTW, I think you write well. I hope you have a killer PS.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:55 pm

How the fuck do you get an online aviation degree?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How the fuck do you get an online aviation degree?

Microsoft Flight Simulator?

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Tue May 10, 2011 5:55 pm

The one at my undergrad was/is an elitist bitch. I'm only going to let LSAC notify her if I get a really good acceptance. Hell, even if I get a mediocre one, she'll be notified. Bitch.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue May 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Pre-law faculty are some of the most ignorant and incompetent (to the point of being harmful) people I've dealt with in the law school admissions process.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue May 10, 2011 6:12 pm

As I am already terrified of flying, you are not allowed to fly my plane. That said, those responses are hilarious. Good Luck!

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:15 pm

on the top 14 - in my experience, even lawyers who are 30 years out of school know what that is if they're at a v-250.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:17 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:on the top 14 - in my experience, even lawyers who are 30 years out of school know what that is if they're at a v-250.

Even though the T14 each have always been considered good national schools the t14 group is relatively new.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:17 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:v-250

Win.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Tue May 10, 2011 6:18 pm

beachbum wrote:Pre-law faculty are some of the most ignorant and incompetent (to the point of being harmful) people I've dealt with in the law school admissions process.

this

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Tue May 10, 2011 6:20 pm

lol @ "We study federal law"

No, just no. State law being mostly the same across the board =/= federal law. (though there's obviously some study of federal law - more in certain classes).

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Tue May 10, 2011 6:20 pm

I would've stopped asking questions after the first ALL CAPS answer :|

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue May 10, 2011 6:29 pm

beachbum wrote:Pre-law faculty are some of the most ignorant and incompetent (to the point of being harmful) people I've dealt with in the law school admissions process.

Thats a pretty broad statement. The pre-law faculty at my undergrad were phenomenal.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue May 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Cupidity wrote:

Thats a pretty broad statement. The pre-law faculty at my undergrad were phenomenal.

I was only speaking for myself, but I feel like (based on previous threads) my experiences are shared by quite a few on here.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue May 10, 2011 6:45 pm

So wait, this pre-law advisor is employed by your current online school, right? And she's encouraging you to stay longer for more schooling, which will obviously entail you giving more money to your school, i.e., her employer. Sounds like a conflict of interest.

memphisbelle

Postby memphisbelle » Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Haha...

Just for clarification, it's aviation management...not flying anyone's plane. They do have professional pilot degrees there though. You go to a local aviation school and learn to fly but complete the additional gen-ed/business side online.

No, it isn't University of Phoenix. It is actually a school, they just offer this program online.

Yes, her advice would equate to spending more money at the school which I'm not planning to do. I'm already on the 10 year plan, so I will be graduating simply 'because I can'. :)

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue May 10, 2011 7:35 pm

memphisbelle wrote:Haha...

Just for clarification, it's aviation management...not flying anyone's plane. They do have professional pilot degrees there though. You go to a local aviation school and learn to fly but complete the additional gen-ed/business side online.

No, it isn't University of Phoenix. It is actually a school, they just offer this program online.

Yes, her advice would equate to spending more money at the school which I'm not planning to do. I'm already on the 10 year plan, so I will be graduating simply 'because I can'. :)

Please explain.

memphisbelle

Postby memphisbelle » Tue May 10, 2011 9:26 pm

I started undergrad 10 years ago after high school. Life happened, took time off and
Worked, came back. Not 10 years for one degree....the better part of three, actually.
Unfortunately, I didn't get into aviation right away. Wasted alot of time waiting tables.

Kallpayoq

Postby Kallpayoq » Wed May 11, 2011 12:35 am

kapachino wrote:The one at my undergrad was/is an elitist bitch. I'm only going to let LSAC notify her if I get a really good acceptance. Hell, even if I get a mediocre one, she'll be notified. Bitch.

Same here. Mine told me since I was non-traditional I should apply to only 2nd tier schools. I ignored his advice and will be going to a T10 in the fall. 8)

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Wed May 11, 2011 3:45 am

Kallpayoq wrote:
kapachino wrote:The one at my undergrad was/is an elitist bitch. I'm only going to let LSAC notify her if I get a really good acceptance. Hell, even if I get a mediocre one, she'll be notified. Bitch.

Same here. Mine told me since I was non-traditional I should apply to only 2nd tier schools. I ignored his advice and will be going to a T10 in the fall. 8)

WTF? I'm non-traditional myself and would be appalled if someone told me that. I'm doing slightly better than the 10 year plan, my first semester was in 2004 and I'll be finishing in December.

My advisor isn't elitist by any means, just very depressing. Her goal is to get everyone a 155 on the LSAT (I think TLS may be twisting my view on how bad that actually is) and she told me to study for approximately 300 hours to do so. I told her I started over 160 and she said my real score will drop 5 points on the test, she also keeps setting up events with fourth tier adcomms and doing mock admissions.

The serious study for the LSAT is at least solid advice. I guess I would be depressed if I were filtering students into a career where I couldn't land a job and didn't expect any of them to do so either.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed May 11, 2011 4:01 am

Mine told me that law school wasn't realistic with my 2.6. I stopped using her and got shittier grades to spite her ( :P ) and gained admission with a 2.33.

mths

Postby mths » Wed May 11, 2011 4:15 am

Ty Webb wrote:Mine told me that law school wasn't realistic with my 2.6. I stopped using her and got shittier grades to spite her ( :P ) and gained admission with a 2.33.

interesting strategy

enjoy law school

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed May 11, 2011 4:36 am

mths wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Mine told me that law school wasn't realistic with my 2.6. I stopped using her and got shittier grades to spite her ( :P ) and gained admission with a 2.33.

interesting strategy

enjoy law school

Oh I have. I'll enjoy it more in 36 hours when 1L is over.

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Wed May 11, 2011 7:57 am

My pre law dean and his staff were phenomenal. Always answered emailed questions, wrote recommendations for every school, read and gave notes on my personal statement, and didn't sugar coat anything. His only shortcoming was he was a bit overoptimistic in school range when I got back my LSAT (big splitter), but he did advise me to have at least two safety schools. He even offered to call any school that waitlisted me if I thought it would help.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”