Want to work on Capitol Hill. What should I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
parttime7

Want to work on Capitol Hill. What should I do?

Postby parttime7 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:50 pm

I was accepted into Notre Dame with a 60K scholarship, however, I really want to work on Capitol Hill after graduation and I am a tad nervous as to whether a NDLS degree will allow that.

Should I hold off a year and try to do Georgetown/George Washington/American PT?

What I have any chance at Georgetown PT?

#'s area 167/3.40, I have taken the LSAT 4 times.

JamMasterJ

Re: Want to work on Capitol Hill. What should I do?

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 09, 2011 7:54 pm

I think you have a good shot at GULC pt and will def get one of the other two

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 pm

What do you want to do in DC?

If it's not anything remotely law-related (eg: working on a campaign or doing constituent work), I would rethink going to law school altogether.

I know a lot of people who got great gigs in DC from networking fiercely during internships at the capitol.

parttime7

Postby parttime7 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I think you have a good shot at GULC pt and will def get one of the other two

Would it be worth holding a year? or should I take the $$$ at ND?

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Mon May 09, 2011 7:57 pm

Don't go to law school.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:59 pm

If Capitol Hill means, the district in Seattle then apply to UW

If Capitol Hill mean the other Washington, then Gtown

parttime7

Postby parttime7 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:00 pm

dr123 wrote:If Capitol Hill means, the district in Seattle then apply to UW

If Capitol Hill mean the other Washington, then Gtown

Would I have a shot at Gtown with a 167/3.4?

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Mon May 09, 2011 8:03 pm

OP, what do you want to do on Capitol Hill?

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 pm

parttime7 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I think you have a good shot at GULC pt and will def get one of the other two

Would it be worth holding a year? or should I take the $$$ at ND?

This is terrible advice. You are most certainly a ding at GULC part time, and will MAYBE get into GW. They've become more stringent with every year. I wouldn't wait a year, personally. You may not get into GW next year, and going to American when you could have gone to ND with money would be absolutely retarded.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon May 09, 2011 8:37 pm

I know MPP/MPA aren't the most useful degrees, but perhaps they could better suit your interests? A JD from NDLS seems like a lot of money for a job that doesn't seem to come easily to people with that credential.

parttime7

Postby parttime7 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:41 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I know MPP/MPA aren't the most useful degrees, but perhaps they could better suit your interests? A JD from NDLS seems like a lot of money for a job that doesn't seem to come easily to people with that credential.

So a NDLS law degree w/ 60K is not worth it?

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon May 09, 2011 8:46 pm

parttime7 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:I know MPP/MPA aren't the most useful degrees, but perhaps they could better suit your interests? A JD from NDLS seems like a lot of money for a job that doesn't seem to come easily to people with that credential.

So a NDLS law degree w/ 60K is not worth it?

Not if your goal is a gig on Capitol Hill in my opinion. Before you make this commitment, perhaps you could reach out to NDLS and ask them to put you in touch with alumni who are doing similar work, i.e. on the hill. Perhaps, they can give you better insight into this matter and the resources that would be available to you there?

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Got dinged at Georgetown PT with a 3.45/168, in at GW with no $, and American's weird about money and YP. I don't think there's any choices in DC better than the Notre Dame scholarship for you, OP.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Mon May 09, 2011 11:16 pm

i vote nd

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:19 pm

krasivaya wrote:What do you want to do in DC?

If it's not anything remotely law-related (eg: working on a campaign or doing constituent work), I would rethink going to law school altogether.

I know a lot of people who got great gigs in DC from networking fiercely during internships at the capitol.

This this this. What exactly are you looking to do on the Hill? Chief of staff or something like that? In that case, the way to do it is to run a campaign that unseats an incumbent. Unless it's specifically law related a JD is not a great idea.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:57 am

mcubberly wrote:Got dinged at Georgetown PT with a 3.45/168, in at GW with no $, and American's weird about money and YP. I don't think there's any choices in DC better than the Notre Dame scholarship for you, OP.

Same, with a slightly higher GPA and a 169 LSAT. Same thing with GW.

Look, the advice above is good, if you're not looking for a job that requires a JD, there's no need to go to law school. And if you are, well, the truth is that while ND probably won't get you a job on the hill right after law school, it may be a possibility later in your career. Your only certain option in DC if you were to wait a year is American, which also would not give you anywhere close to a decent shot at a job on Capital Hill out of law school, and not only that, you would forfeit a pretty decent scholly at ND for a lesser school. GW would be an absolute tossup in terms of admissions, and even if you got in it would more than likely be at sticker, and GULC would reject you.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue May 10, 2011 11:51 am

Just a heads up that it's extremely difficult to get a job on capitol hill right now. Good luck

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 10, 2011 11:52 am

socraticmethodman wrote:OP, what do you want to do on Capitol Hill?

Still waiting for this answer.

Snoring Meatball

Postby Snoring Meatball » Tue May 10, 2011 11:58 am

-
Last edited by Snoring Meatball on Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Tue May 10, 2011 12:03 pm

The Hill is run by lawyers and aspiring lawyers. Contrary to popular belief, law degrees enable people to pursue careers outside of the courtroom.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:05 pm

kapachino wrote:

The Hill is run by lawyers and aspiring lawyers. Contrary to popular belief, law degrees enable people to pursue careers outside of the courtroom.

That's the thing though, it doesn't "enable" you to do things outside of the courtroom. Because you already have the ability to do those things. Spending 200k for a slightly better shot at getting that 40k job isn't really smart thinking. OP would be better off working through alumni contacts if he simply wants to work for the ways and means committee.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Tue May 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
kapachino wrote:

That's the thing though, it doesn't "enable" you to do things outside of the courtroom. Because you already have the ability to do those things. Spending 200k for a slightly better shot at getting that 40k job isn't really smart thinking. OP would be better off working through alumni contacts if he simply wants to work for the ways and means committee.

I have experiences with several non-practicing lawyers (most on the Hill and in state government) that fly in the face of this, so you wasted your time. I believe OP should make the decision that he/she believes is right.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:12 pm

kapachino wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
kapachino wrote:

I have experiences with several non-practicing lawyers (most on the Hill and in state government) that fly in the face of this, so you wasted your time. I believe OP should make the decision that he/she believes is right.

I'm confused by what your argument is. Are you saying that to work on the hill you must have a JD? Because I never said that there weren't lawyers on the hill. I said that you can get the job without going 200k in debt, so why should OP go 200k in debt?

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue May 10, 2011 12:12 pm

OP we are numbers twins and I can tell you categorically that you have no shot at GULC PT.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:08 am

kapachino wrote:I have experiences with several non-practicing lawyers (most on the Hill and in state government) that fly in the face of this, so you wasted your time. I believe OP should make the decision that he/she believes is right.

Some hill staffers are lawyers. Therefore, to be a hill staffer, one must be a lawyer.

See the LR fail?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”