LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SHarry3666
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 pm

LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby SHarry3666 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm confused about something w/r/t to the people registering on LawSchoolNumbers.com and AdmissionsDean.com. According to both sites' applicants pages for the 2010-11 cycle (view LSN applicants here (LinkRemoved) and AD applicants here) they have roughly the same number of applicants registering to use the sites (LSN has 3,457 applicants and AD has 3,268).

How come, then, when you look at each site's number of applicants by law school, LSN has so many more applicants at a school like Georgetown (942) than AdmissionsDean (104)? Compare LSN Applicants By School to AdmissionsDean Applicants By School. I understand that some people might register for a site and not complete/update their profile, but that seems like an awfully large discrepancy, no?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby bdubs » Fri May 06, 2011 4:36 pm

there are a lot more blank profiles on admissionsdean. I think the site hasn't really caught on.

SHarry3666
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby SHarry3666 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:41 pm

I get that it's new and hasn't caught on, but why would users bother registering at all if they are not going to complete their profile?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby bdubs » Fri May 06, 2011 4:44 pm

I think that sort of thing happens a lot with new services. They are promoted and people look into them, but they fail to deliver much added value and are subsequently forgotten or ignored.

ETA: I just looked at your profile and noticed that you haven't even updated your AD profile. LOL

SHarry3666
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby SHarry3666 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:55 pm

bdubs wrote:I think that sort of thing happens a lot with new services. They are promoted and people look into them, but they fail to deliver much added value and are subsequently forgotten or ignored.

ETA: I just looked at your profile and noticed that you haven't even updated your AD profile. LOL


Yes, true. I'm planning apply next year to schools in new york . . . not a lot to report yet.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby kazu » Fri May 06, 2011 5:08 pm

I know this cycle LSN didn't update for the longest time - I remember they finally got around to adding the 2010-2011 cycle in September or October or something (after early apps are in but before most people have heard anything back). So I think a lot of people made AD profiles when LSN went AWOL, but when LSN got this cycle running no one bothered to update their AD profiles ever again.... including me.

User avatar
speedyj88
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby speedyj88 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:12 pm

kazu wrote:I know this cycle LSN didn't update for the longest time - I remember they finally got around to adding the 2010-2011 cycle in September or October or something (after early apps are in but before most people have heard anything back). So I think a lot of people made AD profiles when LSN went AWOL, but when LSN got this cycle running no one bothered to update their AD profiles ever again.... including me.

Count me in this group.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby Bumi » Fri May 06, 2011 5:23 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about how Emory's dean loves to post on TLS about how Emory has no wall of death.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri May 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Bumi wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about how Emory's dean loves to post on TLS about how Emory has no wall of death.


166 looks like the gates of Mordor to me :D

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby Sandro » Fri May 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
Bumi wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about how Emory's dean loves to post on TLS about how Emory has no wall of death.


166 looks like the gates of Mordor to me :D


and a pretty hard 3.0 gpa floor regardless of LSAT this year. :roll:

SHarry3666
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby SHarry3666 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:45 am

I guess the other question is whether it's possible that 27% of LSN's registered users submitted an application to GULC this year. Similarly, 27% submitted an application to UVa, and 21% submitted applications to NYU, Columbia or UMich. This seems like a very large amount of overlap for such a small sample size of applicants (3457). Looking at LSN's most popular schools (http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/), there has to be a huge amount of users submitting applications to multiple schools -- a statistically improbably high number given the types of schools represented. Unless I'm missing something ...

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:10 am

SHarry3666 wrote:I guess the other question is whether it's possible that 27% of LSN's registered users submitted an application to GULC this year. Similarly, 27% submitted an application to UVa, and 21% submitted applications to NYU, Columbia or UMich. This seems like a very large amount of overlap for such a small sample size of applicants (3457). Looking at LSN's most popular schools (http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/), there has to be a huge amount of users submitting applications to multiple schools -- a statistically improbably high number given the types of schools represented. Unless I'm missing something ...

wut?

what is a statistically improbable number of people sending in multiple apps? Are you planning on sending in one app? The schools you listed are close to peer schools, lsn is skewed towards the top schools, and 99.9 percent of applicants send in apps to more than a couple of schools. That isn't rocket science or hard to believe.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat May 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
SHarry3666 wrote:I guess the other question is whether it's possible that 27% of LSN's registered users submitted an application to GULC this year. Similarly, 27% submitted an application to UVa, and 21% submitted applications to NYU, Columbia or UMich. This seems like a very large amount of overlap for such a small sample size of applicants (3457). Looking at LSN's most popular schools (http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/), there has to be a huge amount of users submitting applications to multiple schools -- a statistically improbably high number given the types of schools represented. Unless I'm missing something ...

wut?

what is a statistically improbable number of people sending in multiple apps? Are you planning on sending in one app? The schools you listed are close to peer schools, lsn is skewed towards the top schools, and 99.9 percent of applicants send in apps to more than a couple of schools. That isn't rocket science or hard to believe.

+ 1

It is a pity it's skewed towards the top schools, though. The profiles I enjoy reading the most are the Cooley rejects.

SHarry3666
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby SHarry3666 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:46 am

Patriot1208 wrote:It is a pity it's skewed towards the top schools, though. The profiles I enjoy reading the most are the Cooley rejects.


now that's pretty funny . . .

SHarry3666
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby SHarry3666 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:55 pm

wut?

what is a statistically improbable number of people sending in multiple apps? Are you planning on sending in one app? The schools you listed are close to peer schools, lsn is skewed towards the top schools, and 99.9 percent of applicants send in apps to more than a couple of schools. That isn't rocket science or hard to believe.


I guess improbable was a bad choice of words -- especially since GULC might be considered a safe choice if you are right and the entire user population is skewed towards the top schools. I guess I also thought that LSN was bigger since they boast on their homepage that 11,000 applicants used the site last cycle (2009-10) -- clearly that's not the case. By my count it's less than half of that (5,053) (LinkRemoved). Jus sayin . . .

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby Rooney » Wed May 11, 2011 5:05 pm

SHarry3666 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:It is a pity it's skewed towards the top schools, though. The profiles I enjoy reading the most are the Cooley rejects.


now that's pretty funny . . .


"11/02/10 - Ok, so I am attempting to add schools to my "intend to apply" school list, but I can't figure it out. How do I expect to pass law school when I can't even figure out how to edit my profile on LSN!! :( Please help!! haha"

Funny. And sad.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: LSN vs. AdmissionsDean - (something doesn't add up)

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:07 pm

SHarry3666 wrote:I'm confused about something w/r/t to the people registering on LawSchoolNumbers.com and AdmissionsDean.com. According to both sites' applicants pages for the 2010-11 cycle (view LSN applicants here (LinkRemoved) and AD applicants here) they have roughly the same number of applicants registering to use the sites (LSN has 3,457 applicants and AD has 3,268).

How come, then, when you look at each site's number of applicants by law school, LSN has so many more applicants at a school like Georgetown (942) than AdmissionsDean (104)? Compare LSN Applicants By School to AdmissionsDean Applicants By School. I understand that some people might register for a site and not complete/update their profile, but that seems like an awfully large discrepancy, no?

Normally I wouldn't revive a thread just to announce a ban, but I wanted to make clear to anyone reading old posts that this person was banned for spamming AdmissionsDean.com under multiple accounts. This is apparently the same person that claimed to be an NYU 0L and then started making posts about great AdmissionsDean.com articles to read. They later created this thread, misrepresenting him/herself as a "first time poster" under a new account, apparently to talk about AdmissionsDean.com and get people to go there.

Also, the same person has posted more than once in LSN profile threads, linking to their AdmissionsDean.com profile and talking about how they preferred AdmissionsDean.com to LSN. This suggests that AdmissionsDean.com may be full of fake profiles created to advertise the site or make it look more popular. I'm not sure if the site's owner's are aware of this or not, but regardless of their involvement, TLS users deserve to know that some of the TLS users saying they favor AdmissionsDean.com over LSN have been fake.

Now you know what doesn't add up, I guess.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 01panm, Bing [Bot], Dcc617, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, NavyNuke and 5 guests