would a green card offer benefits in law school admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anstone1988

would a green card offer benefits in law school admissions

Postby anstone1988 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Would being a citizen of a country where it is difficult for American citizens to practice law (BRIC) and holding a green card in the US be advantageous during admissions? I would like to practice business & corporate law. Or would it not affect the decision at all?

vanwinkle

Re: would a green card offer benefits in law school admissions

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 06, 2011 2:43 pm

I think a green card comes in handy mostly because it makes it easier to find work here in the US while you're in school. It won't be a huge factor in admissions (though being from another country and presumably being fluent in another language should help you stand out). Really, you'll probably be strong at schools in your GPA/LSAT range, but I doubt it will be am enormous boost over your numbers.

Also... What is your plan for working when you graduate? Do you want to practice outside the US? If so, you need to keep in mind that US law schools prepare you to practice American law. There are some jobs here in the US that handle international transactions, and you might stand out there, but that kind of work is found at highly prominent firms that are hard to get into. If you want to go back to your home country and practice there, there are only a few JDs that are considered truly internationally portable (think HYSC, with emphasis on H) and that will be well-recognized when looking for work there, but you'll also have to make sure you can get licensed to practice there.

If you're planning to just more generally find corporate work here in the US, then your green card will make job searching easier, but your background will only matter as a soft that makes you a little more interesting.

tea_drinker

Re: would a green card offer benefits in law school admissions

Postby tea_drinker » Fri May 06, 2011 3:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I think a green card comes in handy mostly because it makes it easier to find work here in the US while you're in school. It won't be a huge factor in admissions (though being from another country and presumably being fluent in another language should help you stand out). Really, you'll probably be strong at schools in your GPA/LSAT range, but I doubt it will be am enormous boost over your numbers.

Also... What is your plan for working when you graduate? Do you want to practice outside the US? If so, you need to keep in mind that US law schools prepare you to practice American law. There are some jobs here in the US that handle international transactions, and you might stand out there, but that kind of work is found at highly prominent firms that are hard to get into. If you want to go back to your home country and practice there, there are only a few JDs that are considered truly internationally portable (think HYSC, with emphasis on H) and that will be well-recognized when looking for work there, but you'll also have to make sure you can get licensed to practice there.

If you're planning to just more generally find corporate work here in the US, then your green card will make job searching easier, but your background will only matter as a soft that makes you a little more interesting.

I agree with the first paragraph, and to digress, I want to add to the second paragraph.

I think the type of transactions you are thinking of is the big dollars type of transactions, which is reasonably handled by prominent firms. There are also other, smaller transactions that are not handled by large firms such as typical food products import/export, M&A between consumer products (e.g. toys, housewares, etc.) firms. These transactions may slip down to less prominent firms, for which a non-HYS degree may be okay (still need to be prestigious though).

I agree though that getting a job at these firms is not easy. First, any US firm that have office(s) in a foreign country is a large firm, and getting a job at these firms nowadays is hard. Second, they don't need many U.S.-educated associates in a foreign country. It is costly for them because they have to pay U.S.-level salaries with a good benefit package. If they do need associate overseas, they will likely put an experienced lawyer there to meet and greet clients and to bring in business. So, you may have to work in the U.S. for a few years, and then make the move.

Getting back to your green card question, if you are an ESL student, you may use it for a LSAT addendum. But overall, I don't think it matters much.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”