Law firms: A less gilded future -- The Economist Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scammedhard

Silver

Law firms: A less gilded future -- The Economist

Post by scammedhard » Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 am

An interesting article about big law, the recession, and globalization.

http://www.economist.com/node/18651114? ... 4&fsrc=rss

handlesthetruth

Bronze

Re: Law firms: A less gilded future -- The Economist

Post by handlesthetruth » Fri May 06, 2011 10:53 am

:shock:

Honestly I was of the "the market is cyclical, it'll all bounce back" mindset until this article.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 10:54 am

handlesthetruth wrote::shock:

Honestly I was of the "the market is cyclical, it'll all bounce back" mindset until this article.
It doesn't have to bounce back to pre ITE levels. I'll be happy if it starts noticeably improving...

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Fri May 06, 2011 10:57 am

Interesting. I couldn't help reading it like an RC passage.

The main point: shitlaw is in big trouble - thanks to computers and outsourcing.

Secondary points: (1) many non-elite law firms are experiencing pressure to cut costs; (2) elite law firms will be fine.

Inferences: (1) don't go in to shitlaw; (2) avoid law schools that are likely to leave you with few options besides shitlaw.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:22 am

I love how none of the commenters on the article at the Economist website mention that investment banking is a cartel with no competition, and simply bash law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri May 06, 2011 11:31 am

I highly approve of all the developments mentioned in this article.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat May 07, 2011 12:19 am

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii want to be a partner!

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Sat May 07, 2011 12:53 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:(1) many non-elite law firms are experiencing pressure to cut costs; (2) elite law firms will be fine.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:13 am

woof

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat May 07, 2011 1:17 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:(1) many non-elite law firms are experiencing pressure to cut costs; (2) elite law firms will be fine.
This was my take away as well.

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Sat May 07, 2011 2:16 am

shoeshine wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:
How are we judging elite? Where was Howrey on the elite/non-elite firm scale? Maybe they were never elite. So, V10 is elite?

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sat May 07, 2011 2:19 am

If only v10 firms = fine, and everyone else should be worried...that's even worse news than expected.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Sat May 07, 2011 2:21 am

wait so the legal industry isnt that good?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat May 07, 2011 2:57 am

rose711 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:
How are we judging elite? Where was Howrey on the elite/non-elite firm scale? Maybe they were never elite. So, V10 is elite?
Howrey = exception not rule. The economy had to claim at least one major victim and (like banks) once people begin to lose faith in a big law firm it is pretty much over. Clients and partners fled because of uncertainty more than anything else. The article eludes to outsourcing for doc review and other remedial tasks that law firms charge big billable hours for. I think what everyone on here is referring to is that elite firms will not feel the brunt of this "cost reduction" as much as smaller or less prestigious firms that handle the less desirable jobs and clients. As long as M and A transactions start to pick up again then the biggest and most prestigious law firms will be fine.

And M and A is definitely back (especially for big firms):
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sat May 07, 2011 2:59 am

dissonance1848 wrote:I love how none of the commenters on the article at the Economist website mention that investment banking is a cartel with no competition, and simply bash law.

Yeah, no competition in investment banking.

Right.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat May 07, 2011 2:56 pm

FiveSermon wrote:If only v10 firms = fine, and everyone else should be worried...that's even worse news than expected.
I don't think that's what the article was saying.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sat May 07, 2011 3:01 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:I love how none of the commenters on the article at the Economist website mention that investment banking is a cartel with no competition, and simply bash law.
lol wut?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:06 pm

I have to imagine that even before the recession people had to realize that the legal market couldn't do what it was doing forever. If we get in another long, fast period of growth I bet it will return to the way it was in many ways though some are changed forever.

lawscholar20

New

Post by lawscholar20 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Take note of the third to last paragraph.....kind of promoting a JD/MBA or schools like Northwestern an
Penn where business studies can be incorporated into your JD studies.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 07, 2011 4:50 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:Take note of the third to last paragraph.....kind of promoting a JD/MBA or schools like Northwestern an
Or lawyers with actual work experience.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:51 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Interesting. I couldn't help reading it like an RC passage.

The main point: shitlaw is in big trouble - thanks to computers and outsourcing.

Secondary points: (1) many non-elite law firms are experiencing pressure to cut costs; (2) elite law firms will be fine.

Inferences: (1) don't go in to shitlaw; (2) avoid law schools that are likely to leave you with few options besides shitlaw.
just for reference purposes, what do you include in "shitlaw"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Tue May 10, 2011 4:32 am

lawscholar20 wrote:Take note of the third to last paragraph.....kind of promoting a JD/MBA or schools like Northwestern an
Penn
next to a business school where business studies can be incorporated into your JD studies.
FTFY

I did also find that paragraph interesting, though. Makes me wonder if I should in fact go after a JD/MBA.

Also:
AntipodeanPhil wrote: Inferences: (1) don't go in to shitlaw; (2) avoid law schools that are likely to leave you with few options besides shitlaw.
I got the sense that the article cast uncertainty on firms well above the shitlaw threshold, unless you are simply counting all non-V100 firms as "shitlaw."

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Tue May 10, 2011 5:10 am

or all those other universities offering JD/MBA a lot of them are all starting to offer the joint degree programs; if this is in any way correct: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... f=2&t=8262 then at least 40 universities.

But this is me speculating but wouldn't JD MBA be counter productive? I thought that firm died due to partners fleeing from uncertainty so law firms=want certainty but the joint program doesn't add to that certainty with that extra "escape-route" written over it. But the article advocates a more rounded lawyers for survival. Meh, why wasn't I born a few years earlier? :roll:

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:14 am

tag

lawscholar20

New

Post by lawscholar20 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:40 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:
or all those other universities offering JD/MBA a lot of them are all starting to offer the joint degree programs; if this is in any way correct: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... f=2&t=8262 then at least 40 universities.

But this is me speculating but wouldn't JD MBA be counter productive? I thought that firm died due to partners fleeing from uncertainty so law firms=want certainty but the joint program doesn't add to that certainty with that extra "escape-route" written over it. But the article advocates a more rounded lawyers for survival. Meh, why wasn't I born a few years earlier? :roll:
I was specifically pointing out Penn and Northwestern where you can get a nice "business" background without the price and extra year of a JD/MBA

Your reasoning that a JD/MBA may scare away a firm from hiring adds to the advantages of attending a school like Penn and getting a business background via a certificate from Whartons without the whole MBA part.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”