Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SubwayatNight
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 am

Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby SubwayatNight » Thu May 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Has anybody else applied to Santa Clara or Chicago Kent and still not received a decision? I applied to both in late January and both of my applications have been in committee for weeks but still no word. Santa Clara at least sent an email update on April 29th asking for my continued patience and claiming they'll have decisions out within the next two weeks.

My question is regarding application refund policies. At what point would I have a legitimate claim to an application fee refund? At one point Santa Clara was my first choice but I've been forced to make commitments and plans to attend one of two other schools and have already sent my seat deposit to one. If Santa Clara or Chicago Kent accepted me in a timely manner I may have gone there but at this point it's becoming too late to do the switch and even if I did I would be out the seat deposit I already made at another. Is that part of the risk of applying? I don't remember reading that risk stated on the application. In fact, my understanding was decisions would be made one way or the other within two or three months at the latest and I planned according to that. Can somebody fact check me on this? Has anybody ever successfully received a refund?

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby Sandro » Fri May 06, 2011 12:48 am

Just withdraw. Problem solved. Schools can keep your file in review for 20 years+ and I dont think theres a thing you can do about it.

SubwayatNight
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 am

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby SubwayatNight » Fri May 06, 2011 1:54 am

If I withdraw I get a refund?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 1:56 am

Dude let it go. It's $80.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby Sandro » Fri May 06, 2011 2:06 am

SubwayatNight wrote:If I withdraw I get a refund?


No. The school will eventually accept/deny you but it could do this as late as the 1st day of classes. At this point unless you are dying to attend one of these schools your best option is to withdraw and start planning your future.

And if Stetson at sticker is one of your options, please retake. Stetson at sticker was probably my best option if I had applied last year, instead I retook and had a few T25 large scholarships to choose from + my #1 choice school. Its magical.

SubwayatNight
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 am

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby SubwayatNight » Fri May 06, 2011 2:24 am

Unfortunately I already confirmed with Stetson's admissions officer that even if I retook and managed a much higher LSAT score they still would unlikely give me a scholarship because of my 3.02 GPA. I suspect that would be true of other schools in this range too.

As far as letting the $80 dollars go, it is more like $150 because it's two schools I haven't heard anything from. It's less about the amount and more about my passing curiosity about refund policies. It seems to me if the application I spent money on is just sitting there for months and eventually becomes irrelevant then they should give me a refund if nothing was read or considered and I already made other plans.

Today I went to Dunkin Donuts and ordered a coffee. But it was very busy there and I was running late so I asked them to cancel my order before they started making it. I think they were relieved in a way because that was one less order they had to prepare on a busy morning. They gave me my money back and I made tea at work instead. Earl Grey.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby Sandro » Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 pm

SubwayatNight wrote:Unfortunately I already confirmed with Stetson's admissions officer that even if I retook and managed a much higher LSAT score they still would unlikely give me a scholarship because of my 3.02 GPA. I suspect that would be true of other schools in this range too.


1. Your file has been read. Would it make you feel better if they put a "Waitlisted" status on your checker? If you havent been admitted or rejected by this time, dont you think its pretty much the same thing ? A soft rejection aka waitlist.

2. I think you missed my point - Stetson at sticker is an incredibly risky outcome and I hope you have some family member paying for school, otherwise a retake could put you in much better positions at much better schools.

SubwayatNight
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 am

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby SubwayatNight » Fri May 06, 2011 7:52 pm

As far as Santa Clara and Chicago Kent go, I've been assuming they have not read my application yet because it's registered as "in committee" which I assume means it's sitting in a filing cabinet somewhere with many other applications that are next in line to be read and considered. I was just wondering if there was a way to cancel my application and get my money back if that is the case. I will probably email them directly about this.

The Stetson thing is something I brought up on a different thread and I do appreciate hearing advice on. I have all but decided to take most of the advice on that other thread and avoid Stetson at sticker, mainly due to the low to middle ranging job and salary prospects relative to high tuition. I will probably go to Rutgers Newark, where I was lucky to get in with my numbers.

I deeply considered your advice about putting law school off (again) so I can retake the LSAT and trying to land a scholarship at Stetson or a better school. I'm still open to that. But I did a bit of research on "splitters" (people with low GPA and high LSATs and I decided I would need too high a score in order to qualify for a scholarship at most tier 1s and 2s. Several sources, including the Stetson admissions officer herself, have confirmed that even if I increase my 156 substantially it will not get me a merit scholarship due to my 3.02 GPA. The only schools I have a shot of getting scholarships at with that GPA seem to be Tier 3s and 4s unless I somehow manage to break 165 or 170, which I do not believe is within my ability regardless of how much I prepare.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby Sandro » Fri May 06, 2011 9:04 pm

SubwayatNight wrote:As far as Santa Clara and Chicago Kent go, I've been assuming they have not read my application yet because it's registered as "in committee" which I assume means it's sitting in a filing cabinet somewhere with many other applications that are next in line to be read and considered. I was just wondering if there was a way to cancel my application and get my money back if that is the case. I will probably email them directly about this.

The Stetson thing is something I brought up on a different thread and I do appreciate hearing advice on. I have all but decided to take most of the advice on that other thread and avoid Stetson at sticker, mainly due to the low to middle ranging job and salary prospects relative to high tuition. I will probably go to Rutgers Newark, where I was lucky to get in with my numbers.

I deeply considered your advice about putting law school off (again) so I can retake the LSAT and trying to land a scholarship at Stetson or a better school. I'm still open to that. But I did a bit of research on "splitters" (people with low GPA and high LSATs and I decided I would need too high a score in order to qualify for a scholarship at most tier 1s and 2s. Several sources, including the Stetson admissions officer herself, have confirmed that even if I increase my 156 substantially it will not get me a merit scholarship due to my 3.02 GPA. The only schools I have a shot of getting scholarships at with that GPA seem to be Tier 3s and 4s unless I somehow manage to break 165 or 170, which I do not believe is within my ability regardless of how much I prepare.


In committee means they have looked at your file, especially if its been a while. Refer to my soft rejection comment.

I got a 157 my first go round at the LSAT and went up to 167 on a retake with some dedicated study so its not crazy or anything. in the 164ish range might snag you a wake forest $$ or alabama $$ with a good app. Several people with 164s and my same gpa got 20k a year at wake. Just throwing it out there.

SubwayatNight
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 am

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby SubwayatNight » Sun May 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Haha, Sandro, you make some tempting points for me to consider. It's driving my girlfriend crazy! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA? Do you think my 3.02 with let's say a 165 might get me some scholarship money at a tier 1 or 2? I mean, that's assuming I could even manage that high of a score. What is that - like 20/25 on each section of the test? Eh . . . not sure if I have that in me.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun May 08, 2011 11:24 pm

SubwayatNight wrote: part of the risk of applying

There's your answer. If you really want to press the refund issue then you'd have to talk to the school, but I wouldn't recommend it because you'll look stupid.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Santa Clara and Chi Kent Decision Delays / Refund Policy

Postby Sandro » Mon May 09, 2011 12:10 am

SubwayatNight wrote:Haha, Sandro, you make some tempting points for me to consider. It's driving my girlfriend crazy! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA? Do you think my 3.02 with let's say a 165 might get me some scholarship money at a tier 1 or 2? I mean, that's assuming I could even manage that high of a score. What is that - like 20/25 on each section of the test? Eh . . . not sure if I have that in me.


My gpa was a tad below 3.0. a 165 would for sure get you into a T1/T2 school with money, provided you have a good application. Not all schools, just the ones who like splitters.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apricots, Baidu [Spider], kiwikaki, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests