Which is better for LLM - Cornell or Berkeley?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
czar

Re: Which is better for LLM - Cornell or Berkeley?

Postby czar » Sat May 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Veyron wrote:East coast --> Litigation and transactional law

West coast --> Mostly litigation

LLM from either school --> No job in the U.S.

Is there any particular reason why theres no jobs at all for LLMs? Idk - I do realize there is perhaps considerable truth in that simple statement, but I do wonder why it might be so. Too many qualified JDs available? Not enough demand? Or a bias against foreign lawyers? Idk - i am just making random guesses here - being an outsider.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat May 07, 2011 5:46 pm

czar wrote:

Is there any particular reason why theres no jobs at all for LLMs? Idk - I do realize there is perhaps considerable truth in that simple statement, but I do wonder why it might be so. Too many qualified JDs available? Not enough demand? Or a bias against foreign lawyers? Idk - i am just making random guesses here - being an outsider.

Too many qualified JDs available. You're much better off getting an American JD.

czar

Postby czar » Sat May 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Unfortunately, my personal circumstances and age just dont permit this. I'd do my best and just leave the rest.

For now, I just want to make the right choice of the school - just dont want to regret not choosing the right one. Thats a heavy burden. Me never having been there and no easy access to current students doesnt exactly make it easier.

Veyron wrote:
czar wrote:

Too many qualified JDs available. You're much better off getting an American JD.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sat May 07, 2011 6:18 pm

A non-tax LLM will not get you a job in the US. Most LLMs go back to their home country to work. That's the ONLY reason you should get a non-tax LLM - to help you back home. Don't waste your money on an LLM if you want a job in the US.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”