Which is better for LLM - Cornell or Berkeley?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
czar

Which is better for LLM - Cornell or Berkeley?

Postby czar » Thu May 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Okay I am new to this site and not sure how to navigate this. I am certain several posts might exist already, but my questions are:

1) What are the strengths and weaknesses of cornell v/s berkeley?
2) Can anyone put me across to any existing students at either school?

I am not an american so I dont know where I may want to practice if i am able to at all have that opportunity after the LLM program. I definitely wish to remain in litigation as a career path. Is there a difference in the kind of law practice on the east coast and west coast. Will the east coast career opportunities reduce for me if i choose berkeley?

Any idea why berkely has a ranking of 6 while cornell has a ranking of 13?

If anyone is an alumni from either of these schools and wont mind sharing experiences, please do let me know so I may contact you and talk to you?

I am so, SO very grateful to anyone for their helpful inputs. I am considering both schools for the LLM program and i I have not done JD in america

Thank you once again.
Last edited by czar on Fri May 06, 2011 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexanderhamilton

Re: Cornell or Berkeley?

Postby alexanderhamilton » Thu May 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Geographic preference?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Read each law school's profile on this website (TLS).

If you don't like cold weather, then Berkeley is the better choice. Both are great law schools, however.

czar

Postby czar » Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Ah thank you for your responses. I did read the profiles and I dont know how significant weather is or whether thats the right criterion to select the school. I wonder why Cornell inspite of being Ivy League has a rank of 13 while Berkeley has a rank of 6. Yet when i ask people they all say both are good schools. Like in people's opinon, its not, "berkeley of course"!!

alexanderhamilton

Postby alexanderhamilton » Thu May 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Well if you have to choose between paying sticker at Cornell and sticker at Berkley then I would choose Berkley but it depends on your scholly info. Part of it is also where you want to practice.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu May 05, 2011 4:14 pm

Why these two schools?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Interesting options that just happen to be the two most expensive law schools in the country.

czar

Postby czar » Fri May 06, 2011 2:25 am

Okay these 2 because i am considering an offer from both and i need to pick one asap.

I am not an american so I dont know where I may want to practice if i am able to at all have that opportunity after the LLM program. I definitely wish to remain in litigation as a career path. Is there a difference in the kind of law practice on the east coast and west coast. Will the east coast career opportunities reduce for me if i choose berkeley?

Any idea why berkely has a ranking of 6 while cornell has a ranking of 13?

If anyone is an alumni from either of these schools and wont mind sharing experiences, please do let me know so I may contact you and talk to you?

Thank you so much for responding on this post. xx

Lawl Shcool

Re: Which is better for LLM - Cornell or Berkeley?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Fri May 06, 2011 2:29 am

Both are fantastic schools. Coming from abroad, I think the biggest question is would you rather be in a city or in a more rural college town?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 2:31 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:Both are fantastic schools. Coming from abroad, I think the biggest question is would you rather be in a city or in a more rural college town?

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Fri May 06, 2011 3:00 am

I'm currently studying at Berkeley. There are quite a few LLMs here (about 100), and I've made friends with some of them. They seem to really enjoy living in the area, and they fit in with the rest of the student body. You need to check and see what the course offerings are at each school for next year, because one school might have more courses in your area of interest. Berkeley has been steadily growing it's business law course offering (it appears that most LLMs go after business courses). Overall, the quality of both schools is probably similar. And yes, as an LLM I think that you're paying full sticker, and both are extremely expensive. And lastly, Berkeley has great weather! But, you'll probably be paying a lot more for rent in Berkeley than you would be in Ithaca (I think that I remember it being cheaper there...).

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri May 06, 2011 8:33 am

czar wrote:Any idea why berkely has a ranking of 6 while cornell has a ranking of 13?

In what ranking is Berkeley 6?

czar

Postby czar » Fri May 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Journeybound wrote:I'm currently studying at Berkeley. There are quite a few LLMs here (about 100), and I've made friends with some of them. They seem to really enjoy living in the area, and they fit in with the rest of the student body. You need to check and see what the course offerings are at each school for next year, because one school might have more courses in your area of interest. Berkeley has been steadily growing it's business law course offering (it appears that most LLMs go after business courses). Overall, the quality of both schools is probably similar. And yes, as an LLM I think that you're paying full sticker, and both are extremely expensive. And lastly, Berkeley has great weather! But, you'll probably be paying a lot more for rent in Berkeley than you would be in Ithaca (I think that I remember it being cheaper there...).

Thank you so much. I heard that classes at Berkely are mostly taken by TAs is that right? I have no idea about cornell though

czar

Postby czar » Fri May 06, 2011 11:45 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
czar wrote:Any idea why berkely has a ranking of 6 while cornell has a ranking of 13?

usnews

also in several rankings - in fact all rankings i saw - berekely is higher than cornell. i wonder why. any thoughts?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sat May 07, 2011 12:55 am

czar wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

usnews

also in several rankings - in fact all rankings i saw - berekely is higher than cornell. i wonder why. any thoughts?

Berkeley was 6 back in 09. It is #10 now.

Edit: pardon me. It is number 9 now.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat May 07, 2011 1:14 am

I'm interested to see what kind of info comes out of this thread.

OP, it is true, either way you will be going to a fantastic school with great programs.

I do know that Cornell seems to have a strong bent towards large firms while Boalt seems more strongly geared towards public interest/public sector. I'm sure much of that is due to self-selection, but it might be something to think about.
Also, I would imagine that, due to location alone, the intellectual property/tech options at Boalt are stronger than Cornell.

Bottom line, you can't really go wrong, so long as you're not choosing between full ride at one and sticker at the other.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat May 07, 2011 1:16 am

czar wrote:
Journeybound wrote:I'm currently studying at Berkeley. There are quite a few LLMs here (about 100), and I've made friends with some of them. They seem to really enjoy living in the area, and they fit in with the rest of the student body. You need to check and see what the course offerings are at each school for next year, because one school might have more courses in your area of interest. Berkeley has been steadily growing it's business law course offering (it appears that most LLMs go after business courses). Overall, the quality of both schools is probably similar. And yes, as an LLM I think that you're paying full sticker, and both are extremely expensive. And lastly, Berkeley has great weather! But, you'll probably be paying a lot more for rent in Berkeley than you would be in Ithaca (I think that I remember it being cheaper there...).

Thank you so much. I heard that classes at Berkely are mostly taken by TAs is that right? I have no idea about cornell though

I'm at Berkeley, and I have no idea what this is about.

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Sat May 07, 2011 1:44 am

Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean by TA. Teacher's Assistant? Adjunct? Most of them are taught by tenured professors. And Berkeley is top in its IP program.

czar

Postby czar » Sat May 07, 2011 4:07 pm

I see that Berkely is at 9, but Cornell does continue to remain at 13 right? And I dont even know if that means anything to be honest? Does it? Do recruiters factor in these rankings?

Btw, certainly didnt mean to offend anyone - well you see i just read about TAs and asked. I am SO glad to know that it wasnt true. Since you are at Berkeley, may I please ask how is the placement program at Berkely and how are the job prospects for foreign students? Could you also please share what profile/kind of jobs are usually on offer at Berkeley for foreign students?

Also, what do you NOT like at Berkeley?

I have been in litigation for past 5 years (mostly writ law) and while I am not sure IPR excites me very much, but public policy, governance are certainly my favourite areas!

Once again i am so thank ful to you all for your support and sharing. <3

mths

Postby mths » Sat May 07, 2011 4:30 pm

czar wrote:I see that Berkely is at 9, but Cornell does continue to remain at 13 right? And I dont even know if that means anything to be honest? Does it? Do recruiters factor in these rankings?

Btw, certainly didnt mean to offend anyone - well you see i just read about TAs and asked. I am SO glad to know that it wasnt true. Since you are at Berkeley, may I please ask how is the placement program at Berkely and how are the job prospects for foreign students? Could you also please share what profile/kind of jobs are usually on offer at Berkeley for foreign students?

I have been in litigation for past 5 years (mostly writ law) and while I am not sure IPR excites me very much, but public policy, governance are certainly my favourite areas!

Of course recruiters factor in rankings but it's useless to compare Berkeley to Cornell. They are on opposite sides of the coast and Cornell will place infinitely better in NYC and Berkeley will place infinitely better in California. So you need to make the choice of which coast you want to be on post graduation before deciding on a school.

Also keep in mind that Cornell is a small collegetown miles away from anything. We have a lot of LLM students here and they mix with the JD students all the time and seem to enjoy it. It is also FRIGIDLY cold here for about 5 months of the year.

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat May 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat May 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Curry wrote:Image

This doesn't apply to LLB holders, who are the only people on the planet who actually belong in LLM programs.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat May 07, 2011 5:06 pm

mths wrote:
czar wrote:I see that Berkely is at 9, but Cornell does continue to remain at 13 right? And I dont even know if that means anything to be honest? Does it? Do recruiters factor in these rankings?

Of course recruiters factor in rankings but it's useless to compare Berkeley to Cornell. They are on opposite sides of the coast and Cornell will place infinitely better in NYC and Berkeley will place infinitely better in California. So you need to make the choice of which coast you want to be on post graduation before deciding on a school.

Also keep in mind that Cornell is a small collegetown miles away from anything. We have a lot of LLM students here and they mix with the JD students all the time and seem to enjoy it. It is also FRIGIDLY cold here for about 5 months of the year.

No. Just no.

OP unfortunately I can't really answer your questions because the prospects for LLMs are really different than for JDs. I know that generally, LLMs struggle to find jobs more than JDs but I don't think that has much to do with the school.

If cost matters to you, living expenses in Berkeley will be much higher than in Ithaca. However, Berkeley is an awesome location and you would probably really enjoy living here. Most of the LLMs are sad when they leave.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat May 07, 2011 5:34 pm

East coast --> Litigation and transactional law

West coast --> Mostly litigation

LLM from either school --> No job in the U.S.

czar

Postby czar » Sat May 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Once again, many thanks for your responses. xx

LLMs have it much harder i have heard that as well. Given that then, Journeybound; Worldtraveller (for Berkeley) and mths (for Cornell) - on a scale of 1 - 10 where do you place the school's placement for LLMs? (I do hope this aint a juvenile Question - but I do have to make a decison and i dont know what to do). At this point, seeing as how i have NEVER been to US, i do not know on which coast i want to explore opportunities

Are there anough non-IPR job opportunities around Berkeley? (or at least a year's outlook!)

Also, is it possible to ascribe a % as to how much more expensive Berkeley might be as against Cornell? Does 75k sound like a livable annual budget in Berkeley to cover all costs?

worldtraveler wrote:
mths wrote:

No. Just no.

OP unfortunately I can't really answer your questions because the prospects for LLMs are really different than for JDs. I know that generally, LLMs struggle to find jobs more than JDs but I don't think that has much to do with the school.

If cost matters to you, living expenses in Berkeley will be much higher than in Ithaca. However, Berkeley is an awesome location and you would probably really enjoy living here. Most of the LLMs are sad when they leave.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”