re-applying to HYS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aspeer

re-applying to HYS

Postby aspeer » Wed May 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

Are there any success stories out there of people re-applying to HYS after a deny? I'm pondering re-applying with hopefully a better LSAT score, but wanted to post this out there for any general advice. I also wonder if there are any statistics out there. Best of luck to everyone with their cycles.

dpk711

Re: re-applying to HYS

Postby dpk711 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Come back with the retake score and then we can talk.
/thread

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed May 04, 2011 2:54 pm

aspeer wrote:Hi Everyone,

Are there any success stories out there of people re-applying to HYS after a deny? I'm pondering re-applying with hopefully a better LSAT score, but wanted to post this out there for any general advice. I also wonder if there are any statistics out there. Best of luck to everyone with their cycles.

It definitely happens. Upping your LSAT is the most common cause of getting into HYS after being rejected in a previous year.

aspeer

Postby aspeer » Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks knock. That is encouraging indeed, but how much promise my case holds given I have already taken the LSAT three times (cancel, 163, 170, slightly fudged) is questionable. I suppose I would have to improve dramatically in a forth bravado attempt. In this past cycle I was one of those delusional people who thought his/her softs were so special that numbers would just be a wrinkle the ad committee, in its ultimate wisdom, would decide to put to the side. Altough I have come across on this board non-URMs with smilar types of stats get in. I guess there were able to exploit and integrate whatever softs they had better into a more convincing case. Oh well.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri May 06, 2011 5:51 pm

GPA?

It's worth reapplying for some, but if your GPA is too low then an improved LSAT will probably not help much.

aspeer

Postby aspeer » Fri May 06, 2011 9:42 pm

3.73 honors from top school, finished one year early...

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 9:45 pm

aspeer wrote:3.73 honors from top school, finished one year early...

I highly doubt H or Y will take you with that GPA. Also doesn't H average LSAT scores? Stanford might be possible with a retake though.

Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Fri May 06, 2011 9:45 pm

aspeer wrote:3.73 honors from top school, finished one year early...

Well, I hate to say it, but the GPA is a little low. Below a 3.8 is low for HYS, might be too low.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri May 06, 2011 9:52 pm

Asper- I think these schools average your scores. So right now you have a 163, 170 and what is fudged? did you cancel- score better, score worse, or did you get a misconduct?

Right now you have 166.5 average. While that is a good average score- and your 170 will get you into a lot of schools that dont average- you should either lower your aim a bit ( and apply to the rest of the t14) or aim or a score in the mid to upper 170s ( which is very difficult as you know).

But If you do have a misconduct that may hurt your chances a ton. If you have the option of taking the test again- and are dead set on HYS- then thebest bet would be to do that.

best of luck

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun May 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Get a 177 - 180. Then you have a slight chance at H (however, I do not know how all the retakes are going to look). I do not think that Y nor S is going to be accepting you anytime soon unless you participate / accomplish something that would be considered an epic soft.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sun May 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Yeah I think here the difficulty is the gpa not the LSAT score. Hys have a soft wall at 3.8 now which makes it difficult to get in unless your LSAT exceeds the 75th (and even then your chances are not assured)

aspeer

Postby aspeer » Mon May 09, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks everyone for your honest responses.

Northwood, thank God I don't have a misconduct or anything like that, the fudging is a +/- in LSAT scores. I might as well take the LSAT one more time for the heck of it since in my previous attempts I could not focus on the studying because of work. Honestly, I think this test is a test of nerves more than anything else. If you're in the moment, you're in the moment, if not, you're screwed, that's the sum of the LSAT for me being a veteran of it now :). I also thought I had special softs that could get me through like grad degree from HYPS publications and some other factors, but hey at the end of the day, unfortunately we are defined by our numbers in a pool of applicants who all have special stories. I will let you guys know how my story ends; either I'm cured of my prestige obsession (seriously I would like to return to one of these schools especially to continue my research in my department concurrently with law) or I get my miracle LSAT score and still get rejected, whowhow!!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 11, 2011 10:59 pm

I reapplied to Harvard and got WL instead of ding this year. Same LSAT. It's not a success story (yet) but it's something.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”