Schools that weigh ug major more

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gator89
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby gator89 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Does anyone know of schools that will take ug major into consideration a little more when it comes to gpa? I will have a 3.55 when I apply which is just below the median at the schools I am aiming for (ranking around 30-50). The schools I am looking at have roughly 3.6-3.7 as their gpa medians. Is the only way to combat my being under the gpa median to score higher than the median LSAT?

tourdeforcex
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby tourdeforcex » Wed May 04, 2011 2:01 pm

i don't know the information you're looking for but more importantly, i'm not sure if that type of aggregate information even exists on the applicant side of the law school application universe.

in the end, UG Major is at best a weak soft. i read a funny statement earlier where someone said (something like) "4.0 dance major from pudonk university >>>> 3.0 math major <or otherwise "hard" major> from ivy league"

as will be reiterated on TLS, focus on the LSAT.

the LSAT is estimated to be 50-65% weight of the decision (remainder being 25-40% UG GPA, 5% Ps, 0-5% everything else) for an average traditional applicant.

Is the only way to combat my being under the gpa median to score higher than the median LSAT?
no. it isn't the only way but it is probably the best way in terms of timing and efficiency. it possible winning the nobel peace prize would combat a lower GPA, but that might take years. job experience might make some difference if you're aiming high, but again at best, we are discussing softs. remember basic breakdown: LSAT 50%, GPA 40%, PS 5%, everything else that you've ever accomplished in life in a resume and short answer format 5%.

hope this helps.
Last edited by tourdeforcex on Wed May 04, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby glitter178 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:02 pm

gator89 wrote:Does anyone know of schools that will take ug major into consideration a little more when it comes to gpa? I will have a 3.55 when I apply which is just below the median at the schools I am aiming for (ranking around 30-50). The schools I am looking at have roughly 3.6-3.7 as their gpa medians. Is the only way to combat my being under the gpa median to score higher than the median LSAT?


yes.

gator89
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby gator89 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks, question answered. Time to study.

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby czelede » Wed May 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Once you are above the LSAT threshold - once you are a borderline candidate rather than an auto-reject candidate by basis of your numbers, that is - some schools may bump you over for a more difficult undergrad major. In other words, they may be more willing to forgive the low GPA.

What was your major?

gator89
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby gator89 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:21 pm

accounting, not the toughest but I would say it is not as easy to maintain a high gpa when compared to some liberal arts majors.

Curry

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby Curry » Wed May 04, 2011 2:35 pm

gator89 wrote:accounting, not the toughest but I would say it is not as easy to maintain a high gpa when compared to some liberal arts majors.

Your major will get you 0 extra points. Sorry

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby jrose5 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Science major here at a top 20 college - graduating magna cum laude with an honors thesis. I was judged solely by my GPA and LSAT just like anyone else. The school I am attending, though, gave me a little more scholarship money than was expected with my stats... But I was given no boost in the admissions process itself. Kind of sucks considering my non-science GPA is pretty much a 4.0.
Last edited by jrose5 on Wed May 04, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
YaSvoboden
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby YaSvoboden » Wed May 04, 2011 2:42 pm

gator89 wrote:accounting, not the toughest but I would say it is not as easy to maintain a high gpa when compared to some liberal arts majors.


I am an accounting major as well and I asked this question to an adcomm member from a school in that range and he said that I definitely get some street cred (he actually said street cred, I am not sure what the hell that means.) He said that if I had taken accounting from the school down the road from me (top 3 accounting) then I would have a significant boost, but my school doesn't get the most respect in this region.

But you really oughta try and break their LSAT medians.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Wait, there are people who consider accounting hard? The two accounting classes I've taken were certainly pretty middle of the road in toughness. They weren't easy, but they weren't hard.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed May 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Curry wrote:
gator89 wrote:accounting, not the toughest but I would say it is not as easy to maintain a high gpa when compared to some liberal arts majors.

Your major will get you 0 extra points. Sorry

Yeah, accounting is about average. I cite the following as a tangential form of evidence:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -math.html

Also, in future discussions of this kind, could we please replace "some liberal arts majors" with "sociology." I think it's better to be precise.
Last edited by AntipodeanPhil on Wed May 04, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
YaSvoboden
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby YaSvoboden » Wed May 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Wait, there are people who consider accounting hard? The two accounting classes I've taken were certainly pretty middle of the road in toughness. They weren't easy, but they weren't hard.


It gets tougher after the introductory classes. I definitely wouldn't put it up there with math/science. I think it's pretty comparable to the finance/econ stuff. Nothing that really deserves a boost. My roommates are polysci and psychology majors and I definitely have a tougher major than them, but they are kinda slackers so it is tough to really tell.

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Yeah, accounting is about average. I cite the following as a tangential form of evidence:

--LinkRemoved--


Not that I necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but 15 year old LSAT data as evidence of a degree difficulty is questionable.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed May 04, 2011 3:32 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:Not that I necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but 15 year old LSAT data as evidence of a degree difficulty is questionable.

Whoops. I replaced the link with a more recent data.

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed May 04, 2011 3:34 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:Yeah, accounting is about average. I cite the following as a tangential form of evidence:

--LinkRemoved--


Not that I necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but 15 year old LSAT data as evidence of a degree difficulty is questionable.

The results aren't going to change much even if it's updated but i do have to say that the average only shows whether a certain major exercises the right type of thinking during UG I wonder what Pre-Law major is like...? :shock:

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:35 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Wait, there are people who consider accounting hard? The two accounting classes I've taken were certainly pretty middle of the road in toughness. They weren't easy, but they weren't hard.


It gets tougher after the introductory classes. I definitely wouldn't put it up there with math/science. I think it's pretty comparable to the finance/econ stuff. Nothing that really deserves a boost. My roommates are polysci and psychology majors and I definitely have a tougher major than them, but they are kinda slackers so it is tough to really tell.



I'm probably bias because i'm an Econ major, but economics certainly seems tougher simply because the math is much more complex and the thinking is much more abstract.

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby czelede » Wed May 04, 2011 3:42 pm

I don't think that chart is correlated to the actual difficulty of majors, so I'm not sure of its relevance, even tangentially. I'm pretty sure if there were to be bumps for difficult majors, Computer Science/Engineering would get it before English.

User avatar
YaSvoboden
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby YaSvoboden » Wed May 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm probably bias because i'm an Econ major, but economics certainly seems tougher simply because the math is much more complex and the thinking is much more abstract.


That's a fair assessment. I base the rough equality of difficulty on some double major people I know. I would never argue that accounting is harder than econ, but the higher end financial stuff and tax classes definitely get tough. I also have a friend that is a math/econ double major and math seems to be far more difficult than either.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby dkt4 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:36 pm

nevermind, read it in context a bit more. (i'm lazy)

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby protein » Thu May 05, 2011 3:20 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
YaSvoboden wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Wait, there are people who consider accounting hard? The two accounting classes I've taken were certainly pretty middle of the road in toughness. They weren't easy, but they weren't hard.


It gets tougher after the introductory classes. I definitely wouldn't put it up there with math/science. I think it's pretty comparable to the finance/econ stuff. Nothing that really deserves a boost. My roommates are polysci and psychology majors and I definitely have a tougher major than them, but they are kinda slackers so it is tough to really tell.



I'm probably bias because i'm an Econ major, but economics certainly seems tougher simply because the math is much more complex and the thinking is much more abstract.


Let's go with this! (fellow econ major here)

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu May 05, 2011 3:23 am

even though we can generalize with most majors, i find it difficult when they are relatively close in difficulty -- comes down to people right?

like for me, id easily find the science majors (chem/bio, not physics) easier than finance or even econ (and definitely math gulp) lol

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby spacepenguin » Thu May 05, 2011 9:56 am

DoubleChecks wrote:even though we can generalize with most majors, i find it difficult when they are relatively close in difficulty -- comes down to people right?

like for me, id easily find the science majors (chem/bio, not physics) easier than finance or even econ (and definitely math gulp) lol


+1

While I found my math/science/econ classes to be way easier than Intro to Roman Civilization--but I think that can mainly be attributed to my lack of interest in that particular subject.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby hipstermafia » Thu May 05, 2011 9:58 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Wait, there are people who consider accounting hard?

titcr

User avatar
Jah'rakal
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby Jah'rakal » Thu May 05, 2011 10:25 am

hipstermafia wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Wait, there are people who consider accounting hard?

titcr

it's harder than liberal arts

User avatar
Michaela
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby Michaela » Thu May 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Wait, there are people who consider accounting hard?

titcr

it's harder than liberal arts


Except "liberal arts" isn't a major. At many schools, the college of arts and sciences consists of HUNDREDS of majors. Sure, "family and consumer sciences" and "merchandising and apparel" are probably really easy compared with accounting or really just about anything, but, depending on your choice of courses/instructors writing multiple 8-20+ page papers in several classes is probably much harder if you're doing it right (by which I mean you know, reading the material and writing a solid thesis and actually defending it).

FWIW all of the dummies I knew were accounting majors.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Schools that weigh ug major more

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Michaela wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Wait, there are people who consider accounting hard?

titcr

it's harder than liberal arts


Except "liberal arts" isn't a major. At many schools, the college of arts and sciences consists of HUNDREDS of majors. Sure, "family and consumer sciences" and "merchandising and apparel" are probably really easy compared with accounting or really just about anything, but, depending on your choice of courses/instructors writing multiple 8-20+ page papers in several classes is probably much harder if you're doing it right (by which I mean you know, reading the material and writing a solid thesis and actually defending it).

FWIW all of the dummies I knew were accounting majors.

It's not worth much.

As someone who also had a "liberal arts" major, I also thought that my paper intensive classes required more time than my econ classes but they were actually easier to get good grades in.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 2 guests