Help me choose

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which option should I pick?

Poll ended at Sat May 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Quit current job (good pay) and go to a T20 full time at sticker (debt + savings)
22%
Move to legal dept in my company, keep salary, and go to a tier-2 PT (some tuition assistance + some scholarship)
78%

Total votes: 23

helpmechoose

Help me choose

Postby helpmechoose » Tue May 03, 2011 6:42 pm

I know I'm not giving too much detail, but please weigh in...

dpk711

Re: Help me choose

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:43 pm

If you already have a good job it would be idiotic to go to a T20 at sticker. The legal profession and market sucks.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Uh.
Hm.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Do you want to work as a lawyer for your company? Then go PT.

Do you want to work as a lawyer for anyone else? Then take the T20.

Also, you should assess whether you really want to be a lawyer as you will probably make less on top of losing your savings to become one.

helpmechoose

Postby helpmechoose » Tue May 03, 2011 6:52 pm

I don't mind doing this at all

Also, you should assess whether you really want to be a lawyer as you will probably make less on top of losing your savings to become one.

Not sure I understand this point. I am not a 100% sure I will enjoy practicing, but I think I will enjoy law school. Also, my company is letting me keep my salary, so when I graduate, if anything, my salary will go up.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 03, 2011 6:53 pm

helpmechoose wrote:

Not sure I understand this point. I am not a 100% sure I will enjoy practicing, but I think I will enjoy law school. Also, my company is letting me keep my salary, so when I graduate, if anything, my salary will go up.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue May 03, 2011 6:56 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
helpmechoose wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

I actually enjoyed watching parts of that healthcare summit.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 03, 2011 6:56 pm

ahduth wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
helpmechoose wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

I actually enjoyed watching parts of that healthcare summit.

Ninja edit = success.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:58 pm

helpmechoose wrote:Not sure I understand this point. I am not a 100% sure I will enjoy practicing, but I think I will enjoy law school. Also, my company is letting me keep my salary, so when I graduate, if anything, my salary will go up.

Even if you go to the T20 they will let you come back?

The enjoying law school point seems odd. You're spending 3 years of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars just to enjoy going to school for 3 years? If you really want to spend money on enjoying yourself I am sure there are far better ways of doing it.

helpmechoose

Postby helpmechoose » Tue May 03, 2011 7:04 pm

bk1 wrote:
helpmechoose wrote:Not sure I understand this point. I am not a 100% sure I will enjoy practicing, but I think I will enjoy law school. Also, my company is letting me keep my salary, so when I graduate, if anything, my salary will go up.

Even if you go to the T20 they will let you come back?

Possibly but no guarantees.

The enjoying law school point seems odd. You're spending 3 years of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars just to enjoy going to school for 3 years? If you really want to spend money on enjoying yourself I am sure there are far better ways of doing it.

Right, I was trying to respond to the question "How sure are you of wanting to be a lawyer?" Since I have only an outside perspective so far it's difficult for me to say "It's truly my life's calling". I think I'll like aspects of it (such as school from the research I've done).

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Tue May 03, 2011 7:08 pm

How good is the pay?
I personally would go the first option depending on the definition of "good"

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:09 pm

helpmechoose wrote:Right, I was trying to respond to the question "How sure are you of wanting to be a lawyer?" Since I have only an outside perspective so far it's difficult for me to say "It's truly my life's calling". I think I'll like aspects of it (such as school from the research I've done).

The reason I said it was because you are risking more than most people because your opportunity cost is higher than most people.

I think which T2 it is also matters here if you want to do something other than work for your company after graduation. For example, if it is Santa Clara that is pretty bad considering less than 25% of their graduating class finds full time, bar required jobs within 9 months of graduation. Other T2's are better, though some are just as bad. If you want to work for your company afterwards then definitely go to the T2 since it should be cheaper. If you don't then go to the T20. Though there could also be a case made for not going at all but that would revolve more around your personal choice.

helpmechoose

Postby helpmechoose » Thu May 05, 2011 2:01 am

One question I would like to add in here is (if I do want to keep options open other than working for my company on graduation): will not getting four years of legal WE offset the fact that I didn't go to a T20 law school, at least to some extent?

protein

Postby protein » Thu May 05, 2011 3:21 am

Darnit I was loving the Obama reaction pics ITT

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu May 05, 2011 5:52 pm

protein wrote:Darnit I was loving the Obama reaction pics ITT

I liked the breakdown of this photo (the unfamiliar staring-daggers gaze of Obama):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/li ... -room.html

edit: Here's a completely unrelated reaction pic for shits and giggles:

Duke Silver

Postby Duke Silver » Thu May 05, 2011 5:55 pm

ahduth wrote:
protein wrote:Darnit I was loving the Obama reaction pics ITT

I liked the breakdown of this photo (the unfamiliar staring-daggers gaze of Obama):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/li ... -room.html

edit: Here's a completely unrelated reaction pic for shits and giggles:

That article is hilarious. I love their food analysis.

helpmechoose

Postby helpmechoose » Thu May 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”