My observation about the people on this board

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 04, 2011 3:02 pm

ITT: Special snowflakes stick their fingers in their ears, ignore basic math, and repeatedly say "I think I can! I think I can!"

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby aliarrow » Wed May 04, 2011 3:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
I don't really have a desire to have those things anywhere in the near future, they all seem too expensive. What you describe sounds like a dream

lol

You can't live like a college kid forever.


Challenge accepted

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby geoduck » Wed May 04, 2011 3:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:ITT: Special snowflakes stick their fingers in their ears, ignore basic math, and repeatedly say "I think I can! I think I can!"


I dunno about everyone else, but I've constantly mentioned dying in the poor house as one of the potential outcomes. The lucky and talented ones are just less likely.

rose711
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby rose711 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:06 pm

Somehow I don't think that Tigerdad left grad school owing 6 figures of debt.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby firemed » Wed May 04, 2011 3:19 pm

rose711 wrote:Somehow I don't think that Tigerdad left grad school owing 6 figures of debt.


+1

None of our parents had to deal with tuition costs that so far outstripped inflation they are actually ludicrous.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:20 pm

firemed wrote:
rose711 wrote:Somehow I don't think that Tigerdad left grad school owing 6 figures of debt.


+1

None of our parents had to deal with tuition costs that so far outstripped inflation they are actually ludicrous.

My father took out student loans his freshman year, even though my grandparents were paying for his school, and was able to invest it at a high enough interest rate to buy a car after graduation.

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby aliarrow » Wed May 04, 2011 3:35 pm

It seems like there is a divide between the upper/middle middle and the upper lower/lower middle class posters. The former are primarily looking for the greatest possible ROI with as little debt as possible, whereas the latter are more interested in clawing their way out of the poor house by whatever means necessary with much less risk aversion since there isn't much to lose anyway. At least this is what I've gathered from various threads.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed May 04, 2011 3:39 pm

aliarrow wrote:It seems like there is a divide between the upper/middle middle and the upper lower/lower middle class posters. The former are primarily looking for the greatest possible ROI with as little debt as possible, whereas the latter are more interested in clawing their way out of the poor house by whatever means necessary with much less risk aversion since there isn't much to lose anyway. At least this is what I've gathered from various threads.

Quite interesting . . .

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby kwais » Wed May 04, 2011 3:42 pm

aliarrow wrote:It seems like there is a divide between the upper/middle middle and the upper lower/lower middle class posters. The former are primarily looking for the greatest possible ROI with as little debt as possible, whereas the latter are more interested in clawing their way out of the poor house by whatever means necessary with much less risk aversion since there isn't much to lose anyway. At least this is what I've gathered from various threads.


+1

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 04, 2011 3:55 pm

aliarrow wrote:It seems like there is a divide between the upper/middle middle and the upper lower/lower middle class posters. The former are primarily looking for the greatest possible ROI with as little debt as possible, whereas the latter are more interested in clawing their way out of the poor house by whatever means necessary with much less risk aversion since there isn't much to lose anyway. At least this is what I've gathered from various threads.

Very, very boldretarded assumption to make here chief, and one that I don't think is even in the ballpark based on the people I've met from TLS, who I assume you are referring to.

And even if you were right, then I'd say those "lower middle class posters" without the risk aversion who are taking out hundreds of thousands in debt in order to "claw your way out of the poorhouse" probably belong in the poorhouse. "Hey, I want to pull myself up by the bootstraps and get out of the poorhouse... Step one, take out 150k for a worthless J.D.!" Good plan.

But yeah, I'm sure debt averse people like me, firemed, bk, etc. are the way we are because we're just swimming in money. BRB, gotta go light a few hundred dolla billz on fire.

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby aliarrow » Wed May 04, 2011 3:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
aliarrow wrote:It seems like there is a divide between the upper/middle middle and the upper lower/lower middle class posters. The former are primarily looking for the greatest possible ROI with as little debt as possible, whereas the latter are more interested in clawing their way out of the poor house by whatever means necessary with much less risk aversion since there isn't much to lose anyway. At least this is what I've gathered from various threads.

Very, very boldretarded assumption to make here chief, and one that I don't think is even in the ballpark based on the people I've met from TLS, who I assume you are referring to.

And even if you were right, then I'd say those "lower middle class posters" without the risk aversion who are taking out hundreds of thousands in debt in order to "claw your way out of the poorhouse" probably belong in the poorhouse. "Hey, I want to pull myself up by the bootstraps and get out of the poorhouse... Step one, take out 150k for a worthless J.D.!"


I know, I've seen that argument made before. But which is worse, trying with a 50/50 shot at either making it out with a decent career or remaining in the poor house, or not trying and remaining relatively poor your entire life no matter what?

Until you've been in that kind of situation it's hard to fully understand the mindset.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed May 04, 2011 3:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
aliarrow wrote:It seems like there is a divide between the upper/middle middle and the upper lower/lower middle class posters. The former are primarily looking for the greatest possible ROI with as little debt as possible, whereas the latter are more interested in clawing their way out of the poor house by whatever means necessary with much less risk aversion since there isn't much to lose anyway. At least this is what I've gathered from various threads.

Very, very boldretarded assumption to make here chief, and one that I don't think is even in the ballpark based on the people I've met from TLS, who I assume you are referring to.

And even if you were right, then I'd say those "lower middle class posters" without the risk aversion who are taking out hundreds of thousands in debt in order to "claw your way out of the poorhouse" probably belong in the poorhouse. "Hey, I want to pull myself up by the bootstraps and get out of the poorhouse... Step one, take out 150k for a worthless J.D.!" Good plan.

But yeah, I'm sure debt averse people like me, firemed, bk, etc. are the way we are because we're just swimming in money. BRB, gotta go light a few hundred dolla billz on fire.


Way to straw men an argument. I'm sure that comes in handy.

Thing is, Ali's argument was so out there it didn't even require a straw man.

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby aliarrow » Wed May 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Look,
I like BK, Romo, all you guys, and I think you all make very valid arguments. I'm not a TTT sympathizer who thinks its a good idea to go to Suffolk/Barry/whatever to escape poverty. But when it comes to taking on some debt for a T100, I can understand less risk aversion coming from lower class users.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby Sandro » Wed May 04, 2011 4:05 pm

I think Ali has a point. I've noticed it as well, some posters just scream what socio-economic class they represent and their advice/posts seem to be shaped by it. Particularly manifested in the notion that if you arent making 150k+ you are a failure.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Sandro wrote:I think Ali has a point. I've noticed it as well, some posters just scream what socio-economic class they represent and their advice/posts seem to be shaped by it. Particularly manifested in the notion that if you arent making 150k+ you are a failure.

While I do notice this in some threads, talking about law school in terms of ROI certainly isn't one of those ways to determine what socio-economic class someone is. It's just a smart way to look at any decision.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby firemed » Wed May 04, 2011 4:08 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
aliarrow wrote:It seems like there is a divide between the upper/middle middle and the upper lower/lower middle class posters. The former are primarily looking for the greatest possible ROI with as little debt as possible, whereas the latter are more interested in clawing their way out of the poor house by whatever means necessary with much less risk aversion since there isn't much to lose anyway. At least this is what I've gathered from various threads.

Very, very boldretarded assumption to make here chief, and one that I don't think is even in the ballpark based on the people I've met from TLS, who I assume you are referring to.

And even if you were right, then I'd say those "lower middle class posters" without the risk aversion who are taking out hundreds of thousands in debt in order to "claw your way out of the poorhouse" probably belong in the poorhouse. "Hey, I want to pull myself up by the bootstraps and get out of the poorhouse... Step one, take out 150k for a worthless J.D.!" Good plan.

But yeah, I'm sure debt averse people like me, firemed, bk, etc. are the way we are because we're just swimming in money. BRB, gotta go light a few hundred dolla billz on fire.


Way to straw men an argument. I'm sure that comes in handy.

Thing is, Ali's argument was so out there it didn't even require a straw man.



Straw man or not... I think he is right. There are a LOT of lower middle class (or even bottom rung) posters on the forum that are profoundly debt adverse. And I think it might honestly be personal preference based off life experiences and personality... not Socioeconomic class.

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby aliarrow » Wed May 04, 2011 4:11 pm

firemed wrote:Straw man or not... I think he is right. There are a LOT of lower middle class (or even bottom rung) posters on the forum that are profoundly debt adverse. And I think it might honestly be the opposite ali posted. The rich kids are more likely to take the debt than the poor ones.


Maybe the 'rich' ones are, especially if they have parents paying. But really I'm talking about lower class vs middle class

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed May 04, 2011 4:11 pm

firemed wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
aliarrow wrote:It seems like there is a divide between the upper/middle middle and the upper lower/lower middle class posters. The former are primarily looking for the greatest possible ROI with as little debt as possible, whereas the latter are more interested in clawing their way out of the poor house by whatever means necessary with much less risk aversion since there isn't much to lose anyway. At least this is what I've gathered from various threads.

Very, very boldretarded assumption to make here chief, and one that I don't think is even in the ballpark based on the people I've met from TLS, who I assume you are referring to.

And even if you were right, then I'd say those "lower middle class posters" without the risk aversion who are taking out hundreds of thousands in debt in order to "claw your way out of the poorhouse" probably belong in the poorhouse. "Hey, I want to pull myself up by the bootstraps and get out of the poorhouse... Step one, take out 150k for a worthless J.D.!" Good plan.

But yeah, I'm sure debt averse people like me, firemed, bk, etc. are the way we are because we're just swimming in money. BRB, gotta go light a few hundred dolla billz on fire.


Way to straw men an argument. I'm sure that comes in handy.

Thing is, Ali's argument was so out there it didn't even require a straw man.



Straw man or not... I think he is right. There are a LOT of lower middle class (or even bottom rung) posters on the forum that are profoundly debt adverse. And I think it might honestly be personal preference based off life experiences and personality... not Socioeconomic class.


I agree with you it's just that Romo handled his reply horribly.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby firemed » Wed May 04, 2011 4:14 pm

aliarrow wrote:
firemed wrote:Straw man or not... I think he is right. There are a LOT of lower middle class (or even bottom rung) posters on the forum that are profoundly debt adverse. And I think it might honestly bethe opposite ali posted. The rich kids are more likely to take the debt than the poor ones.


Maybe the 'rich' ones are, especially if they have parents paying. But really I'm talking about lower class vs middle class


I changed my statement.... I was hoping to ninja it before it posted. Oh well. Here is what I wanted to say:

"And I think it might honestly be personal preference based off life experiences and personality... not Socioeconomic class."
Last edited by firemed on Wed May 04, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1914
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed May 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Being debt averse and looking at potential ROI are very different animals.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby bk1 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:15 pm

My name keeps getting mentioned but I can't hear you guys over the sound of benjamins fluttering down from the sky everywhere I go.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 04, 2011 4:15 pm

firemed wrote:Straw man or not... I think he is right. There are a LOT of lower middle class (or even bottom rung) posters on the forum that are profoundly debt adverse. And I think it might honestly be personal preference based off life experiences and personality... not Socioeconomic class.

This, this, this. $200,000 is a mind-numbing amount of money to me. I come from a pretty standard middle class family. I would never try to call myself poor, but I would never even dream of calling my family "rich." $200,000 is an amount of debt that I truly cannot fathom for educational debt. I don't think I've ever hand more than $5,000 or so in my bank account, and usually I live off my tips. The rich kids are usually the ones who have no concept of money at a young age, so I think it is the exact opposite of what aliarrow is saying.

Patriot1208 wrote:While I do notice this in some threads, talking about law school in terms of ROI certainly isn't one of those ways to determine what socio-economic class someone is. It's just a smart way to look at any decision.


And also this.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby firemed » Wed May 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Being debt averse and looking at potential ROI are very different animals.



Yeah... but I think they are connected. I am debt adverse because that lowers my potential ROI. If I had a 95% chance at making $160K-300K a year (like, if I went to medical school) I wouldn't even care about the loans. Not one bit.

ETA: I am reading this again, and I am saying it wrong somehow... but, hopefully, you understand what I am saying?
Last edited by firemed on Wed May 04, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby aliarrow » Wed May 04, 2011 4:18 pm

firemed wrote:I changed my statement.... I was hoping to ninja it before it posted. Oh well. Here is what I wanted to say:

"And I think it might honestly be personal preference based off life experiences and personality... not Socioeconomic class."


Maybe, but Life Experiences are very much influenced by Socioeconomic class (personality no, that's just a wildcard).

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: My observation about the people on this board

Postby flcath » Wed May 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Dear Ken,

Your website is starting to suck ass.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests