2 year JD for foregin law degree holders?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justwondering123

2 year JD for foregin law degree holders?

Postby justwondering123 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:42 pm

i am aware northwestern have one (accelerated JD)
as do Upenn (years standing for foreign law degree holders)

i am from england and have an LLB in laws. Basically i would like to know what other schools allow those with law degrees from other countries, have a years standing. And generally more information on this concept of a years standing etc.

thanks guys

Teoeo

Re: 2 year JD for foregin law degree holders?

Postby Teoeo » Mon May 02, 2011 2:45 pm

justwondering123 wrote:i am aware northwestern have one (accelerated JD)

i am from england and have an LLB in laws. Basically i would like to know what other schools allow those with law degrees from other countries, have a years standing. And generally more information on this concept of a years standing etc.

thanks guys

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon May 02, 2011 2:47 pm

LLM = 1 year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_ ... M._degrees

Most schools offer a general American common law LLM for international students.

justwondering123

Postby justwondering123 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Teoeo wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:i am aware northwestern have one (accelerated JD)

thanks guys

what is the need for that?

thanks guys[/quote]
bdubs wrote:LLM = 1 year

Most schools offer a general American common law LLM for international students.
bdubs wrote:LLM = 1 year

i am aware of the LLM however as i want to have a career out in the US long-term and live out their, it would be hard for me to compete for jobs with those who have full JDs hence a JD is a more viable and efficient solution.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon May 02, 2011 3:08 pm

justwondering123 wrote:i am aware of the LLM however as i want to have a career out in the US long-term and live out their, it would be hard for me to compete for jobs with those who have full JDs hence a JD is a more viable and efficient solution.

Do you have work authorization in the US? I can't see them giving out visas when there are so many qualified citizens who want those jobs.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 pm

justwondering123 wrote:what is the need for that?

I think Teoeo is sceptical that you are from England because you seem to have trouble with the English language.

I know there are various less prestigious schools with accelerated JDs, like KU. IMHO, you would be best to avoid them though - I've read that employers are sceptical, and they also put you at a disadvantage with regard to summer employment, which is very important for getting a job at a top firm after graduation.

tvt86

Postby tvt86 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Justwondering, I also have an LLB from the UK and have been looking into this issue all year while I have been applying to law school. It's most definitely a possibility. I know that, among other schools, George Washington, University of Richmond and Tulane all offer the possibility of advanced standing. I know of these ones in particular because my research was confined to the south-east, but I'm sure there are other schools in that region and beyond that would allow you to do that. Some of them (like Northwestern) have that as an official policy. Others do it on a discretionary basis, so it's best to speak with them about it.

In the end, I decided to go to a school that refused to grant advanced standing because of a bunch of personal factors. But, given the choice, I'd rather have gone somewhere that would have only taken 2 years. The other posters in this forum make some valid points - it does put you out of sync with others for summer hiring, for example - but personally, I'd have preferred to avoid the extra year of law school debt.

Please feel free to reply on the forum or to PM me if you have any more questions about this or any other issues about being a Brit with ambitions to be a law student/lawyer in the US. I've done quite a bit of research into law school stuff this year and have also worked in US law offices for the last 3 years. I'd only be too happy to pass on any useful information on.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”