is harvard phone interview mandatory?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
futurehero
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:01 pm

is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby futurehero » Mon May 02, 2011 11:53 am

is there any way to get into harvard law without having a phone interview?
just wondering.. because I suck at phone interviews. face-to-face interviews will be fine but i would avoid phone interviews as much as possible

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon May 02, 2011 11:58 am

no. it's mandatory.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon May 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Generally it's considered a privilege to get one of those phone calls. However, it's mandatory whether you feel that way or not. There is no way for applicants to get direct access to the adcomms while their decision is pending (I remember trying), you aren't given enough notice to set up an in-person interview (if you get an advance email, it'll be a day in advance at most) and at that point I believe even a mediocre interview performance would be better them an email pleading for a face-to-face meeting because you can't handle a five-minute phone call.

I'm sure you could try to request it, but practically, if you actually want to be admitted, you should just do the phone interview if you get one.

TL;DR:

DoubleChecks wrote:no. it's mandatory.

User avatar
krasivaya
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby krasivaya » Mon May 02, 2011 12:32 pm

futurehero wrote:is there any way to get into harvard law without having a phone interview?
just wondering.. because I suck at phone interviews. face-to-face interviews will be fine but i would avoid phone interviews as much as possible


I totally get phone anxiety. I HATE getting phone calls from potential new employers, especially when they catch me off-guard.

Try to make one random phone call a day, calling a restaurant to ask about wait times or a nurse hotline for some random medical question. The more comfortable you are with your cell the less awkward the dreaded but much hoped for school/employer phone call will be.

futurehero
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby futurehero » Mon May 02, 2011 12:49 pm

urg...
the thing is, i am not a native english speaker. i am good enough for working and studying in the states but phone interviews scare me.... thinking that they might not understand my pronunciation or something like that.

what if i am abroad when they call me? do they still try to reach me? that's actually a possibility because i go to home every winter break, and that might be the time they call applicants around

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon May 02, 2011 12:53 pm

futurehero wrote:urg...
the thing is, i am not a native english speaker. i am good enough for working and studying in the states but phone interviews scare me.... thinking that they might not understand my pronunciation or something like that.

what if i am abroad when they call me? do they still try to reach me? that's actually a possibility because i go to home every winter break, and that might be the time they call applicants around


instead of trying to avoid this, you should look for ways to become more comfortable with this. after all, you will be spending 3 yrs in a law school where, well, your oral skills may be the focus point at certain times (and this is assuming you dont even practice in the US afterwards)

practice it and develop some confidence

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby acrossthelake » Mon May 02, 2011 12:54 pm

They will call you abroad. This cycle we got an e-mail a week ahead of time with our scheduled time and they asked us to confirm that the time and number they were planning to call worked.

law777
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby law777 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 pm

.
Last edited by law777 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby soj » Mon May 02, 2011 1:06 pm

I heard JR1s don't weigh that heavily in the decision anyway. Unless you really fuck up (e.g. say something racist), you'll be fine. I've heard of plenty of people who didn't bomb but still sucked (e.g. stuttered a lot, talked in circles) who got JR2.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm

soj wrote:I heard JR1s don't weigh that heavily in the decision anyway. Unless you really fuck up (e.g. say something racist), you'll be fine. I've heard of plenty of people who didn't bomb but still sucked (e.g. stuttered a lot, talked in circles) who got JR2.


while true, there are roughly 25% who get JR1s and no JR2s so..

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby soj » Mon May 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Obviously this is speculative, but I think at least some of that 25% is people who barely got JR1s and were unlikely to get JR2s anyway. I guess for these applicants it's important to ace the interview (and even that might not be enough), but most of the time it's enough to have stellar numbers and a not-disastrous phone interview.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 pm

futurehero wrote:the thing is, i am not a native english speaker. i am good enough for working and studying in the states but phone interviews scare me.... thinking that they might not understand my pronunciation or something like that.

If you're worried about a law school phone interview for this reason, you should be worried about job interviews even more so.

I went to graduate school with two people who both had significant accents. One was unable to get a job and the other had to go through an unusually large number of interviews, despite the fact that they both looked great on paper.

Of course, that's academia - a different job market - but I would imagine law is similar. Both involve a significant amount of interpersonal interaction - with colleagues and clients or students.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon May 02, 2011 1:29 pm

soj wrote:Obviously this is speculative, but I think at least some of that 25% is people who barely got JR1s and were unlikely to get JR2s anyway. I guess for these applicants it's important to ace the interview (and even that might not be enough), but most of the time it's enough to have stellar numbers and a not-disastrous phone interview.


oh i dont disagree with your point that your JR1 prob doesnt have to be great. just saying, don't know what group OP falls under...

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby glewz » Mon May 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Seems that JR1 is just a formality, but yes, I'm pretty sure it's mandatory.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: is harvard phone interview mandatory?

Postby acrossthelake » Mon May 02, 2011 2:11 pm

soj wrote:Obviously this is speculative, but I think at least some of that 25% is people who barely got JR1s and were unlikely to get JR2s anyway. I guess for these applicants it's important to ace the interview (and even that might not be enough), but most of the time it's enough to have stellar numbers and a not-disastrous phone interview.


Yeah at the end of my interview in Oct. JR told me to expect to hear back in mid to late November, which is when the first wave of acceptances go out (holds don't go out till January), so I'm guessing that my interview wasn't a big deal and that I just had to not screw up.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests