Soo... how do I disclose getting a public indecency ticket? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
orm518

Bronze

Re: Soo... how do I disclose getting a public indecency ticket?

Post by orm518 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:31 am

Wasn't you guys was it....?

"At about 8:46am, on Thursday, May 5, 2011, officers from Area B-2 (Roxbury) responded to a call for two people having sex in a park in the area of Massachusetts Avenue and Shirley Street. "

Made the news yesterday.

--LinkRemoved--

ETA: There's no names on the report, so I linked to it for the laugh factor, not to out anyone. I'm sure it's coincidence.
Last edited by orm518 on Fri May 06, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri May 06, 2011 11:33 am

ahduth wrote: Maybe just say, my boyfriend and I were cited for blah blah blah. They'll get the picture.
Agreed, but I would add a location and if possible use the word secluded.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Fri May 06, 2011 11:33 am

orm518 wrote:Wasn't you guys was it....?

"At about 8:46am, on Thursday, May 5, 2011, officers from Area B-2 (Roxbury) responded to a call for two people having sex in a park in the area of Massachusetts Avenue and Shirley Street. "

Made the news yesterday.

--LinkRemoved--
MAN that's early.

bfaiken

New

Post by bfaiken » Fri May 06, 2011 11:36 am

bdubs wrote:
ahduth wrote: Maybe just say, my boyfriend and I were cited for blah blah blah. They'll get the picture.
Agreed, but I would add a location and if possible use the word secluded.
I don't know if I'd do that. You're starting to toe the line of justifying what you did, and that's not what they want to hear. They want to know you accept responsibility, have learned from your mistake, and are ready to move on without doing it again.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri May 06, 2011 11:42 am

gmreplay wrote:
throwawayaccount wrote:
gmreplay wrote:Are you sure you're law school material?
I forgot I had to be boring to go to law school, efffff

I'll look into getting it knocked down. I can't really afford a lawyer at the moment but this seems like something where if your represent yourself they might just laugh and give you a slap on the wrist.

I really don't want to be a sex offender :(
Just not an idiot.
ROFL at the assumptions here. People get away with this all the time. It's reasonable to assume you can pull it off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Fri May 06, 2011 11:50 am

FWIW. An older person's perspective here: If OP is serious, and she is saying that she had sex with her boyfriend in a public park in the afternoon, it shouldn't be taken lightly. To me it seems to show a pretty high level of disrespect for others and could very well be deemed antisocial behavior. Consider that if a police officer discovered the OP, she was not well concealed, and it could very well be that others noticed the OP, including possibly young children.

I realize the OP is probably a flame, but if not this really is something that could negatively impact a law school application in my opinion.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri May 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:FWIW. An older person's perspective here: If OP is serious, and she is saying that she had sex with her boyfriend in a public park in the afternoon, it shouldn't be taken lightly. To me it seems to show a pretty high level of disrespect for others and could very well be deemed antisocial behavior. Consider that if a police officer discovered the OP, she was not well concealed, and it could very well be that others noticed the OP, including possibly young children.

I realize the OP is probably a flame, but if not this really is something that could negatively impact a law school application in my opinion.
Whatever. The school only cares if it's going to impact the candidate's ability to pass the bar. Misdemeanors that don't involve fraud or violence don't really rise to the level of a C&F ding.

Just disclose and don't worry about it.

gmreplay

Bronze

Post by gmreplay » Fri May 06, 2011 12:40 pm

upfish wrote:
gmreplay wrote:
throwawayaccount wrote:
I forgot I had to be boring to go to law school, efffff

I'll look into getting it knocked down. I can't really afford a lawyer at the moment but this seems like something where if your represent yourself they might just laugh and give you a slap on the wrist.

I really don't want to be a sex offender :(
Just not an idiot.
ROFL at the assumptions here. People get away with this all the time. It's reasonable to assume you can pull it off.
You could probably get away with petty theft too. It still makes you an ass to attempt it. Go screw in your room. The rest of us have no interest in seeing your skanky ass getting down in the public park.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri May 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:FWIW. An older person's perspective here: If OP is serious, and she is saying that she had sex with her boyfriend in a public park in the afternoon, it shouldn't be taken lightly. To me it seems to show a pretty high level of disrespect for others and could very well be deemed antisocial behavior. Consider that if a police officer discovered the OP, she was not well concealed, and it could very well be that others noticed the OP, including possibly young children.

Please remove the stick from your ass...
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Fri May 06, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri May 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

Just not in a public park.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri May 06, 2011 12:46 pm

geoduck wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Just not in a public park.
Made me LOL

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Fri May 06, 2011 12:53 pm

I would just say what was suggested with the inclusion of either "my boyfriend and I" or "my significant other and I" were cited for blah blah.

Makes it pretty obvious what you were doing. You may still have to explain more, but it should be ok.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri May 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Disclosure Addendum

On Cinco de Mayo, 2011, my boyfriend and I were enjoying an isolated section of our tax-supported public park when we were happened upon by an officer of the law. Though I would normally welcome the presence of one of our brave public servants protecting our shared nature preserve, I was dismayed to find that this particular officer took umbrage with the way we were choosing to make use of the park. Even after I attempted to explain to the officer that we were simply staging a reenactment of an ancient Native American mating ritual with a historic precedent of acceptance far exceeding the implementation of Common Law on this great continent, she was insistent that we halt our spiritual unification at once.

Because of this, it is my duty to disclose to you that I have been charged with the Class A misdemeanor of indecent exposure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:14 pm

You know, I think you should take this seriously. I was curious and it seems that in several states a public indecency conviction means you have to register as a sex offender. Because of that additional penalty this public indecency charge can be much more serious matter than other misdemeanors. It might seem like a joke but the law may not treat this offense casually. I would definitely not assume that a judge will find this amusing.

If you have done this before, in some state they can even consider sending you for counseling for exhibitionism or something. ( Also, it may affect your ability to work as a volunteer around children. )

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:21 pm

"Hide his you know what"

No, I really do not know.

DamnLSAT

Bronze

Post by DamnLSAT » Fri May 06, 2011 1:35 pm

I'm pretty sure I've heard of people having to register as a sex offender for urinating in public, so I'm pretty sure a roll in the hay (or grass) would be treated about the same.

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:"Hide his you know what"

this tripped me up, too...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri May 06, 2011 1:53 pm

I'm guessing the cop got hard from seeing them doing it.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri May 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Seriously? Who hasn't had sex in public a couple of times?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri May 06, 2011 1:54 pm

ilovesf wrote:

I'm guessing the cop got hard from seeing them doing it.
This is correct. The secret word is "erection".

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Fri May 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Aqualibrium wrote: Please remove the stick from your ass...
As one ages they tend to become less egocentric and more empathetic of others. This shift in personality naturally makes one more aware of their community and society, and thus more mindful of the laws of that society (assuming they are just).

I suspect some might not see the world in those terms (yet). In fact, years ago I might have found the OP's scenario humorous and trivial too, but I've changed, and I don't think I'm now anymore uptight than anyone else my age. Which, by the way, is probably closer to the age of the typical adcom member.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri May 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
As one ages they tend to become less egocentric and more empathetic of others. This shift in personality naturally makes one more aware of their community and society, and thus more mindful of the laws of that society (assuming they are just).

I suspect some might not see the world in those terms (yet). In fact, years ago I might have found the OP's scenario humorous and trivial too, but I've changed, and I don't think I'm now anymore uptight than anyone else my age. Which, by the way, is probably closer to the age of the typical adcom member.
Now we know who doesn't have a ticket to Atlas Shrugged tonight.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Fri May 06, 2011 1:59 pm

that's what cars are for...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri May 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:

you have a very ironic username

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Fri May 06, 2011 2:05 pm

geoduck wrote: Now we know who doesn't have a ticket to Atlas Shrugged tonight.
This made me laugh. I have no idea what Ayn Rand would have to say about this case. Likewise, certainly if OP were a nihilist, then my view point would be irrelevant. Maybe that could work as a defense?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”