Soo... how do I disclose getting a public indecency ticket? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
throwawayaccount

New

Soo... how do I disclose getting a public indecency ticket?

Post by throwawayaccount » Sun May 01, 2011 12:17 am

This is a throw away account.

Long story short, my boyfriend and I got caught doing it in a public park this afternoon (it was isolated!). This happened once before in high school but it was a male cop and I think he just wanted to get away and hide his you know what so we got off penalty free. This time, however, we got the dreaded ladycop.

We both got written up for public indecency which I'm pretty sure is a Class A misdemeanor. We're not looking at any jail time, just a fine and maybe some community service.

Question is, how do I disclose this? Should I write an addendum? This will be fresh on my record come law school apps next cycle so there's really no saying "I was young and horny" and saying just the latter doesn't sound like the best idea. I don't have anything else on my record save some traffic tickets.

Flame and tease away, but some good advice would be awesome as well.

scammedhard

Silver

Re: Soo... how do I disclose getting a public indecency ticket?

Post by scammedhard » Sun May 01, 2011 12:23 am

I think you need to write a FULL DESCRIPTION of what happened. Post it, and we'd be happy to take a lot at it!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun May 01, 2011 12:33 am

throwawayaccount wrote:This is a throw away account.

Long story short, my boyfriend and I got caught doing it in a public park this afternoon (it was isolated!). This happened once before in high school but it was a male cop and I think he just wanted to get away and hide his you know what so we got off penalty free. This time, however, we got the dreaded ladycop.

We both got written up for public indecency which I'm pretty sure is a Class A misdemeanor. We're not looking at any jail time, just a fine and maybe some community service.

Question is, how do I disclose this? Should I write an addendum? This will be fresh on my record come law school apps next cycle so there's really no saying "I was young and horny" and saying just the latter doesn't sound like the best idea. I don't have anything else on my record save some traffic tickets.

Just be direct and simple.

"On April 30th, 2011, I received a Class A misdemeanor for public indecency. As it was a first offense, I did community service and cleared it from my record [or whatever happens]. If necessary, I can provide more information."

throwawayaccount

New

Post by throwawayaccount » Sun May 01, 2011 12:37 am

Knock wrote:

"On April 30th, 2011, I received a Class A misdemeanor for public indecency. As it was a first offense, I did community service and cleared it from my record [or whatever happens]. If necessary, I can provide more information."
Sweet thanks! I was afraid I'd have to get into some awkward explaining and I just wasn't looking forward to that.

It would be great if they didn't know what the cause of the ticket was, it seems a lot better to get caught flashing during Mardi Gras or something than to get caught doing it on city property.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun May 01, 2011 12:39 am

throwawayaccount wrote:
Knock wrote:

Sweet thanks! I was afraid I'd have to get into some awkward explaining and I just wasn't looking forward to that.

It would be great if they didn't know what the cause of the ticket was, it seems a lot better to get caught flashing during Mardi Gras or something than to get caught doing it on city property.
Yeah, i'm pretty sure you won't have to go into great detail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:49 am

as long as it was missionary its probably acceptable.

blazinswordofjustice

New

Post by blazinswordofjustice » Tue May 03, 2011 7:38 pm

dkt4 wrote:as long as it was missionary its probably acceptable.
hahaha +1

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:45 pm

this is the best thing i've read on TLS in a long, long time. props to havign the balls to be doing it again after getting caught once already

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Maybe a good lawyer could help you get away with even less than a class A misdemeanor?
I think it is worth a try, even if you do have to disclose it, to get this charge knocked down as low as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue May 03, 2011 8:09 pm

I struggle to see how getting caught fraternizing in a secluded but public area would greatly affect your cycle and C&F. It certainly isn't a crime of deceit so it doesn't indicate that you would be apt to take liberties with client assets or the truth. They might require you to keep the door open when you're in your office though...

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue May 03, 2011 8:18 pm

pics or it didn't happen

gmreplay

Bronze

Post by gmreplay » Tue May 03, 2011 11:56 pm

Are you sure you're law school material?

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Wed May 04, 2011 12:00 am

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get this knocked down to something less.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:03 am

See if you can get the charge dropped or plead to something lesser. In my state public indecency gets you put on the sex offender list (the lowest classification of it but still).

throwawayaccount

New

Post by throwawayaccount » Wed May 04, 2011 12:16 am

gmreplay wrote:Are you sure you're law school material?
I forgot I had to be boring to go to law school, efffff

I'll look into getting it knocked down. I can't really afford a lawyer at the moment but this seems like something where if your represent yourself they might just laugh and give you a slap on the wrist.

I really don't want to be a sex offender :(

throwawayaccount

New

Post by throwawayaccount » Wed May 04, 2011 12:17 am

blazinswordofjustice wrote:
hahaha +1
Missionary outside sounds as pleasant as sex on the beach.

There's really only one suitable position for the outdoors.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed May 04, 2011 12:31 am

throwawayaccount wrote:
hahaha +1

Pray tell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Wed May 04, 2011 12:38 am

Contact NOW and tell them that you were protesting the inequality of topless laws between men and women. Ask them to represent you.

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Wed May 04, 2011 12:40 am

Video addendum. It's the only way...

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Wed May 04, 2011 12:41 am

throwawayaccount wrote:
hahaha +1

+1

gmreplay

Bronze

Post by gmreplay » Fri May 06, 2011 11:20 am

throwawayaccount wrote:

I'll look into getting it knocked down. I can't really afford a lawyer at the moment but this seems like something where if your represent yourself they might just laugh and give you a slap on the wrist.

Just not an idiot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Fri May 06, 2011 11:25 am

Giggity.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri May 06, 2011 11:27 am

throwawayaccount wrote:
Knock wrote:

This simple explanation, especially the "If necessary, I can provide more information" makes it sound as though you were flashing school children. I would add a bit more detail, otherwise the adcomm's minds will run wild. Find a PC way to say you were doing one of the least offensive acts of public indecency.

If you were the chick who got banged on the roof of the USC building don't describe that, stick with the nebulous suggestion.

bfaiken

New

Post by bfaiken » Fri May 06, 2011 11:28 am

throwawayaccount wrote:

You didn't commit a sex crime, so you're not in danger of being a sex offender. As others are saying, you should pay the $ and get a lawyer. I would have to assume a PBJ is entirely possible if this was a first offense and you have an otherwise clean record.

If you do end up having to report, follow knock's advice. Be straightforward and completely honest. The worst thing you can do is deny culpability or lie.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri May 06, 2011 11:30 am

bdubs wrote:
throwawayaccount wrote:
Knock wrote:

This simple explanation, especially the "If necessary, I can provide more information" makes it sound as though you were flashing school children. I would add a bit more detail, otherwise the adcomm's minds will run wild. Find a PC way to say you were doing one of the least offensive acts of public indecency.

If you were the chick who got banged on the roof of the USC building don't describe that, stick with the nebulous suggestion.
Maybe just say, my boyfriend and I were cited for blah blah blah. They'll get the picture.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”