Minority Status?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DoubleChecks

Re: Minority Status?

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun May 01, 2011 9:45 pm

dkt4 wrote:i wouldn't go so far as to call this immoral, but its pretty lame to suddenly want to claim your URM status when you stand to benefit from it. without question, OP has the right to claim AA -- but having the right to do something doesn't mean you necessarily should.

also, there's a somewhat ridiculous notion surfacing in some of these posts that there is some definitive, common URM experience...which is pretty much bullshit.

OP - do whatever you want, its your decision.

yeah ty, that was what i was kind of getting at. just because someone hasnt had to deal with cultural stigma associated with a minority group doesnt mean they cant identify with them or even put it down on LSAC.

that isnt even necessarily the reason why AA was created (mind you, it could be, but it could just be a part, diversity may be another -- etc., we dont know, and up to how colleges want to treat it)

AppsAbound

Postby AppsAbound » Sun May 01, 2011 10:05 pm

There is no minimum skin tone, required hair texture, or any kind of uniform life experience necessary to be AA. But it's certainly deceptive if not a day in your life before now if someone asked you what race/ethnicity you were, and you never answer that you were AA, it's not exactly forthcoming to claim it on paper now. I know several people who've tried to "game" the system like this and even if there isn't an AA experience, if you don't identify or associate with, I don't know how you can claim to be contributing to the experience.

Be whatever you want to be, but if your in person answer is different than your law school app, it's without a doubt dishonest.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun May 01, 2011 10:14 pm

AppsAbound wrote:There is no minimum skin tone, required hair texture, or any kind of uniform life experience necessary to be AA. But it's certainly deceptive if not a day in your life before now if someone asked you what race/ethnicity you were, and you never answer that you were AA, it's not exactly forthcoming to claim it on paper now. I know several people who've tried to "game" the system like this and even if there isn't an AA experience, if you don't identify or associate with, I don't know how you can claim to be contributing to the experience.

Be whatever you want to be, but if your in person answer is different than your law school app, it's without a doubt dishonest.

I don't think I could agree anymore.

TITCR. /thread.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:26 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
AppsAbound wrote:There is no minimum skin tone, required hair texture, or any kind of uniform life experience necessary to be AA. But it's certainly deceptive if not a day in your life before now if someone asked you what race/ethnicity you were, and you never answer that you were AA, it's not exactly forthcoming to claim it on paper now. I know several people who've tried to "game" the system like this and even if there isn't an AA experience, if you don't identify or associate with, I don't know how you can claim to be contributing to the experience.

TITCR. /thread.

+1

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon May 02, 2011 4:16 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

TITCR. /thread.

+180

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”