Army JAG lawyer route?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BobbyDigital

Army JAG lawyer route?

Postby BobbyDigital » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Anyone considering this path?

Given the shitty job market, I'm thinking about JAG as a plan B once I graduate. The debt payoff, and immediate work experience is appealing. Of course, there's a big price to pay and lots of uncertainty that comes with signing your life away for 7+ years, and unless I consider it as a full on career, I'm not sure it's worth taking the plunge for the benefits.

If anyone has spoken to a recruiter or knows anyone who has gone this route, I'd be interested to hear about it.

mpj_3050

Re: Army JAG lawyer route?

Postby mpj_3050 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:39 pm

JAG is going to be pretty competitive right now. Also, you still have to make it through the service's officer candidate school.

You should apply as soon as you can because there are boards and such that take quite a bit of time should you get selected.

The military is a huge commitment and there is a reason why you hear many, many people bitch during and after their time.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:44 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:Anyone considering this path?

Given the shitty job market, I'm thinking about JAG as a plan B once I graduate. The debt payoff, and immediate work experience is appealing. Of course, there's a big price to pay and lots of uncertainty that comes with signing your life away for 7+ years, and unless I consider it as a full on career, I'm not sure it's worth taking the plunge for the benefits.

If anyone has spoken to a recruiter or knows anyone who has gone this route, I'd be interested to hear about it.

It's really only a 4 year commitment. Check out the massive military law thread for great info.

blink

Postby blink » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:50 pm

sorry buddy, but JAG isn't a backup option. You have to have excellent grades among other things to be selected. Search Military Law for tons of info.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:05 pm

Does anyone know about exit options from JAG? Suppose I want to become a USAA and use PSLF to take care of my debt, is going LS to jag to USAA a realistic career path (assuming doing well in LS)?

adelon

Postby adelon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Even in a good economy it's difficult to back into a JAG job. These days? No way. They're not hard up for people, so they will want to see that you really want to be in the military, not just that you didn't find a good enough job in the civilian sector.

mpj_3050 wrote:JAG is going to be pretty competitive right now. Also, you still have to make it through the service's officer candidate school.

Only in the Marines, IIRC. USCG, USAF, and Navy send you to the easy 5-week officer training. I believe it is the same in the Army. I think it has to be, since going to BCT and OCS is both entirely unnecessary and not at all worth it for prospective JAGS.

BobbyDigital

Postby BobbyDigital » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Just found the military law thread with all my answers, thanks!

I should've mentioned that I'm prior service and it seems as though my odds of getting selected by a JAG corps are probably better than civilian prospects at the moment. No doubt JAG will require excellent grades--what employer doesn't right now?

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Considered it. Realized I care far too much for my personal freedom to sign myself over to the military for several years.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”