do law schools look at high school grades (i.e GCSE/A LEVEL)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justwondering123

do law schools look at high school grades (i.e GCSE/A LEVEL)

Postby justwondering123 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:38 am

i was told that the only academic things that get taken into account would be
undergraduate GPA
LSAT

but on northwestern's applications they ask you to submit a resume, which if doing the uk way would mean that you would have to put down high school grades, i would like to think (even though its been a year) that i have greatly improved form high school to now. so surely by you having HS grades on it they will look at it no?
is it a weighting factor?

bhan87

Re: do law schools look at high school grades (i.e GCSE/A LEVEL)

Postby bhan87 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:40 am

No, unless they are classes you took at a community college on the side. You don't need to list your HS GPA

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:42 am

In a word...NO!!!!

bfaiken

Postby bfaiken » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:44 am

justwondering123 wrote:i was told that the only academic things that get taken into account would be
undergraduate GPA
LSAT

but on northwestern's applications they ask you to submit a resume, which if doing the uk way would mean that you would have to put down high school grades, i would like to think (even though its been a year) that i have greatly improved form high school to now. so surely by you having HS grades on it they will look at it no?

I went to one of the best high schools on the East Coast, and I don't even list it on my resume, much less my HS GPA. It's totally, completely irrelevant.

justwondering123

Postby justwondering123 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:48 am

bfaiken wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:i was told that the only academic things that get taken into account would be
undergraduate GPA
LSAT

I went to one of the best high schools on the East Coast, and I don't even list it on my resume, much less my HS GPA. It's totally, completely irrelevant.

ahh see in the uk we list all our education from the age of 16 when we do our first exams. so do you think as an international applicant i should do it the american way, and not list any high school grades?

joeljohnson

Postby joeljohnson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:21 am

bhan87 wrote:No, unless they are classes you took at a community college on the side. You don't need to list your HS GPA

I took community college classes[ one A, one B] on the side but neither took them for dual credit nor transferred them to my undergrad. These will not count will they?

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:27 am

joeljohnson wrote:
bhan87 wrote:No, unless they are classes you took at a community college on the side. You don't need to list your HS GPA

I took community college classes[ one A, one B] on the side but neither took them for dual credit nor transferred them to my undergrad. These will not count will they?

Those WILL count. Even if you took them for fun and they fulfilled no requirements, all CC classes before your first college degree count

bfaiken

Postby bfaiken » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:28 am

justwondering123 wrote:
bfaiken wrote:
undergraduate GPA
LSAT

ahh see in the uk we list all our education from the age of 16 when we do our first exams. so do you think as an international applicant i should do it the american way, and not list any high school grades?

I'm not qualified to answer this question. My guess is you should do it the American way and just ditch your HS grades. But this seems like a question that should be geared toward a college administrator. Is there someone from your university (career services, law advisor, etc) who you can e-mail? If not the other option is to find a thread on TLS with an admissions staffer answering questions (it happens from time to time). Or create a new thread with a more aptly named title (UK Students - Did you include your HS grades?). Again, best guess is you can just ditch them, but I'd check with someone who knows for sure.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:35 pm

justwondering123 wrote:...on northwestern's applications they ask you to submit a resume, which if doing the uk way would mean that you would have to put down high school grades...

You yourself recognize that this is the British way of doing things. Why would a US university require that you format your CV using the conventions and practices of another country?

Also, there is a very good chance they wouldn't know what O levels and A levels are, but even if they did, they wouldn't be in a position to evaluate them.

joeljohnson

Postby joeljohnson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:11 pm

bhan87 wrote:
joeljohnson wrote:

Those WILL count. Even if you took them for fun and they fulfilled no requirements, all CC classes before your first college degree count

But if I've never done anything with them how will LSAC know about them? Do they do some sort of search?

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:49 pm

joeljohnson wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
joeljohnson wrote:

But if I've never done anything with them how will LSAC know about them? Do they do some sort of search?

It's mandatory to submit all your grades. If you're considering not reporting your CC grades, DON'T. An extra B won't hurt you that much, and you really don't want to risk having your offers rescinded, or worse, being blacklisted for failing the C+F requirement for the bar.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”