What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justwondering123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:46 am

What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby justwondering123 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:36 am

i was a prefect at both schools
on debate team
swimming team
school newspaper
duke of Edinburgh award bronze, silver (wondering if i should do gold)
community service
working at youth centre etc
currently filing papers to found the student travelling society in which i will be co president

im just finishing up in my first year of under-grad are these good enough? i have two years left, one year before applying to should i just go more in-depth with these ones or add some new ones?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:50 am

Extracurriculars don't matter too much in law school admissions. 90-95% of it depends on your LSAT+GPA.

But Northwestern practically requires post graduate work experience. So if you want northwestern, you will need to get a full time job after law school for a year or two before going. This isn't true for it's peer schools though.

And I assure you every question you have from here on out can be solved by this

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13913
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Those extracurriculars are fine. However, unless you have absolutely spectacular numbers, Northwestern will want to see at least a year or two of full-time work experience after undergrad.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue May 03, 2011 3:22 pm

From my understanding, Northwestern likes to see lots of extra circulars, such as captaining your ultimate frisbee team, writing a novel (or at least a couple of chapters), forming a fraternity, etc.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby glitter178 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:23 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:From my understanding, Northwestern likes to see lots of extra circulars, such as captaining your ultimate frisbee team, writing a novel (or at least a couple of chapters), forming a fraternity, etc.


damn. beat me to it.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue May 03, 2011 3:23 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:From my understanding, Northwestern likes to see lots of extra circulars, such as captaining your ultimate frisbee team, writing a novel (or at least a couple of chapters), forming a fraternity, etc.

taxguyno

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:24 pm

Oh dear, this guy again. Grow up and do you own damn research.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154528

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue May 03, 2011 3:25 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:From my understanding, Northwestern likes to see lots of extra circulars, such as captaining your ultimate frisbee team, writing a novel (or at least a couple of chapters), forming a fraternity, etc.

taxguyno


I'm launching a law school admissions consultancy, specializing in taxguysian advice.

User avatar
Montevillian
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby Montevillian » Tue May 03, 2011 3:26 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:From my understanding, Northwestern likes to see lots of extra circulars, such as captaining your ultimate frisbee team, writing a novel (or at least a couple of chapters), forming a fraternity, etc.


Hahaha, that's mean.

But seriously, if you don't want to wait a couple of years after undergrad to get job experience, it's my understanding that Northwestern will accept any professional work experience, even if you did it during undergrad, as long as you worked for a year or two. They're really trying to make work experience mandatory for admission.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby bk1 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:27 pm

dpk711 wrote:Oh dear, this guy again. Grow up and do you own damn research.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby soj » Tue May 03, 2011 3:28 pm

lol, how did i know it was going to be justwondering again? :lol:

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 03, 2011 3:31 pm

justwondering123 wrote:i was a prefect at both schools
on debate team
swimming team
school newspaper
duke of Edinburgh award bronze, silver (wondering if i should do gold)
community service
working at youth centre etc
currently filing papers to found the student travelling society in which i will be co president

im just finishing up in my first year of under-grad are these good enough? i have two years left, one year before applying to should i just go more in-depth with these ones or add some new ones?


After perusing your last thread, I am inevitably led to one of three conclusions:

1) You are an unfunny troll;
2) You are 8 years old; or
3) You are a lazy sloth.

I think NU might not be right for you.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:32 pm

bjsesq wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:i was a prefect at both schools
on debate team
swimming team
school newspaper
duke of Edinburgh award bronze, silver (wondering if i should do gold)
community service
working at youth centre etc
currently filing papers to found the student travelling society in which i will be co president

im just finishing up in my first year of under-grad are these good enough? i have two years left, one year before applying to should i just go more in-depth with these ones or add some new ones?


After perusing your last thread, I am inevitably led to one of three conclusions:

1) You are an unfunny troll;
2) You are 8 years old; or
3) You are a lazy sloth.

I think NU might not be right for you.


Two of those three scream NW.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: What extra circulars are sufficient for Northwestern?

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:i was a prefect at both schools
on debate team
swimming team
school newspaper
duke of Edinburgh award bronze, silver (wondering if i should do gold)
community service
working at youth centre etc
currently filing papers to found the student travelling society in which i will be co president

im just finishing up in my first year of under-grad are these good enough? i have two years left, one year before applying to should i just go more in-depth with these ones or add some new ones?


After perusing your last thread, I am inevitably led to one of three conclusions:

1) You are an unfunny troll;
2) You are 8 years old; or
3) You are a lazy sloth.

I think NU might not be right for you.


Two of those three scream NW.

Funnier than he is.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zcjthb6 and 2 guests