legacy boost?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tiniestdancer7

legacy boost?

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:27 pm

sorry for the newb question but if both of your parents went to a school (it wasn't for law school though) would that provide any bit of a boost? i don't think i inherited my parents' intelligence genes :(
Last edited by tiniestdancer7 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Re: legacy boost?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 pm

We had this discussion last week:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=153183

tiniestdancer7

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:36 pm

ahh gotcha well thank ya. i was looking more for situations where maybe you weren't exactly qualified anyway lol

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:46 pm

The consensus view seems to be that being a legacy will give you either a very small boost or no boost at all. Montauk thinks that it is unlikely to give you any boost unless your parents went to law school at the same university, and even then it won't be much. Though, if your parents donated a large amount of money to the school, you might be in luck.

tiniestdancer7

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 pm

ohh thanks! guess it won't help me too much unless that's where all my parent's money is secretly going, instead of to me!

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sat May 07, 2011 8:11 pm

tiniestdancer7 wrote:ahh gotcha well thank ya. i was looking more for situations where maybe you weren't exactly qualified anyway lol

I don't think legacy should have any bearing at all. If you're not qualified, you shouldn't get in.

Maleficient

Postby Maleficient » Sat May 07, 2011 8:19 pm

If an extremely expensive building is named after an immediate family member, I'd say you have a decent shot.

Otherwise eh. No one cares where daddy went to ug.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat May 07, 2011 8:23 pm

mrtoren wrote:
tiniestdancer7 wrote:ahh gotcha well thank ya. i was looking more for situations where maybe you weren't exactly qualified anyway lol

I don't think legacy should have any bearing at all. If you're not qualified, you shouldn't get in.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sat May 07, 2011 8:35 pm

MrKappus wrote:
mrtoren wrote:

Let me re-phrase that for you. THE EDUCATION SYSTEM doesn't think legacy should have any bearing at all. Therefore, they have stripped it of any substantial influence. Is that better for you princess?

tiniestdancer7

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:40 pm

I was just curious, geeze.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat May 07, 2011 8:41 pm

mrtoren wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
mrtoren wrote:

Let me re-phrase that for you. THE EDUCATION SYSTEM doesn't think legacy should have any bearing at all. Therefore, they have stripped it of any substantial influence. Is that better for you princess?

Say what you mean, mean what you say. And in your case, what you're saying's dumb and wrong. Plenty of schools in THE EDUCATION SYSTEM give legacies a boost, but it's less common for grad school.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sat May 07, 2011 9:26 pm

MrKappus wrote:Say what you mean, mean what you say. And in your case, what you're saying's dumb and wrong. Plenty of schools in THE EDUCATION SYSTEM give legacies a boost, but it's less common for grad school.

They actually don't. It may be a consideration for major donors and celebrities, but the average legacy has little boost now days. Read the book Bobo's in Paradise by David Brooks. Part of it chronicles the transition from the legacy system to a meritocracy, while the main part discusses the rise of the upper middle class "educated elite." Its a good read.

tiniestdancer7

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:28 pm

nvm
Last edited by tiniestdancer7 on Sat May 07, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maleficient

Postby Maleficient » Sat May 07, 2011 9:29 pm

tiniestdancer7 wrote:I don't think it was nice calling me a princess btw

You should work on your reading comprehension.

tiniestdancer7

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Well that would explain my low scores

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat May 07, 2011 9:32 pm

mrtoren wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Say what you mean, mean what you say. And in your case, what you're saying's dumb and wrong. Plenty of schools in THE EDUCATION SYSTEM give legacies a boost, but it's less common for grad school.

They actually don't. It may be a consideration for major donors and celebrities, but the average legacy has little boost now days. Read the book Bobo's in Paradise by David Brooks. Part of it chronicles the transition from the legacy system to a meritocracy, while the main part discusses the rise of the upper middle class "educated elite." Its a good read.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Industry ... 882&page=1

At 40 percent, Princeton's legacy acceptance rate is more than four times higher than the rate of its general applicant pool. A decade ago, the contrast between Princeton's legacy and overall admission rates was less stark, albeit marginally so: The university admitted 40.2 percent of legacy applicants and 13.1 percent of applicants overall.

Dartmouth, which offered admission to 13.2 percent of its applicants this year, reported that its legacy acceptance rate was consistently 2 to 2½ times higher than that of its overall acceptance rate. As the college's general rate dropped over the years, its legacy rate did, too.

But the fact that more Dartmouth legacy applicants are being rejected doesn't mean that fewer get in; the college conceded that it accepted 164 children of alumni this year, the highest total in five years.

Admissions officials at Princeton and Dartmouth declined interviews.

Middlebury College in Vermont was unapologetic about its legacy acceptance rate, which it said remained steady at roughly 48 percent in recent years. The college's overall acceptance rate this year was 18 percent, also a record low.

tiniestdancer7

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:34 pm

It could just be children of smarter people are more likely to be accepted in the first place

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sun May 08, 2011 2:23 am

I got a legacy boost- only to be waitlisted instead of rejected. My dad never gave them a penny.

tyro

Postby tyro » Sun May 08, 2011 2:27 am

mrtoren wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
mrtoren wrote:

That was kinda mean. Tbh pumkin you don't wana post on these boards unless you have a sooper unique question; the sharks on here will bite!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”