LOR addressing my lower-than-ideal GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AntipodeanPhil

Re: LOR addressing my lower-than-ideal GPA

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 pm

IronSkadden wrote:With regard to how prof phrased the GPA passage, he told me he may have gotten carried away praising me. To me this indicates his phrasing approximated: "so-so and could have had an even higher GPA if they weren't so committed to X Y and X outside of the classroom".

That sounds much better, as in perhaps-we-made-a-big-deal-over-nothing better.

IronSkadden wrote:But I am concerned by how unfamiliar he is with law school admissions. He believes the personal statement matters a lot and that adcomms look at the whole person, a la undergrad or b-school.

Does this impact any of your opinions?

Don't be concerned by that - that makes him an ordinary professor. My wife worked part-time for a university helping students with their application materials to graduate programs (editing PSs, et cetera) and she still believes that. People like to think that what they do matters.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:30 pm

scammedhard wrote:
IronSkadden wrote:Do you think my prof's addressing my GPA in this manner is good or bad? Will it answer the adcomms questions or will it highlight something I don't wish to highlight (the 3.58)?

I think that it makes no difference. You will be judged by your numbers irregardless of what anyone says about them.

This is not a real word. Not trying to be an ass, but that's a pet peeve! Sorry. :wink:

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:38 pm

scammedhard wrote:
IronSkadden wrote:Do you think my prof's addressing my GPA in this manner is good or bad? Will it answer the adcomms questions or will it highlight something I don't wish to highlight (the 3.58)?

I think that it makes no difference. You will be judged by your numbers irregardless of what anyone says about them.

This. LORs usually only have a marginal effect anyways.
And since when is a 3.58 GPA not good? Damn' TLS elitists.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
scammedhard wrote:

This is not a real word. Not trying to be an ass, but that's a pet peeve! Sorry. :wink:

—Usage note
Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:44 pm

scammedhard wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
scammedhard wrote:

—Usage note
Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

that website goes on to state the following:
"irregardless
an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express"

People use it, but it is incorrect.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:50 pm

I think you should get a copy of the letter and post it for us so we can tear it apart. :D

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:52 pm

Leira7905 wrote:that website goes on to state the following:
"irregardless
an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express"

People use it, but it is incorrect.

Word Origin & History

irregardless
an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing from at least 1870s (e.g. "Portsmouth Times," Portsmouth, Ohio, U.S.A., April 11, 1874: "We supported the six successful candidates for Council in the face of a strong opposition. We were led to do so because we believed every man of them would do his whole duty, irregardless of party, and the columns of this paper for one year has [sic] told what is needed."); probably a blend of irrespective and regardless . Perhaps inspired by the double negative used as an emphatic.

Excellent point. I admit defeat. Better to be corrected in TLS than in law school. Thank you...

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Leira7905 wrote:This is not a real word. Not trying to be an ass, but that's a pet peeve! Sorry. :wink:

Look at these definitions:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... regardless
1. irregardless
Used by people who ignorantly mean to say regardless. According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do. Of course everyone knows what you mean to say and only a pompous, rude asshole will correct you.

Wife: "Irregardless is not a word, dummy"
Husband: "Kiss my ass bitch! I'm still going to the strip club tonight!"

2. irregardless
A word used by uneducated people intending to sound intelligent. Often, the defendant will use this word in court in an attempt to impress the judge and jury. Educated people notice and those who use this word instantly identify themselves to educated people as being uneducated. Educated people rarely correct them because it helps educated people more easily identify them if they are well groomed.

Uh... yes your Honor.... Irregardless of the the evidence, I was not the young man in the security video.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:47 pm

scammedhard wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:This is not a real word. Not trying to be an ass, but that's a pet peeve! Sorry. :wink:

Look at these definitions:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... regardless
1. irregardless
Used by people who ignorantly mean to say regardless. According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do. Of course everyone knows what you mean to say and only a pompous, rude asshole will correct you.

Wife: "Irregardless is not a word, dummy"
Husband: "Kiss my ass bitch! I'm still going to the strip club tonight!"

2. irregardless
A word used by uneducated people intending to sound intelligent. Often, the defendant will use this word in court in an attempt to impress the judge and jury. Educated people notice and those who use this word instantly identify themselves to educated people as being uneducated. Educated people rarely correct them because it helps educated people more easily identify them if they are well groomed.

Uh... yes your Honor.... Irregardless of the the evidence, I was not the young man in the security video.

Yes, urban dictionary to the rescue. :lol:

zozin

Postby zozin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:11 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
BeaverHunter wrote:A 3.58 is an excellent GPA. No admissions committee would consider a note addressing this "deficiency". Everyone has interests outside of school, and most people work. I would think a note saying that you were less than fully committed to school would hurt before it helps.

LOL. This person is presumably trolling. Still, it's worth pointing out that if you're applying to places that consider a 3.58 an excellent GPA then this is really just a fuss over nothing. Of course, if you're applying to good schools, this matters. Even if they might not read the LOR, you don't want to take that chance.

ROFL @ you thinking 3.58 is isn't good enough for "good schools". If YLS comprises good schools for you, then we're all fucked.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:34 pm

zozin wrote:ROFL @ you thinking 3.58 is isn't good enough for "good schools". If YLS comprises good schools for you, then we're all fucked.

I didn't say it wasn't good enough. It is significantly below the GPA median at all of the T14, so the OP will have to make sure that the other aspects of his application - like his LORs - are above average if he wants to go to a T14 (which he does).

Of course, "good" is a judgment made relative to some standard, and we all have different standards, so I'm not going to try and get in a debate about what the good schools are. All I'm going to say is that I think the OP shares my standard.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:08 pm

zozin wrote:ROFL @ you thinking 3.58 is isn't good enough for "good schools". If YLS comprises good schools for you, then we're all fucked.

:roll: Not the point.

AntipodeanPhil wrote: I didn't say it wasn't good enough. It is significantly below the GPA median at all of the T14, so the OP will have to make sure that the other aspects of his application - like his LORs - are above average if he wants to go to a T14 (which he does).

This would be the point. OP wants T10, not T1.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:14 pm

DeeCee wrote:This would be the point. OP wants T10, not T1.

I disagree with the implication that "good schools" are only the T14. But isn't T10>T14 and therefore the GPA of OP is suboptimal for the T10?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:08 am

scammedhard wrote:
DeeCee wrote:This would be the point. OP wants T10, not T1.

I disagree with the implication that "good schools" are only the T14. But isn't T10>T14 and therefore the GPA of OP is suboptimal for the T10?

First, I never said that T14 schools were the only good schools. I simply said that zozin's comment about a 3.58 GPA wasn't making a point. I disagree with zozin, because I don't think a 3.58 GPA is that great, especially when OP is trying to get into the T10. FWIW, I think there are great schools outside of the T14- I won't be attending a T14, if you check out my 'tar.

The point I was making was that OP's GPA is relatively weak for T10, like you and AntipodeanPhil pointed out, and that to compensate OP will need to make sure all aspects of his/her's law application shine. This likely means making sure the LOR writer doesn't focus on GPA (OP's weak point) in the letter, but instead talks about other more positive aspects.
Last edited by DeeCee on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:13 am

Veyron wrote:
IronSkadden wrote:I'm closing in on a T10 LSAT score (curse you harder contemporary RC). I went to an Ivy for undergrad.

SUNY Ithaca?

It could have been Penn State.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”