Online Schooling Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
haus

Gold

Re: Online Schooling

Post by haus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:38 pm

wojo96 wrote: It does. If not, the masses would just enroll at the University of Phoenix for their 4.0.
"The masses" would not pull a 4.0 at Trump University.

DB1

New

Post by DB1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
DB1 wrote:How did you guys go about getting your LOR from professors that have never seen your face?
They have this thing called email . . .

Man, I bet you were up all night, working on that one.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:54 am

memphisbelle wrote:Sure, I could email them. I think what he was asking was how you go about getting good letters of recommendation from people that you've never met. While you have an academic relationship of sorts with them, it doesn't really help for substantive recommendations because all they can really say is that you turn your work in on time, you got an A in the class, and perhaps that you write well if you have completed papers or have had substantial correspondance with the professor.
That's all they can say about 80-90% of the people who sat in a classroom in front of them for twelve weeks as well (or didn't bother to come to class half the time anyway). It's also all that law schools are looking for in a recommendation. If it's a class where all the work is reading and writing (not lab, theater, speech, or something that can't be taught online anyway), then they have as much context to judge your work in an online section as in any regular class. If you did great work, they can say you did great work. In many cases, online sections are smaller than the regular ones at the same school, so the professor may remember your work better.

If you had a professor you interacted well with and got a good grade from, it's a good idea to ask for at least one academic recommendation, especially if you did something above and beyond in the class.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:58 am

wojo96 wrote:
memphisbelle wrote:Has anyone completed their degree via online schooling? Do you know if it impacts your chances of being accepted to law school?
It does. If not, the masses would just enroll at the University of Phoenix for their 4.0.
She already said she's not talking about U of Phoenix. If she just took online classes through a "real" university to finish her degree, then she'll have the same chances as anyone else coming from the same school, with the same GPA, even at the lower half T14 schools.

DB1

New

Post by DB1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
memphisbelle wrote:Sure, I could email them. I think what he was asking was how you go about getting good letters of recommendation from people that you've never met. While you have an academic relationship of sorts with them, it doesn't really help for substantive recommendations because all they can really say is that you turn your work in on time, you got an A in the class, and perhaps that you write well if you have completed papers or have had substantial correspondance with the professor.
That's all they can say about 80-90% of the people who sat in a classroom in front of them for twelve weeks as well (or didn't bother to come to class half the time anyway). It's also all that law schools are looking for in a recommendation. If it's a class where all the work is reading and writing (not lab, theater, speech, or something that can't be taught online anyway), then they have as much context to judge your work in an online section as in any regular class. If you did great work, they can say you did great work. In many cases, online sections are smaller than the regular ones at the same school, so the professor may remember your work better.

If you had a professor you interacted well with and got a good grade from, it's a good idea to ask for at least one academic recommendation, especially if you did something above and beyond in the class.

Very good point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:53 am

DB1 wrote:How did you guys go about getting your LOR from professors that have never seen your face?

Via email. They were both happy to do it. Later on I took one out for a beer when she came through town.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”