Random and dumb question about LOR....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Blahh_Blahh

Random and dumb question about LOR....

Postby Blahh_Blahh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Most people recommend you drop off a self-addressed stamped envelope and forms in your professor's office.

But if you are out of undergrad and can't exactly drive hours to give him/her these items, what are you supposed to do? I don't want the prof to have to address and stamp it himself/herself, because I think that would make it seem like more of an inconvenience.

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Random and dumb question about LOR....

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:50 pm

Mail them.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Blahh_Blahh wrote:Most people recommend you drop off a self-addressed stamped envelope and forms in your professor's office.

But if you are out of undergrad and can't exactly drive hours to give him/her these items, what are you supposed to do? I don't want the prof to have to address and stamp it himself/herself, because I think that would make it seem like more of an inconvenience.

Mail him/her a smaller envelope ready-to-go ?

Blahh_Blahh

Postby Blahh_Blahh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Ah, yes. I forgot about snail mail. Go ahead and judge me for being stupid. Idc.

Another probably dumb question: Is it ok for the LORs to be generic and just say something like "admission to your law school"? The profs don't have to tweak it to throw a shout-out to each law school to which the student is applying, do they?

I'm sure school-specific letters are ideal but sometimes that's not feasible.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Blahh_Blahh wrote:Ah, yes. I forgot about snail mail. Go ahead and judge me for being stupid. Idc.

Another probably dumb question: Is it ok for the LORs to be generic and just say something like "admission to your law school"? The profs don't have to tweak it to throw a shout-out to each law school to which the student is applying, do they?

I'm sure school-specific letters are ideal but sometimes that's not feasible.

I used the same EXACT letters for basically 20+ schools. If you are applying to a specific #1 school and the prof writing the LOR is an alumni or something, go for it. But in my opinion (99% of the time) you will be fine getting one "generic" letter and using it for several schools. The important part is that the letter is well-written and describes your work-ethic, professionalism, and personality (or things similar to those)

The point is to go beyond the LSAT/GPA and show the admissions committee that you have (at least) two or three professionals that can attest that you'll be a good law student.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”