UK DEGREE- US GPA FOR APPLICATION...PLEASE HELP Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justwondering123

New

UK DEGREE- US GPA FOR APPLICATION...PLEASE HELP

Post by justwondering123 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:51 am

basically i will be applying to law school soon for the advanced JD programme @ both duke and northwestern. basically i was wondering as i have to apply in the beginning of my third year, only my first and second year marks will be on my transcript and be taken into consideration right?

i was wondering with the following degree classifications for both years listed below what GPA would they equate to?

1st yr 2.1 + 2nd yr 1st= gpa of?

1st yr 2.2 + 2nd yr 1st= gpa of?

thanks guys :) much appreciated! :)

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: UK DEGREE- US GPA FOR APPLICATION...PLEASE HELP

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:44 am

Yes, only the grades that you have been assigned will be taken into consideration.

Since you have a foreign UG degree, LSAC won't assign you a GPA, nor will the schools be required to report one for you.

You will be assigned a superior/above average/average/below average ranking.

Based on the results reported by previous posters, it seems that, as a rough guideline:

1st = superior
2.1 = superior OR above average - depending on details we don't have enough information to be clear about.

There are different views on how the schools treat these rankings.

The only way to find out what ranking LSAC will give you is to send them your transcript and pay the CAS fee.

justwondering123

New

Post by justwondering123 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:08 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Yes, only the grades that you have been assigned will be taken into consideration.

Since you have a foreign UG degree, LSAC won't assign you a GPA, nor will the schools be required to report one for you.

You will be assigned a superior/above average/average/below average ranking.

Based on the results reported by previous posters, it seems that, as a rough guideline:

1st = superior
2.1 = superior OR above average - depending on details we don't have enough information to be clear about.

There are different views on how the schools treat these rankings.

The only way to find out what ranking LSAC will give you is to send them your transcript and pay the CAS fee.
so what to you think the 2 problems with both first year and second year marks will equate too? also i take it a 2.2 is- average?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:09 am

justwondering123 wrote:so what to you think the 2 problems with both first year and second year marks will equate too? also i take it a 2.2 is- average?
It would be easy to suppose 1st = superior, 2.1 = above average, and 2.2 = average, but results suggest the system used is more sophisticated. Most of the information I have comes from reports on this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=130045

There, someone reports that a friend of his with a 2.2 got 'above average.' I wouldn't want to hazard a guess as to what you will get.

justwondering123

New

Post by justwondering123 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:so what to you think the 2 problems with both first year and second year marks will equate too? also i take it a 2.2 is- average?
It would be easy to suppose 1st = superior, 2.1 = above average, and 2.2 = average, but results suggest the system used is more sophisticated. Most of the information I have comes from reports on this thread:

There, someone reports that a friend of his with a 2.2 got 'above average.' I wouldn't want to hazard a guess as to what you will get.
ohh cool i see thank you for answering. BTW, so you know what post/whereabouts the 2.2. bit is on that thread by any chance there is like 14 pages haha :)

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:41 pm

justwondering123 wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

ohh cool i see thank you for answering. BTW, so you know what post/whereabouts the 2.2. bit is on that thread by any chance there is like 14 pages haha :)
I think you're talking about me. I got a 2:2 degree but technically missed a 2:1 by one point (LSAC didn't know that though). I think they factored in the quality of my university and degree subject (i.e. rigor) when assigning the verbal rating. Otherwise, I can't really explain it, but I'm awfully thankful! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”