Article: How Law Schools Misrepresent Employment Prospects

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Article: How Law Schools Misrepresent Employment Prospects

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:53 pm

swc65 wrote:This really is scary. If this keeps up, it will eventually effect all law students, even the T14 or T6. If there are thousands of BC/BU etc grads looking for work, how long will it make sense to hire a CLS/HLS/NYU grad at 160K? Eventually firms/clients will stop paying for the name and just go after the cheapest candidate with satisfactory work.


Well, it's already affected the t14 and t6. As to your point that firms will say "Why pay this H grad X when I can pay a GW grad .5x?" I don't see it happening. People are always going to pay for quality (or maybe perceived quality) for things that have a lot of money riding on them.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Article: How Law Schools Misrepresent Employment Prospects

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 pm

scammedhard wrote:
romothesavior wrote:*These numbers are more or less pulled out of my ass, and are based on my perception of hiring in conjunction with the data in this article.

Duly noted.

:lol: I don't think they're that far off though. If we assume that 45-50% are getting these real lawyering jobs and that there is a sliding scale of sorts from the T14 on down (with some variations obviously), it stands to reason that most T20-30s are still going to wind up well over 50%, with most T1s above it as well. Someone has gotta balance out those T4s, amirite?

rose711 wrote:The T1 he studied in the article has a 45% rate of permanent full time jobs. What makes you think other T1's are better? (I'm not arguing, I really want to know.)

NLJ numbers are a pretty good indication. If schools are putting 1/4-1/3 of their classes into NLJ jobs and clerkships (even ITE), then they've gotta easily be clearing 50% employed as full-time, permanent lawyers. It's not like over half of those getting jobs from T1s are at NLJ jobs. The vast majority of people who become lawyers don't ever work at an NLJ firm.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Article: How Law Schools Misrepresent Employment Prospects

Postby scammedhard » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 pm

romothesavior wrote: :lol: I don't think they're that far off though. If we assume that 45-50% are getting these real lawyering jobs and that there is a sliding scale of sorts from the T14 on down (with some variations obviously), it stands to reason that most T20-30s are still going to wind up well over 50%, with most T1s above it as well. Someone has gotta balance out those T4s, amirite?

I agree with your analysis 100%. It's pretty bad out there, and I have been very pessimistic about this situation for a long time.
However, the fact that the message of "don't go to law school" has gone mainstream and prospective students finally seem to be listening is giving me a great deal of hope. I believe that we have reached bottom and the situation is not going to get any worse. And yes, it may take some time to get out of this hole, but hopefully we are at least moving in that direction.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Article: How Law Schools Misrepresent Employment Prospects

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:53 pm

scammedhard wrote:However, the fact that the message of "don't go to law school" has gone mainstream and prospective students finally seem to be listening is giving me a great deal of hope.


The message is getting out there. I've had a couple of lay people say to me "Law school? Why would you do that? Is anyone making money doing that now?" When I responded "Yeah you're right. It's probably not smart, but I am going to be at a top 10 school with a partial scholarship" they still seemed to think it was a foolish pursuit.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Article: How Law Schools Misrepresent Employment Prospects

Postby scammedhard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:18 am

Stringer Bell wrote:The message is getting out there. I've had a couple of lay people say to me "Law school? Why would you do that? Is anyone making money doing that now?" When I responded "Yeah you're right. It's probably not smart, but I am going to be at a top 10 school with a partial scholarship" they still seemed to think it was a foolish pursuit.

And that's the beauty of it... just like too many lemmings create an oversupply, too few and you get a shortage, and hopefully we can make decent profit if we survive.
Irregardless of how sudden the correction is, I really wish that the TTTs are decimated in the process, and that the leeches and cockroaches that run these diploma mills (most of whom have never actually practiced law) are forced to make an honest living in the real world.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hwwong and 5 guests