Who should I ask for my letters of recommendations?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
notaznguy

Who should I ask for my letters of recommendations?

Postby notaznguy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 pm

So most law schools I'm applying to require 2 (UCLA, USC, UC Davis, UC Hastings, Loyola Los Angeles, Pepperdine, UCI) with the exception of UC Irvine.

I already asked one of my professors, whom I've taken 3 classes with and knows me relatively well, for a rec. I don't know who to ask the other 2 from. I was thinking of getting one from one of my staff attorneys at the legal self-center I've been interning at for the past year. She really likes me and also knows me really well. As for the third one...well, I don't know whether I should ask a random professor or a pastor.

What do you guys think? Is it always that much better to have letters from professors? Is 1 sufficient?

bk1

Re: Who should I ask for my letters of recommendations?

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:59 pm

If the schools want 2 academic LoRs then you should get 2 academic LoRs.

If they only need 1 academic LoR then get one from the place where you are interning if you think it will sound better than from a prof who doesn't know you.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:20 pm

notaznguy wrote:So most law schools I'm applying to require 2 (UCLA, USC, UC Davis, UC Hastings, Loyola Los Angeles, Pepperdine, UCI) with the exception of UC Irvine.

I already asked one of my professors, whom I've taken 3 classes with and knows me relatively well, for a rec. I don't know who to ask the other 2 from. I was thinking of getting one from one of my staff attorneys at the legal self-center I've been interning at for the past year. She really likes me and also knows me really well. As for the third one...well, I don't know whether I should ask a random professor or a pastor.

What do you guys think? Is it always that much better to have letters from professors? Is 1 sufficient?

If I were you I would send the staff attorney's letter in addition to the 1 or 2 academic lors you get. If you are very confident that she will give you a great recommendation, it will only help your application. I sent two academic lors and one from a former employee that I knew would give me a well-detailed and positive letter.

Just my .02

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Sorry, I'm confused. Do you need three for UC Irvine? If not, go with the professor and the attorney. As far as the third, I can't imagine when a pastor's recommendation would ever be relevant, so I'd have to say random professor. But if no schools require three, go for the 2 best (prof who knows you and attorney) and leave it at that.

I sent three LORs and only one was from a professor. Didn't seem to harm me at all.

zonto

Postby zonto » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:59 pm

You can get multiple letters and then just assign specific ones to specific apps in your LSAC account depending on the schools' specific guidelines.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:40 am

I always advise people that a letter of rec from a non-academic source should be significantly better than one you could get from a second professor before you send the former. Especially if you haven't worked someplace for many years (5+), the law schools, as academic institutions, want to see academic LoRs.

If they're asking for (or allow you to submit) three, however, then I recommend going for two academic and one non-academic letters. The staff attorney sounds great for the non-academic one.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Sounds good to me. I think I'll ask my staff attorney for a letter of rec and from the professor I've taken 3 courses with. Only UC Irvine asks for 3 letters of rec, at least from the pool of schools I'm applying to...so yeah.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Wrong thread. my bad
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:43 pm

Profs, advisor, someone you worked for. If that someone is an attorney, even better.

acadec

Postby acadec » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 am

I know this has been posted a million times, but does anyone have the link to that list of application requirements by school? Thanks!

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:06 am

acadec wrote:I know this has been posted a million times, but does anyone have the link to that list of application requirements by school? Thanks!

+1

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:26 am

krasivaya wrote:
acadec wrote:I know this has been posted a million times, but does anyone have the link to that list of application requirements by school? Thanks!

+1

--LinkRemoved--

May be out of date.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”