Pre LS WE: Americorps vs. Current Job Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Pre LS WE: Americorps vs. Current Job

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:03 pm

I've been working for a solar company for about 3 months now (graduated at the end of last year). In UG, I did a LOT of work (~3 years) with a non-profit, and now my ties/friends in that group are offering me a job with Americorps (enviro education). I'm interested in pursuing PI work post-LS, so this option is very attractive to me, and I'm seriously considering leaving my current job come August for this one.

Positives to Americorps: I really like PI work, am really bored by my desk job now because they don't give me enough work to do, Americorps job doesn't start till August (so I could keep current job till then), shows commitment to PI work for the past 4-5 years.

Positives to staying with job: Showing commitment to this company, potential ability to return if I (god forbid) can't find a post-LS job, pays more, will have a LOR from them, establishing connections for the future.

My questions:
1) Does it reflect badly later on to potential employers that I didn't commit to one job and stick it out? For that matter, will it reflect badly on me to schools? (My current plan is ED to NU)
2) Is it bad form to ask my current job for a LOR when I might/will leave in August?
3) When should I notify my current job about this if I decide to take the position? Do you think they'd fire me/would I be burning bridges?
4) In your opinion, is it worth it to switch?

I'm REALLY interested in the Americorps option, as I know a LOT of the people in the program from UG and I know that I'd be constantly busy/doing work/having fun/working on an issue I care about. Buuut, I don't want to come off like a flight risk or burn any bridges/seem like an asshole. Am I overthinking this? :?
Last edited by crumpetsandtea on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Re: Pre-LS WE: should I take this offer?

Post by Knock » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:17 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I've been working for a company for about 3 months now (graduated at the end of last year). In UG, I did a LOT of work (~3 years) with a non-prof, and now my ties/friends in that group are offering me a job with Americorps. I'm interested in pursuing PI work post-LS, so this option is very attractive to me, and I'm seriously considering leaving my current job come August for this one.

Positives to Americorps: I really like PI work, am really bored by my desk job now because they don't give me any work to do, Americorps job doesn't start till August (so I could keep current job till then), shows commitment to PI work for the past 4-5 years.

Positives to staying with job: Showing commitment to this company, potential ability to return if I (god forbid) can't find a post-LS job, pays more, will have a LOR from them, establishing connections for the future.

My questions:
1) Does it reflect badly later on to potential employers that I didn't commit to one job and stick it out? For that matter, will it reflect badly on me to schools? (I'm ED-ing to NU btw)
2) Is it bad form to ask my current job for a LOR when I might/will leave in August?
3) Should I notify my current job about this if I decide to take the position? Do you think they'd fire me/would I be burning bridges?

I'm REALLY interested in the Americorps option, as I know a LOT of the people in the program from UG and I know that I'd be constantly busy/doing work/having fun/working on an issue I care about. Buuut, I don't want to come off like a flight risk or burn any bridges/seem like an asshole. Am I overthinking this? :?
I'd say go with what you're interested in. If you have good reasons for switching, I doubt it would be a problem. It probably doesn't look great that you switched jobs but I doubt it will hurt you, especially since this is like a one time thing.

As far as the LOR, I don't think it is bad form. I got a LOR from my boss during a 3 month summer internship, and you will be there for almost double that, so I think you're fine. I'd just get the LOR before you tell them you're leaving.

I don't think you'd burn bridges if you explain that it is something you are passionate about, and give them notice that you will be leaving. Just handle the situation tactfully and you will be fine :).

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: Pre-LS WE: should I take this offer?

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:59 pm

Knock wrote:I'd say go with what you're interested in. If you have good reasons for switching, I doubt it would be a problem. It probably doesn't look great that you switched jobs but I doubt it will hurt you, especially since this is like a one time thing.

As far as the LOR, I don't think it is bad form. I got a LOR from my boss during a 3 month summer internship, and you will be there for almost double that, so I think you're fine. I'd just get the LOR before you tell them you're leaving.

I don't think you'd burn bridges if you explain that it is something you are passionate about, and give them notice that you will be leaving. Just handle the situation tactfully and you will be fine :).
Thanksss :D I'm probably going to ask for the LOR sometime in June. What is an appropriate time to let them know I'm leaving? How much earlier? Blah, I wish I could have both jobs hahahah XD

Thanks for the advice though knock <3!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: Pre LS WE: Americorps vs. Current Job

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Bumping this for more opinions, specifically on whether it would look better to have a longer commitment to one job & develop those ties or to go back into PI work but have a fragmented work history with less developed ties from the company I work for now.

Also another thing to consider--with the job I have now, if I don't get into NU I can skip this cycle and continue working in the same job. With Americorps, I would have to find another job (I don't want to canvass over the summer, and I doubt that my current job would be like, 'oh yeah come on back!' :P)

Also: significant paycut with the Americorps job (like, half of what I'm making currently), but ~6k in grant money for LS XD

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:17 pm

What is the 6k from? From what I know the ed award is 4,725$. Also something very important that you need consider is AmeriCorps funding. My sister is a current Corps member with NCCC (I am an alum btw) and her job almost ended abruptly if the funding for AmeriCorps had not gone through. When you ususally sign your paperwork it has the stipulation that the position is only available with the budget passing... which is in danger ever year.. just something else to think about...

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:24 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Bumping this for more opinions, specifically on whether it would look better to have a longer commitment to one job & develop those ties or to go back into PI work but have a fragmented work history with less developed ties from the company I work for now.

Also another thing to consider--with the job I have now, if I don't get into NU I can skip this cycle and continue working in the same job. With Americorps, I would have to find another job (I don't want to canvass over the summer, and I doubt that my current job would be like, 'oh yeah come on back!' :P)

Also: significant paycut with the Americorps job (like, half of what I'm making currently), but ~6k in grant money for LS XD
Most VISTA positions allow you to renew for a second year, so you wouldnt be totally outta luck (assuming nothing happens to AmeriCorps funding) if you decided to wait a cycle

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”