LSAT timing question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bernaldiaz

LSAT timing question

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:59 am

Hello all.

I am currently a sophomore undergraduate who is set on going to law school. I study in the United States, but next year will be spending the academic year at Cambridge (UK).

This really screws up my LSAT schedule. I leave this fall on Sept. 28, so the 2011 Oct. LSAT is out of question. I don't feel comfortable studying for the LSAT at Cambridge as I don't think it would be possible to devote myself to the LSAT while at the same time getting good test scores at Cambridge, which rules out the February 2012 LSAT. I don't return back to the states until June 22, so I really can't take the June 2012 LSAT either.

Basically, this leaves me with the October 2012 LSAT and I would be applying to law school that fall. From what I've read, this does not bode well for my applications. Anyone see any other options? Has anyone else studying on the European calendar been able to find a way around this? I think the LSATs are offered in London, but I really would be hesitant to resort to that.

Thanks!

99.9luft

Re: LSAT timing question

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:40 am

You posted in the wrong forum.
Re your post - take the lsat in england or don't go straight to ls after ug.
Enjoy life now, you're just a sophomore.
Fin.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:50 am

It is entirely acceptable to take the October test and still have all your applications in quite early. I have no idea what you mean that taking the October test "doesn't bode well" for applications.

sheffieldjordan

Postby sheffieldjordan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:02 am

I am deployed to Afghanistan and am taking the LSAT in Paris June 7th 2011.

The LSAC offers the LSAT in almost every European country, including the UK.

Given that you will have academic obligations, I bet you could start studying in December 2011/January 2012 and be ready for the June 2012 LSAT, which you could take in London.

Or better yet, start studying now and sign up for the October 2011 LSAT in London.

It doesn't matter where you are, the LSAC is everywhere (except Afghanistan).
Last edited by sheffieldjordan on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:04 am

You could always take the test in June and take a year off, go do something cool and relax and get an even higher lsat score than you would have gotten in October.

WINNING.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:09 am

dakatz wrote:It is entirely acceptable to take the October test and still have all your applications in quite early. I have no idea what you mean that taking the October test "doesn't bode well" for applications.

I've been told that it is best to have taken the LSAT for the first time before October if you plan on applying that year. I assume this is because you invest time studying for the LSAT that you should have spent on your applications and also that without your LSAT score until so late in the process, it may be difficult to know exactly where you should be applying.

As seen from some of the other responses, clearly they also agree that it is a disadvantage to take the LSAT in October as well.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:11 am

99.9luft wrote:You posted in the wrong forum.
Re your post - take the lsat in england or don't go straight to ls after ug.
Enjoy life now, you're just a sophomore.
Fin.

I now see that there is a separate LSAT forum. Sorry, was my first post

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:00 am

Sandro wrote:You could always take the test in June and take a year off, go do something cool and relax and get an even higher lsat score than you would have gotten in October.

WINNING.

This is the best thing you could do. Even next October if you need it after June!

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:57 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
dakatz wrote:It is entirely acceptable to take the October test and still have all your applications in quite early. I have no idea what you mean that taking the October test "doesn't bode well" for applications.

I've been told that it is best to have taken the LSAT for the first time before October if you plan on applying that year. I assume this is because you invest time studying for the LSAT that you should have spent on your applications and also that without your LSAT score until so late in the process, it may be difficult to know exactly where you should be applying.

As seen from some of the other responses, clearly they also agree that it is a disadvantage to take the LSAT in October as well.

I took the LSAT in October and know many other applicants who did the same and did not have a terrible cycle by any means. You aren't going to be spending ALL your time on LSAT prep, so you still have time to work on the rest of your application. Plus, you'll have 3 weeks or so between when you take the test and when you get your score. That's when you should do all the polishing of your PS/DS/School-specific essays. Worst case scenario: you take the October test, either apply and don't have the options you wanted, or wait a year to apply and do something killer with your year off.

icpb

Postby icpb » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:40 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Hello all.

I am currently a sophomore undergraduate who is set on going to law school. I study in the United States, but next year will be spending the academic year at Cambridge (UK).

This really screws up my LSAT schedule. I leave this fall on Sept. 28, so the 2011 Oct. LSAT is out of question. I don't feel comfortable studying for the LSAT at Cambridge as I don't think it would be possible to devote myself to the LSAT while at the same time getting good test scores at Cambridge, which rules out the February 2012 LSAT. I don't return back to the states until June 22, so I really can't take the June 2012 LSAT either.

Basically, this leaves me with the October 2012 LSAT and I would be applying to law school that fall. From what I've read, this does not bode well for my applications. Anyone see any other options? Has anyone else studying on the European calendar been able to find a way around this? I think the LSATs are offered in London, but I really would be hesitant to resort to that.

Thanks!

If you only take the standard two classes at Cambridge for the fall term, I don't see why you wouldn't have time to prep for the LSAT. It seems like the perfect time to prep because classes at Cambridge are very easy. No one would care about your grades at Cambridge if they don't transfer back to your home institution (and affect your GPA) in the US.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:02 am

icpb wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
If you only take the standard two classes at Cambridge for the fall term, I don't see why you wouldn't have time to prep for the LSAT. It seems like the perfect time to prep because classes at Cambridge are very easy. No one would care about your grades at Cambridge if they don't transfer back to your home institution (and affect your GPA) in the US.

I'll be taking three classes (papers?). Unfortunately, my grades do carry over and I need to get a 1st on the exams to get a solid "A" and maintain my GPA, which I realize is fairly difficult. That was the one reason I almost passed up the opportunity to go. After reading here that raw GPA is far more important than where you earned said GPA, maybe I made a mistake.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”